Friday, March 14, 2014

Weaving a Card...

It's not everyday that you turn 70. That is a big deal, right? Well, today happens to be my dear father's 70th Birthday! It is indeed difficult to come up with a gift worthy of the major accomplishment of 70 years well lived. 

When we first told my family that we were expecting, his birthday was in fact my original due date. I told him that i was "working" on the perfect present for his 70th... his fourth grandchild!

But alas, the doctor and ultrasound technician disagreed and moved my due date 2 weeks later. So, for now a few gifts and a card will have to do for his celebration this weekend.

For this card, I thought it might be fun to play with weaving in the background. Here you can see my print out of the words "happy birthday to you" repeated down the page, as well as my card base...

To get this little weaving started, I have a scrap piece of paper and am simply stapling strips of the happy birthday text on...
 And then weaving in strips along the opposite way...
 Until I have something likey so...
With that all trimmed down, let's get started with some painterly play. I want this "70" to be in the negative, so I have adhered some Amy Tangerine vellum numbers down and am about to outline them with a thin black pen...
I do love the way watercolor takes to slightly damp white paint, so I have brushed some on here and then we can proceed with the lovely watercolors. Dad's favorite color is red so that is the chosen hue for today...
And a little orange can't hurt either. In fact, Dad is somewhat color blind so he probably won't notice anyway :)

Now, a little pick helps peel off those numbers...
Ah yes! Isn't it fun when things turn out like you had envisioned in your head? I love it! Now, just a little more red in the form of a watercolor pencil...
 And now just for a few embellishments...
With things all layered up, I am wanting a black and white stripe behind everything, just to set it off and frame it nicely. However, I can't seem to come up with anything in the ole stash. So... a little scrap and some layered up washi should do the trick...
 Indeed it does!
For the inside, a scrap of the happy birthday text, a bit more watercolor, and a fun little sticker...
 And that pretty much does it!
Why the plane? Well, for one... it is the right color and I like that it acts as an arrow of sorts. Plus, dad loves to fly and even had his pilot's license at one point...
 Happy Birthday, DAD!
 I have no doubt that your spirit will stay young forever!
Here's to many more!

Thanks for stopping by everyone and have a lovely weekend!

7 comments:

  1. That has turned out sooooo adorable. He's going to love it of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome card! Thank you for the torturial :o)
    Have a wonderful day :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome card. Very cool. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome card. Very cool. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great card for your Dad, Ashli!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really fun card, Ashli! I can't believe what a big difference putting the striped washi background behind the card front makes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really are so inventive with paper. Love the graphic look of this amazing card. Gotta try this!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...