Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Four, Eight and Under...

It occurred to me recently, that for a short period of about six months, I will have four children, ages eight and under. This is something that will only happen once. I have never been able to say that before and won't be able to say it again once my oldest turns nine.

This is, of course, a time of chaotic fun and complete joy mixed with a good dose of daily challenges! I think this is the perfect thing to document in a mini book, don't you?

In fact, I have had one of those cute little 4x4 albums from We R Memory Keepers and I think it's just the thing for this project!

Once I had this idea, I went round and round in my brain about how to effectively alter the cover. You may know that the We R albums are covered in a lovely faux leather material. Durable, and somewhat slick... but, how to alter?

I certainly didn't want to sand down or rough up the lovely finish, but I did want to add a title. For some reason, I just couldn't wrap my brain around this. I was toying with the idea of thickers, but then... how to glue down nicely? Then, there are die cut letters, but the same issue with adhesive still remains. After all, when I do a cover of a mini, I want it to be super durable. I typically cover the whole thing in Matte Medium. But, that won't work on this surface as it would compromise the beauty of the existing material.

Hmmmmm....

Ok, really - this is actually quite obvious and once my brain finally landed on the right idea, I wondered what on earth my problem was and why it took so long to come up with this plan...

PAINT!
Hello?
That's perfect....

Now that my confusion has subsided about how to tackle this little album, let's get started with that paint! First up... a little Distress dabbed around...
A simple dry brush helps blend that about. I want to add color, but don't want to cover up the beautiful blue material that is already there...
 And now for a bit of alcohol ink dabbed around with a baby wipe...
With that all blended and dry, let's play with this fun little lady stencil by Balzer Designs. After all, I do have four little ladies...
With the stenciling dry, I want a bit of grey paint to rub around and let some of the white stenciling pop. But, I don't have a grey paint. Not to worry! A simple smooshie of the Archival Ink on my surface, mixed with white paint... and there we have custom grey!
Now for stamping on the title...
Would you believe that I had the title almost completely done and then realized that I wanted it at the bottom instead of the top? Luckily, this paint takes a bit to dry on this surface!
Moving on.

There it is, stamped properly. Now, for playing with some embellishments...
I just love the way those Pretty Little Studio feathers work with that FLAIR piece from A Flair For Buttons! Wondering how I glued those on? Good ole' Tacky Glue. Love that stuff!
Once my cover was good and dry, I sprayed everything with a matte fixative. This just insures that everything is good and protected and nothing is going to rub off.

And there we have it!
 An album ready to fill... all about this special time with my little ladies...
All four of them, eight and under!

I plan on filling it with lots of goodies from the coordinating We R album insert set. As well as plenty of FLAIR.
Check back next week for more on that :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Love the way you altered this cover, Ashli!! What a great beginning to this album for your girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the new cover for your mini Ashli! Great idea with the paint and ink...will totally lift that idea fer sure! :) With all 3 of our sons grown and out of the home...there are those days I do miss those daily challenges...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now it is totally your style Ashli! Love that you have tackled something most of us would shy away from and the mix of media/stencilling has made this completely unique and beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what you get up to inside. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have a lot of family support to cope with four young girls and yet still find yourself creative time in a day. Design ideas can be hard enough at the best of times but after running around after a big family, I always admire how you can switch from one mindset to another, within the time constraints you must have

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out awesome!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, Ashli!!! So beautiful, and so very "you"!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful cover, very lovely. Just love to see what you have going on in your craft room. Thanks for sharing your technique. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful!
    I've been looking at those albums. I love the tiny format. It's good to know that they can be easily altered. Rather, you make it look easy. You've got a lot of talent. ;)
    I'm looking forward to seeing more in your little album.

    btw...I just received those alphabet stamps myself. I was surprised at how large they actually are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your small album is lovely, What a great idea and way to make it your own:) Thanks for the inspiration! Have a wonderful day! ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like how you will take what most of us see as a finished product, like the album, and totally make it your own!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. Great topic and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...