Monday, April 14, 2014

A Look Back at the Luna...

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.

DT member Tracy suggested “winged things” as a topic and it got us thinking! Would we use a favorite bird stamp? Add fairy wings to something? Create a tag featuring a spring scene? Accent a scrapbook page with butterflies? There are so many possibilities… perhaps we could do something travel inspired with an airplane or journal about what we would do if we were actually a winged thing…


I took this opportunity to scrap about a sculpture I made way back in Art College...

When I saw that pack of 7 Gypsies butterfly rub-ons, I knew I wanted to play with them. I just wasn't sure exactly how. Then, I stumbled upon these old photos and the wheels started turnin'....
 With all the butterflies cut out...
 I rubbed them on and now want to tone them down with some white paint...
I like the way this is looking, but want to add in some watercolors. So, I am just spritzing the whole page with some tap water...
 Ah yes... that is lovely...
 Photos in place and now for some embellishments...
 Some washi...
 And there we have it!
Thanks to those fun rub-ons, this page came together super fast. And, was quite a delight to take a trip down memory lane.
This wire sculpture of a giant luna moth was a proud moment for me in art school. It was even the first piece that I sold. I often wonder what became of it. This was before the age of cell phones, emails, instagram, and the like. I really have no way of knowing where the kind lady is that purchased it...
But, at least I have these photos scrapped and in my album!

So... now it's your turn! Go get crafty and link-up with us!
Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.

How awesome is that?

Here is my supply list :)

14 comments:

  1. Hi Ashli, lovely layout. Love the wooden clouds and the flurry of butterflies too which add wonderful movement to your design. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic butterfly layout! I love the wall hanging that you have in your photo and the design highlights the beauty of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful sculpture. How awesome you sold it, and you had a couple pics to remember it. I love what you do with white paint. It adds something special. Just a lovely layout. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. the background with all the beautiful butterflies is amazing, Ashli. Love your gorgeous layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love to read your posts!
    The light wash over the butterflies is a simple, yet wonderful technique.
    Beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this layout, Ashli and that wonderful background, with those gorgeous butterflies is amazing. It's really beautiful work and a fabulous design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous - I've been eyeing those butterflies too, and now I won't be able to resist any longer. And what a beautiful sculpture you created too...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun layout, Ashli! I love all the layering!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic layout! Love how you toned down the butterflies. Really helps them flow into the background paper. And the wood veneer pieces are adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful layout, Ashli. Love the way everything came together. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashli ​​I really love the way you change and customize the embellishments and all the details of your layout! You have turned those butterflies so bright in light and ethereal elements that give a special atmosphere to your work! Beautiful!! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how you used those rub-ons here Ashli, making them a part of the background. Stunning layout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this layout and am always so excited to see what creative wonders you've dreamed up! I wish I could do layouts, but staring at a blank 12 x 12 page gives me hives! I'm too big of a chicken to give it a go yet, but really admire those people like you who are layout geniuses!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...