Tuesday, April 21, 2015

How Kits Have Changed the Way I Scrap...

*** Disclaimer: While I am a member of the Cocoa Daisy Design Team, this post was in no way a requirement of my job with them. I did not and will not receive compensation for this article. I write what I am passionate about on this blog and what I feel is worth sharing with you. I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts!


I didn't used to think I was much of a kit club kinda gal. I really like the process of choosing supplies and picking what will go with what. I also like the idea of grabbing bits and pieces of whatever I like...
Plus, what if I subscribed to a kit club and I got something I didn't like?

Honestly, there are a lot of common concerns when it comes to kit clubs.Today, I would like to take a look at some of those and perhaps de-bunk them too!

First up?
What if I get something I don't like?

You know what? That is actually a real possibility. But, wouldn't it be true to say that we often experience the most growth as a person when we step out of our perceived comfort zone?

In my opinion, this is especially true for matters of creativity. Case in point: ribbon. 
I never buy it and I rarely know what to do with it once I have it. 
But, see that photo above? That is ribbon, stapled into little banner-like embellies. And you know what? I LOVE the way it turned out. 

Had I not received it in my kit, I would have never tried that. And now, I have a fun way that I know I like working with ribbon. That, my friends, is what we call creative growth.

What if I don't get enough value for my money?
Another legitimate concern. Now, I can't speak for all kit clubs on this one. But, I speak with great authority and a tidge of insider information regarding the Cocoa Daisy kits. They are all compiled using a formula. Wait. What? You mean they don't just add stuff until they think they can charge enough for it to make a profit?

Nope.

There is a tried and true, real life, functioning, mathematical formula that is used to put the kits together each month. What does this really mean?

It means that you are GUARANTEED to get the most value for your dollar every single time. 

What if none of the colors match my photos?
Here's the thing... see those photos in the detail shot above? They have brown a purple. Was this kit full of brown and purple? Um... no. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a kit these days that is. But, using a white background, some bold black text and a fun mix of buttons makes the photos pop and completes a page perfectly. 

I can't afford to spend that money every month.
You know, I really used to struggle with this one. My thinking was, by the time I buy all the fun stuff that I see all over the place, then add a kit in the mix, I will be WAAAAY over budget and possibly have WAAAAAY too much stuff. 

Well, turns out that the Cocoa Daisy kits are so full of the latest and greatest that I haven't bought any other supplies other than the random adhesive and such.

No kidding. I really do not feel the need to supplement my stash. The CD kits fill it up and then some!

What if I can't decide which kit to get or can't afford all the cool add-ons?
Now, I am going to be really real here. This is a very valid concern. So, I will give you my complete and honest opinion....

If you can only afford one kit, get the Day In The Life (DITL) subscription. 

I recommend this even if you are not a pocket scrapper. For starters, the exclusive designs that are in the Cocoa Daisy DITL kits are unmatched in adorable whimsy. With a piece of cardstock and several DITL cards, you can do a bit of layering and fussy cutting and have a page scrapped in no time! Plus, the DITL kits come with four 6x6 pieces of the exclusive CD papers, as well as adorable embellishments. 

Another thing I love about the DITL kits are all the page prompts hidden in the cards. The sayings, the titles, the images... they all make great starting points for stories! I always come up with new ideas of pages to scrap after flipping through the cards and I love that!

They sell out very fast and truly are a great bang for the buck!

So, how has all of this changed the way I scrap?

I scrap faster: 
Having a box full of goodies that are guaranteed to compliment one another makes for some very fast scrapping indeed

I love all of my pages: 
The design aesthetic of the talented people behind the scenes at CD truly is amazing. I no longer have to worry about some of my paper or color combinations not really working out for me. I love all the pages I make with these kits... all the time! That makes me a very happy scrapper!

I binge scrap: 
I used to scrap a little every day. Now, when my kit comes, I tear into it, squeal with glee, and scrap like a crazy person until all that is left are little bits and pieces. It's actually really fun and I love the creative surge I get when I open my box of goodies!

So, here are some more sneaks that I made from the soon to be released "Sage and Mint" May kits:
See that fun circle doodle stamp? That was created from one of my messy circles! I know anyone can draw a messy circle... but, it is still pretty cool to have one of my scribbles turned into a stamp!

I hope to see you for the reveal night chat on April 28 at 8 pm EST. 

Be sure to head on over to Cocoa Daisy and pick a kit to subscribe to, I promise you won't regret it!

7 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on every point.
    I never thought I was a kit person.
    Until I worked with a kit from a Crop & Create event.
    The next year I went I purchased every kit that they had…..I love kits now :)
    This one looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really well thought out and put together post. I completely agree. I love kit scrapping, it can be a challenge when the kit doesn't quite match your color/style preferences, but when you learn to throw that out the window and be brave with something different, you really do get amazing things you love. I love your sneaks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thought out. I appreciate your honesty. The CD kits look amazing I'd been looking every month for over a year. That's awesome to have your design in a stamp, it's about time! Congrats. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE this post!! so many of the questions i've read in groups over and over! brilliant! and your pages - swoon! oh your pages!! INCREDIBLE! and the circle doodle stamp - EEEEK!!! that's amazing!! you're famous!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, and I love that the next kit will have YOUR stamp! That is just cool!
    BTW, when I read your title, I saw "how KIDS have changed my..." Lol! But that would probably be just as interestingšŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm squealing with delight about this post! Love your sneaks and looking forward to the stamp and/or cut files. I have to agree with you on all points.....the kits really force you to think outside the box and you certainly help with inspiration. I absolutely love what you have created here. Can't wait until your full reveal. Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting!! Your "Messy Circle" is gorgeous! You must be thrilled to see your work transformed for others to use. What an honor! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...