Monday, May 26, 2014

An Artsy Intro...

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.

This week, we are talking "artsy stamps!" It might be a background, a hand-drawn image, a sketchy texture stamp, or a special saying. We challenge you this week to get out your artsy stamps and play!


I just love the look of the wood veneer heart paper from Dear Lizzy's Daydreamer collection. As soon as I got my hands on these new Dina Wakley Heart Stamps, I thought they would be perfect to create a die-cut heart page of my own.

To get started, let's play with some modeling paste!
I want to try making impressions into the paste using the stamps, so I am just spreading it onto my card stock base...
 and pressing it in...
 hmmm... maybe practice will make progress with this technique?
Ah yes - it turns out that the thinner the paste and the less pressure I give to the stamp, the better the impression...
 Now, that will take a bit of drying, so while we wait, let's do some white heat embossing...
 To use as a resist with some watercolors...
 Once the modeling paste was dry, I also applied some watercolors an then I simply cut out each heart...
Now it's time to assemble my "page." I have pulled out a scrap piece of card stock to use as a guide for size. I don't plan on adhering anything to this page, it is merely a guide to assure that I don't go outside of a 12x12 boundary...
 Using my tacky glue, I place down hearts, glue, and weigh them down with my water spray bottle...
Once the hearts are thoroughly dry, we can embellish! This page will serve as the intro to my art journal scrapbook that I am working on for my girls. I wrote out my title and cut it out and now I am just playing with lots of fun die cut bits and pieces...
 With things embellished, I used a page protector as a template to space and punch my holes...
And then I painted the entire back of the page with a thick coat of white paint. Not only does this add strength to the hearts, but allows for a nice base to decorate or journal on at a later date...
 And there we have it!
My take on the fabulous wood veneer heart page by Dear Lizzy, using those amazingly versatile heart stamps!
 An intro into an album full of things that I hope my girls will always remember...
And there it is in the album! I plan on adding an additional page in between this one and the one that currently follows to allow those hearts to pop even more...

I had so much fun playing with my artsy stamps this week! I can't wait to see how you interpret this challenge.

So... Go get crafty and link-up with us!Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.
 


How awesome is that?

Here is my supply list :)

23 comments:

  1. This is sooo lovely! Such great use of those stamps. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. Love so much the texture in the hearts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... those hearts are so beautiful! Love your fabulous page with such pretty embellishments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awe inspiring! I recently fell in love with modeling paste, so I will definitely try your ideas soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So creative. Love what you did here. Awesome and inspiring. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful layers, Ashli! I love that you stamped directly in the paste. Fabulous results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous texture and I love the layered hearts and pastel colour palette. Very effective. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the Dina Wakley heart stamps...have a set myself :) I think this is an awesome use to make a beautiful artsy page for the girls' book! Beautiful job Ashli!~!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those hearts soaring off the page...nice tutorial...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun page! Love the idea of the artsy hearts! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! so so creative!! Maybe a process video of this in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! I really love all the layered hearts, Ashli! Looks fantastic :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic project Ashli! All the layered artistic hearts look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Ashli!! I love the techniques you used to create the hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ashli you are incredible! love your techinques to create the hearts and I can only repeat myself: you're the queen of the layers! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am really starting to think that you are a layout GENIUS!!! This is amazing and I love how you not only repeated the hearts in such a visually stunning way, but how you made them so beautiful and detailed from the get-go! You are always inspiring and I love perusing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is so much work and detail in this fabulous layout and so many wonderful techniques to feast your eyes on. I absolutely love the hearts and it's just a wonderful piece of work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at all those wonderful textured hearts!! Love them. Fabulous layout Ashli!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I adore the texture and layers of he hearts! Beautiful idea to use the paste as a resist behind the colors. Fabulous layout!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lighter than air in colour and texture - this is absolutely amazing!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE the layering and texturing of these hearts Ashli. You truly are a creative and inspirational free spirit. Thank you for suggesting reaching for the scraps collection! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...