Monday, June 9, 2014

Simply Splendid Paint

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.

This week, we are all about paint!

Whether you go acrylic or water, gesso or colorful, base layer or finishing touch – we all love a bit of paint in our creations! From stenciling to backgrounds there are so many techniques and so much that can be done with paint!

I was inspired by the new 8x10 prints by My Mind's Eye to create a little home decor display canvas. After all, I need a place to display the super cute baby photos that we seem to be collecting lately...
 To get started, I have four 6x6 canvases that I am coating with matte medium...
And then I am layering on my 8x10 print. Notice that the canvases are butted up against one another and I am treating this as one piece for the moment...
 With that good and dry, it's time for some paint!
 Simply applying with a paintbrush...
 ...and smooshing it around. One thing that I love about Distress Paint is it's nice fluid quality. It is thicker than watercolor, yet thinner than acrylic paint. It makes for such a lovely finish...
 With the foundation dry, now it's time for some stenciling...
 I must say, that Gesso by Dina is fantastic! It has a wonderful whipped texture... so nice to work with. And, makes for some great stenciling as you can see...
 That is dry, so now for a bit more of the blue. This time I am dabbing it on...
 And spritzing with water...
...to create some drips! Since Distress is reactive with moisture, this works quite well!
I do want this to be a display canvas, so I need some sort of elements to attach my photo. These clothespins are just the thing!
I want them to be attached very strongly, but don't want any shiny glue residue left behind. Matte medium is perfect for this. The hardest part? Waiting for it to dry completely.
OK, we are all dry, and now I can test how my photo works.
I like it!
 Now we can finish embellishing...
Stamps are stamped and embellishments are adhered. This whole time I have been working on these four canvases as though they are one piece. Now it's time to separate them. An craft knife works nicely to cut everything apart...
A little sanding of the edges completes the look...
Working in one piece and separating the parts at the end is a great way to create cohesive balance. It allows for the colors and shapes to flow effortlessly from one part to another...
I also added a little stack of scrap papers behind my photo. The clothespins allow for the photographed to be changed out whenever I see fit.
 Splendid!
I love the way all of those paints worked together, especially the purple watercolor over that lovely blue of the distress!
 And there we have it!
Some Simply Splendid paint indeed!

And now it's your turn! 

Go get crafty and link-up with us!Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.

How awesome is that?

Here is my supply list :)


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful canvases. Absolutely wonderful. I love the color combo, it's very lovely. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous canvases and brilliant idea to feature the sweet baby image. Love that you can hang this on the wall with the four canvases that all go together. Wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is absolutely precious Ashli! Loove this canvas project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this photo is so precious! I love the beautiful colors and textures you created on the canvas, Ashli. So sweet and wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool effects!! Love the textures :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet Ashli!! I love the way you separated the canvas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! Love it! What a great idea! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. This photo is beautiful and touching! Your work is as always wonderful and so delicate! You're really talented!! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep looking at this. I love the watercolor on the paint. What a luscious layer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are always so precious and I love how you've created this wonderful canvas display to showcase such a beautiful photo! I love it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous work of art Ashli! What a fabulous keepsake! The painted background looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your gorgeous background canvas, it looks amazing with this photo. Baby's expression is so beautiful, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous piece Ashli and such a precious photo. Love the canvases you created and the techniques are great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply splendid....and so it is!! Perfect for your photos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...