Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Vacationing with the Scraps...

I recently "cleaned" my desk. The word cleaned is in quotations because, well... let's face it, clean is a relative term. At any rate, once things were "clean enough," I still had a mound of scraps on my desk. Not wanting to throw them away, I did the only other logical thing...

I put them in a bin and packed them to take on our beach vacation!
Knowing full well that most of my evening hours at the beach would be spent with our new little one, I didn't plan a daily journal to work in or a pile of projects to complete. Besides, packing an ambitious project would only lead to frustration as I would most likely not be able to execute it. 

Frustration is not what I want in my scrapping. Ever. Especially on vacation. So... I packed a very light back of fun scrappy things. Some stamps, a few stickers, 2 pages kitted up, my watercolors, and some basics like scissors and glue. And... all of those scraps, of course!

Those binders you see in the picture? Little scrapbooks for the girls to work on too. See? I'm even sharing my bag!

So, here it is... all ready to head to the beach...
I am quite grateful that my family not only put up with, but also encouraged me to have my goodies set up on the table all week and I was able to work on my layout in little 5 minute bits, much like I do at home. Yay!
I was able to grab a few minutes here and there to shuffle things around until I got to this point. Not too sure about the composition, I snapped a picture of the layout on my phone and laid in bed, staring at the page and pondering...

Please tell me I am not the only one who does that? 
Anyway, I decided to change things up and come morning, I had a new plan for this page. Well, it's a good thing I wasn't too attached to my previous page design, because in the middle of the night, the floor lamp, complete with glass shade, fell over and broke all over the table!

YIKES! Now, I am all for thinking outside the box and using unconventional materials. But, I draw the line at shards of glass...

I'm just glad it happened when no one was sitting there!
So, with the glass carefully picked up, I set about completing my new design idea. And, here it is!

If you look really close, you can even see a spot on the bottom left of the photo where the glass made a slight cut...
 Who says scrapbooking isn't an extreme sport?
 Ahhh... the adventure continues!
What happened to the rest of those scraps? There are still in the bin I packed them in. I am sure they will find there way to lots of pages!

Thanks for stopping by. I'll see you soon!

7 comments:

  1. That gives a whole new definition to a "light bulb going off"!! HA! :) The page design is fabulous Ashli, and I love the soft, muted color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your page and I totally relate to scrapping in 5 minute blocks around a new wee one. I have a similar set up on our dinning room table at the moment, and also have an understanding family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say I've taken a pic of a layout but I have pondered for days over things, usually color or photo placement. It's a wonderful layout and I love that patterned paper too. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stories within stories. Good thing everyone was asleep so no one was in the way of the falling lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really awesome use of the scraps. Love what you did. I know I hate throwing away scraps.. what if I need that piece for just that little place/space.. Glad to know I am not the only one.. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep I don't like throwing away scraps either and boy you make them look good

    ReplyDelete
  7. very beautiful page! I am charmed with the lacy buyyerflies you used on this page. Did you make them yourself? Could you please make a few for me? I want to make a girly album for my daughter and I need in all sorts of the same papers and establishments. Can you help me please& i am grateful a lot!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...