Monday, June 23, 2014

Sweet Darling Butterfly

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.

You have them (we all do) – those products that don’t get used nearly enough. Perhaps it is a stamp or maybe it is a particular ink color. Whatever your particular product or technique is – this is your chance to get it used and share!


I decided to put this lovely butterfly die cut to use! I have had it for a bit, but don't use it often enough...

I ran several neutral cardstocks through my Sizzix and am playing around with some tone on tone action...

I like the idea of these being part of the background, so I am going to adhere them to the page using some Matte Medium...

While this will dry clear, the brush strokes will show so I have made a point to place them all in the same direction...

Now, with it all dry, I can play around with some Gesso and watercolor. I love the way the color settles into the crevices in the butterflies...

That's dry and I've placed my picture. Now for the embellishing! I have chosen to leave some of the insides in tact in the die cut shapes. I like the unexpected quality of this. Plus, anything layered over wood veneer is fabulous in it's own right...

With the embellishing all done, I applied some rub ons and added plenty of white penwork...

And there we have it!

My sweet darling, full of butterflies!

Now it's your turn!

Go get crafty and link-up with us! Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.



How awesome is that?


Here is my supply list :)


20 comments:

  1. Butterflies! Love them and your layout is gorgeous and the photo is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty layout and photo. You are so creative. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet layout! Love how you used those beautiful butterflies. The photo is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun die and what a great way to create a background. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful layout! Darling photo! Love all the elegant butterflies fluttering about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful butterfly and a fabulous layout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you made the butterfly a dimensional background :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning layout Ashli, and I love the way you used the butterfly die cut!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning layout Ashli, and I love the way you used the butterfly die cut!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet and pretty, Ashli ... the butterfly background is amazing! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful layout, love the tone on tone background painted with gesso and just a touch a colour. Thank you for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful layout, Ashli! The butterflies made wonderfully creative embellishments. Lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ashli you know I love your way to create layers! Wonderful layers of butterflies!!!! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful, Ashli. Love the dimension ... And that sweet face is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GORGEOUS! I love how your style is broad enough to incorporate bright colors, pastels, grunge, elegance, etc., etc.! Your amazing versatility makes it so fun to see what you're up to each week. Love this layout and the picture is absolutely heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a pretty die Ashli! And your layout is stunning as always. Love the playful feeling that it has.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful and delicate...I love how you've created all the layers and adore the finished layout. You definitely should use that wonderful butterfly more! )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautifully crafted layout Ashli. Thanks for the tip about the stroke direction with the matte medium. The end result is perfectly designed yet still looks free flowing and the soft colour palette works a charm with your adorable photo. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...