Thursday, May 22, 2014

Leftover Cards...

I have a box that sits out on my desk. Well, I have lots of boxes like that. But, this one in particular holds odds and ends, bits of paper that can be considered cut-aparts, border strips, and my limited collection of journaling cards....
Unfortunately, this box has become a big problem for me. It has become so jammed packed with things that I hardly ever look through it. Time to change that!

First, I pulled everything out of the box and sorted two different piles, one to keep in the box (on the left) and one to use or loose (on the right).
 Um, yeah - thats a pretty big stack of "use it or loose it..."
Next, I sorted items from that pile into stacks... things that would go nicely together, things that would layer well, etc. I chose 3-5 things per stack.
Once I had all of my stacks made, I tucked each one of them inside of a blank card. They were then set to the side on my desk and as time permitted, I layered up all the bits and adhered them to the front of the card. 
Before I knew it, I had LOTS of cards! Gotta love some quick and easy card making with things that would otherwise have gone in the trash, or to the donation bin!
Look at all of those! YAY!
When I do make the rare card, I tend to just do one at a time. I love that this allowed me to still work in a singular fashion, but to create multiples in no time. It feels so good to have cards waiting in the wings when I have someone special to send one to!
I also love that because these were items from my stash that I was no longer completely attached to, I was more free and didn't think to much about how each one came together.
 The results are fun to see - so carefree!
I mean really, if I was starting completely from scratch, I would not set out to combine a triangular die cut negative with a scrap of mixed media work, a butterfly, and a camera. But, when working this way... that's what happens. And, I LOVE it!

Thanks for joining me today. Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Great great idea! I have LOTS LOTS of them in until my plastic drawer cannot handle them anymore... gotta use them :D THANKS for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Those came out awesome! I have a box just like that and maybe I need to dig in and use some of that stuff. I started a new job a couple weeks ago and it is kicking my butt and stole my mojo but this looks like a great jumpstart. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh......I absolutely love your cards. What a fabulous idea! Its my first time visiting.......love your style:) happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool and creative. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great idea--I am just getting into card making--will prep some in your way this weekend I think--thanks for the bright idea!! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so awesome!!!!! You rock my world with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so fun Ashli, and a great way to use those leftover pieces and make room for new leftovers!! HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great cards! Thanks for some wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous idea and you ended up with tons of great cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! So many times those scraps just disappear. Like your idea of turning them into cards - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A superb way of using up your scraps. Must give this a go. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! Thank you for showing your process. In your hands, lovely creations came from that scrap pile. So fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ashli your cards look fab! when i start scxrapping, i keep telling myself i'm gonna make cards with my leftover scraps before i clean things up, but then i forget.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this idea, Ashli! Truly inspiring! Those cards are beautiful! Super cool!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...