Monday, June 16, 2014

Enjoy the Inspiration...

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.

This week, anything goes! That's right... grab your supplies and let the inspiration guide you!


I was inspired this week by some of my favorite Children's books:
The story is sweet, but the illustrations just knock my socks off! The spread below is one of my favorites and it is going to serve as my inspiration...
 Here I am, all ready. Supplies pulled, and inspiration piece propped up...
 To get started, I am playing with a basic grid design, sketching it out with my pencil...
I thought it might be fun to reference the house in the inspiration painting, so I have sketched that out as well...
Now, I am just applying some paint all over my page in that informal grid design. First I applied some Gesso, and now I am playing with some watercolor...
Hmmm... the background is certainly reflecting my inspiration piece, but it is just seeming too busy with my photos.  
OK... time to regroup! I must say, I stared at the above paper for waaaay too long... just unsure of where to go...

And when in doubt, cut it up! As you can see below, I cut up the original background paper that I made and am now layering it up under my photos on a white background...
And you know what? That did the trick! Once I had that settled, I simply fussy cut some pieces and sprinkled some embellishments on the diagonal...
 And a piece of the background served as a lovely place for my journaling...
 And there we have it! 
I just love starting with an inspiration point like that... it always takes me in unexpected directions!

And now it's your turn! Remember... anything goes...

Go get crafty and link-up with us! Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.
How awesome is that?


Here is my supply list :)



19 comments:

  1. I love the magical watercolor look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely layout and I loved seeing how you created your beautiful background based on the children's books. Beautiful inspiration and beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to see your process while you create. I love that when things are going south, you mix it up and make it work anyway. That illustration in that book is absolutely gorgeous! I can see why it inspired you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful layout and I really enjoyed learning about your process for it : ). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful layout, Ashli. Love those cute photos and fabulous embellishments. Great inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Ashli! Love the soft colors. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I think it's wonderful that you find inspiration for your layouts in everyday things. That is truly living an artful life, which is quite lovely in itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely starting point, and what a delicious outcome... love this!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty layout. I love that you cut up everything and started again. Your layering and the embellishments placed diagonally is awesome. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty layout Ashli! Love the ink splattered background and all your attention to detail! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you used the illustration for inspiration, Ashli!! And great idea repurposing your other paper!! Love your gorgeous page!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the trail of ephemera through these fun pictures! Nice page!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE how this turned out and especially loved your inspiration. I am a mega, through-and-through, 100% book nerd so your inspiration really spoke to me! It is always a treat to see what you've dreamed up and where the inspiration started. I truly love your aesthetic and this is another winner in my book (get it? Since we're talking about books? Cheesy me!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. so glad to have found you in Simon says stamps blog, I love your scrapbooking! I'm watching all your blog by now... you have a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ashli as always you made a wonderful layout! What a great inspiration for you these books ! I Love soft colors and the layers! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's one of the loveliest layouts I have seen in a long time Ashli, just gorgeous. I have never seen those books before and I can see why you were inspired, the illustrations are wonderful. I am inspired to get a bit of paint and glue out this evening. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful layout, Ashli! I adore the colour palette you've chosen and I love your inspiration behind this project ~ just wonderful and thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic layout Ashli and such sweet inspiration. LOVE all those gorgeous layers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think cutting up the paper and layering it was a great idea! The layers are gorgeous and the pencil lines are a nice accent to it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...