Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Simplifying the December Journal...

Three years ago, I embarked on my very first December Journal. I attacked it with a vengeance, documenting our family traditions, complete with side-by-side photos of christmas past and present. I recorded lots of stories and I love having it on the shelf!

Feeling like I had archived so many of our Christmas stories, I took a simpler approach in 2013 and created a little file folder album full of tags for each day. It truly was a joy to make!

This year, I have been simplifying in general, and am taking that approach with my December Journal, paring things down even more. You might remember seeing this:

I crafted up this simple little stitched book when I guested for Cocoa Daisy.
My plan is to adhere it to a layout when I am done. Why? Well, one less book on the shelf, I suppose. Plus, I like the idea of it living in harmony with my other pages from the year.

So, it needs to be super simple as to not bulk up that layout! And, I am glad about that :)

I am not going by the number of days. There will be no specific day 1, day 2 type entries. Instead there will be lots of journaling. And some photos too, of course.

In other words, I am not going to fuss over having something down for each and every day of December. I will write about what I want to write about, when I want to write about it.

I have a goal of doing more journaling in the new year (more on that in another post) and this will be a great head start!
I am following along with Shimelle's Journal Your Christmas and reading each of those prompts. I will let those ideas simmer in my brain and when I am ready with a story of my own, into the book it will go!

If you have never signed up for this class, I really can't recommend it enough. Her prompts are wonderfully thought provoking and really do help in finding stories within the seemingly mundane. Each and every year she brings new things to the table too. I always look forward to it!
I am also keeping the visual simple. My color palette is limited to red and mint green, touches of gold and silver, and an emphasis on stars. Oh, and white. Lots of white. 
I will document the little things, like the blue atlas cedar that I have been lusting after for so long and finally bought...
 And, of course... bigger stories will get journaled too!
And when December is all said and done... the evidence will be within the pages of this little mini!
Simple is good. Less is more. 

I'll keep you posted!

14 comments:

  1. I love the idea of adding your finished December Daily to a layout, Ashli!! Looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so totally in love with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool approach. I love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful Ashli! I love your simple approach to the Christmas journaling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wonderful!! I am simplifying this year as well. Right now I'm just adding to last years album. Will see how that goes :)
    Hugs ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors, and really love how you make your books. Looking forward to reading more about your journaling. I really want to work on that myself. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree- simple is better. This looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Love the message - simplify, love the color palette, and enjoy the holiday season vs. stressing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So incredibly beautiful! You do white+ colour like no one else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your style--great project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mint and red color scheme and as always, your style is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wondered how did you get those pages into the album? Did you sew them on,one at a time of selected the cardstock and them sewed them all together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I sewed them all at once. Basically, just layered up all my papers I wanted and then folded them in half together... then, stitch down the fold, cover included. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...