Monday, August 11, 2014

A Scratched Up Bow...

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.

We are getting all scratched up this week...


From rubbing with steel wool to sandpaper, giving an aged look with a brown ink pad to crumpling and then flattening back out some paper, or even using a scratched up looking stamp – this week we challenge you to embrace imperfection and get grungy.


One thing that always concerns me when working with Modeling Paste is the potential for it to crack as the paper bends. Well, this week, I am going to use that to my advantage!


Here we are just spreading a thin layer of paste onto some basic white printer paper:

That will take some time to dry, so in the mean time... I crafted up some bows using my favorite Maggie Holmes Die and my Sizzix. Aren't they just the best?!?! I have a vision for these....
 Ah, but first, lets's get back to our experiment. It's all nice and dry...
 ... now, we crumple!
And there it is all flattened out. I know, I know... this looks like one big hot mess, ready for the trash. Don't worry. We will make something fun out of this, I promise...
How exactly are we going to turn this into a thing of beauty, you ask?

First, we paint. With watercolors to be exact...
 This is looking fun now, yes?
 Ooooooh - then, we turn it into a bow! Now, that's what I am talking about!!!
Ok, with those embellies all set, let's scrap!

I do believe some of the leftover scraps from our grungy experiment will make for some wonderful layering papers, but I am not loving the rest of this yet...
Ahhhh.... white. Better already.

I am going through quite the white phase. I can't seem to get enough of the tone on tone layers and such. Turns out, this page is no exception! Isn't that pretty with the layered tissue paper?
 Now that I like the direction I'm going in, it's time to think about all of those bows....
I like the idea of going completely overboard with them. This is a page about my family, so a family of bows might be fun. But, this is not doing it for me. It's too cluttered..
 And now we are talkin'!
Oh - even better! It's not often that I use such a huge title, but it seems to be just the thing here. You know when you are working on something and it just "clicks?" You get so excited and the rest just flows? This is that moment for me...
Now, I want to give these bows a tiny little paint treatment... for texture and to help tone down some of the colors...
 And of course, some more watercolor never hurts either...
Just look at that little grungy, crackled bow, all nestled in...
 And there we have it!



This might be one of my most favorite pages I have ever made. I loved playing with all of those fun bows and patterns.

Plus, I still had plenty of room to journal...
The flexibility of the modeling paste worked out perfectly on that little experiment...
 I might have to do that again!

Okie Dokie!


Now it's your turn...

Go get your crafty grunge on and link-up with us! Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com



How awesome is that?


Here is my supply list :)

20 comments:

  1. I just love those bows!! My daughter was just wearing a tank with a row of those bows down the back and this reminds me of that. So pretty! What an adorable layout overall! Just love the sentiment and the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing how the paste looks crackled. Looks awesome will have to try that. And that crackled bow is beautiful, especially with the soft watercolor. Pretty layout. Beautiful picture. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do you store this layout without ruining the paper bows? love the look but worried about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You know... I don't tend to worry about that. But, I will tell you that the bows aren't as "big" as you might think. And for now, I have it on a little easel in my entryway :)

      Delete
  4. Love this, Ashli! You are always so creative. I love watching your creative process. And those bows are SO cute! Another beautiful layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful page Ashli! I love all the scratched up bows! Such a pretty mix of elements and of course a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous layout, Ashli! The bows look fantastic! Really pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun little BOWS... I love it... light and fun and so get up and create type of attitude... love it.. Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun! This photo is priceless as is the photo :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This layout is so stunning, Ashli!! I love the large photo and bow, and the sweet photo of your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Fab colors and beautiful layering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow.. this layout is so sweet! Love all your cute bows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this!
    You make the best layouts. Seriously. You do a wonderful job documenting your family in such a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful layout! The large photo is fantastic and I love so much your use of white! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an absolutely fantastic trick with the modeling paste! Brilliant! And I really love the sentiment. Your work is always beautiful and witty! It makes me smile and be in awe at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore all your wonderful layers and textures that you've created and the bows are the perfect compliment to a wonderful layout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous Ashli! Love the bows, colours and all the texture. Such a great design too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW Ashli, this beautiful! Your bows are stunning :D Great tutorial, again :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...