Thursday, June 26, 2014

Roundup and Recap - June 2014

Hello, hello! June is coming to an end... so, I believe it's time for a little R and R. And by that, I mean...





That's right! Welcome to the end-of-month newsletter style post, here at The Mailbox.

This is the time and place where I will share what has caught my eye around the web, things I am loving, what I hope to try soon, and more...

Let's jump right in, shall we?

When looking back at my posts from this month, it seems that I was on a mixed media kick...

Like my altered We R 4x4 album:
And there were several others. Let's just say that things have been a painty, messy, fun time in the studio lately!



Just yesterday, I was pondering what I might share for this section of my Roundup this month. Within the hour, I received the email from Two Peas In a Bucket regarding their closing. This really was not what I was hoping to share here. So sad and seemingly sudden to us from the outside looking in. 

If you have read my Creative Journey series, then you know what an impact the resources available at Two Peas had on my scrapping.

I have seen various thoughts and opinions all over the interwebs regarding the closing. Positives, negatives, speculations, etc... I won't be adding to that here. I don't feel it necessary. What I do know is that Two Peas was I place I enjoyed frequenting, I spent countless hours and dollars. I learned. I shopped. I pinned. It will be missed.

As with most things, I was late to the party. I have only been scrapbooking since 2011. In those three short years, I uploaded 890 project to the Two Peas Gallery. 890! 

I always loved having an "online portfolio" of sorts. It crossed my mind for about 1/2 a second that I should download my projects and upload them to a Flickr set or something. Then, I came to my senses and realized what a glorious waste of time that would be! HA! So... for posterity, here is a screen-shot of my first layouts:
I do have photographs of every project I have ever made, archived on my external storage. So, they are there for me, but not for you. But, I am pretty sure that will not keep any of you awake at night. :)

I did, however, spend a fair amount of time having a minor panic attack about all of the paid content that I had invested in that "lives" at 2 Peas. Well, thanks to Google and a little time, I was able to archive what I have paid for and for that I am very pleased. YAY!

However, the question remains... where to go from here? 


Well, to elaborate on the above mentioned closing of Two Peas...

I always liked participating in a public gallery. And while I rarely posted on the 2 Peas Forum, I did enjoy perusing it from time to time.

So... where are you all heading?

I spent some time today checking out various options... Studio Calico, Cocoa Daily, Gossamer Blue, Get it Scrapped, Scrapbook. com...

Here's the thing, though... I don't sub to a kit. Is it OK to participate in a kit club's community if you don't subscribe? I am just not sure how that works or if I would feel "right" doing that. Is that weird of me to think that? Thoughts?

Also, for me to want to visit a website daily and to participate in the gallery and forums, it has to be easy to use and visually pleasing. And by visually pleasing, I mean simple. I really don't want to be staring at the "Times Square" of the internet, if you know what I mean...

So... tell me, where will you be uploading to? What community are you planning on participating in?

  • Perhaps a decision on where to have my online gallery?
  • Some fun projects at A Flair For Buttons.
  • A video or two!
  • Lots of Camp Scrap fun. Will I see you there?
As always, thanks for stopping by and reading my ramblings. Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I was sad to hear about Twopeas as well! I didn't shop there much, or use the forums but I loved the gallery. I've been uploading my projects to flickr today so that I still have an "online portfolio" of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea - I've been a member of 2 peas for a long time and would lurk - I did have a gallery and participated in their heritage fun, and I enjoyed looking at others. Your's was a favorite of mine for inspiration. Scrapbook.com might be a nice fit. I lurked there for awhile as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Club CK closed, I migrated over to Get It Scrapped. It's where I post the most these days. I did make a portfolio of my work on Pinterest. I pin from my blog and from DT posts around the web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I should say, "Sorry for your loss, " or something similar. My heart truly does go out to you because you have lost a community in which you invested heavily. I imagine it feels like someone has made your home disappear; absolute sympathy and support there.

    I have participated with some consistency at scrapbook.com since 2008. The forums host a great community, and my personal experience is that it is easier to get your projects noticed if you participate in the community challenges. The gallery is super easy for uploading. Downside, no awesome YouTube videos from anything resembling a design team (that's my loss from Two Peas).

    Recently, I also started participating some at A Cherry On Top. They have been open and supportive of new members on a level that kind of blows my mind. There's more commentary on uploaded projects, but the upload process is. ... Well, maybe it's just different from what I was used to. Current drawback is that they have spent about a week getting their message boards back up, so there is a temporary message board. It's a slight mess.

    I, too, feel uncomfortable socializing in kit club forums, especially when they are no longer receiving my money. Plus, I haven't subscribed to any one for longer than 5 months at a time. It takes me longer than that to start feeling settled anywhere. No matter what site you choose, I advise you to take your time, no pressure. You'll find a new home and it will be beautiful for you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of my scrapbook pages and other projects are uploaded to Flickr in albums, because I wanted galleries but I also wanted to be able to easily use the photos in blog posts, and I host all my blog photos on Flickr already. It was a win-win for me. So I'm going to stay on Flickr for my galleries, at least. I had already stopped participating much in the forum discussions at Two Peas in the last couple of months, so I'm not hurting too badly there, but I will miss the opportunity to come back to it if I want in the future. I hope you find a place to join the community that will suit your needs! I'll let you in on a secret, though - Katie (who commented above) are working right now on bringing back our challenge blog and the accompanying Flickr group, in hopes that some lost Peas will find their ways to us and maybe have a new home. So I'll keep you updated on that! We're hoping it will fill the hole Two Peas has left in some people's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am super sad about 2Peas too. I wasn't super active in recent years, but I still checked in every week to see what was going on, to watch videos, to pin from the gallery and to shop. I spent a great deal of money there over the years. I'm still looking at various MB's. Just registered at paperclipping and am anxious to see how that develops. Will check out Get It Scrapped too. I am going to pin all my layouts (pre blog days) to my pinterest board and will use that as my online portfolio. I suppose I'll be in a fix if Pinterest ever goes away..... That's a worry for another day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'll miss two peas. it was the first scrapbooking website I stumbled across - and for a long time, the one I frequented...

    did you see paperclipping added a forum?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have come a long way sister in three short years!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...