Monday, July 7, 2014

A Vision of Flowers...

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.

Fellow DT member, Anna-Karin, suggested a challenge where we make our own flowers. That got us thinking – how about making some project element from scratch? It could be an embellishment with layers, a rosette, a flower, or perhaps you build something or otherwise craft a piece by starting with little more than simple paper or other raw materials. What will you make from scratch?


I like Anna-Karin's idea of handmade flowers. However, I tend to have a hard time incorporating dimensional flowers on my pages. So... I decided to put some punches to use and create some "flowers" of my own. 

To start, I am taking inspiration from last week's "white" challenge and using a tone-on-tone grid design:
 Punches gathered...
And now we punch! I don't have too much of a plan... I do know that I want these flower clusters to be very free-form and to not resemble a literal type of flower. I do, however, want the shapes and design to invoke the feeling of a flower. Hopefully that makes sense...

Here, I am punching out a "hydrangea" petal, as my photo is of hydrangeas. There are tons of tutorials all over the internet on this, but basically you just fold a sheet of paper in half and use the top of your heart punch to create the shape:

With lots of goodies punched, I just start playing with layering...
Some more layering and some title action...

This page is all about how we have been working on our garden for over a decade and it is so satisfying when the reality of the garden matches the vision in your head. I think this works pretty well with the white of the page. A bit of a nod to the "blank canvas," if you will...
With my embellishments all set, it's time to add some subtle color with some watercolor paints...
 And with that, my vision is realized!
 Some flowers created from scratch...
 For a page all about the garden we have created from scratch...
Now it's your turn! I can't wait to see what you make from scratch this week.

Go get crafty and link-up with us! Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com



How awesome is that?


Here is my supply list :)

17 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous layout! Love the punched made flower! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! I love your flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever. I like the grid design. I'll have to search for a tutorial for hydrangea flowers. Your watercolor work is so pretty too. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers in your outside garden and on your layout! Fabulous colors softly blended into the grids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very beautiful! Love all the layered flowers and soft color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how cool, Ashli!
    Very inspirational!
    And I have that blue handled flower punch, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the flowers and embellishments are gorgeous! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! You've made me reach for my punches again. Love the limited color scheme and the water color touches- so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You took a classic grid layout and turned it into something truly fabulous!! I am in awe of the amount of texture that you achieved with a relatively monotone design. It's so fresh!
    Beautiful layout, Ashli!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is brilliant (why am I not surprised) and I love how you used some "old school" tools to create a fresh new look. I have so many punches that I've let get dusty, but I love what you did with them here. I especially liked how you combined the heart with your flower cluster and combined such interesting shapes. I'll have to look at my punches with new Ashli-inspired eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this clever layout, Ashli! The mixture of textured papers and punches is fantastic!


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love, love, love your white flower cluster! I just cut out some white flowers with my silhouette. Needed some inspiration...now I have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning Ashli!! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing layout and wonderful handmade flower! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a gorgeous layout Ashli! Love the layers and watercolours and of course the great grid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another beautiful layout, Ashli...I love all the layers you've created and adore the flower, just fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a really pretty page and I especially like the grid format which you have inspired me to try.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...