Monday, February 17, 2014

Making the First Cut

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog. This week we are all about cameos!

Isn't it fun when you are watching a TV show and some actor you like (from another show) pops on an episode? And of course, we all love vintage cameos as well as vintage inspired cameos such as the beautiful ones from Webster’s Pages. So what will make a cameo appearance in your next craft project?


I must admit, my mind went on a bit of a tangent with this week's challenge. The first thing that came to my mind was movies, then I thought of my Tim Holtz filmstrip die. That lead me to think of the phrase "make the cut," which in turn had me thinking of my daughter's first haircut. 

So, let's scrap that story and feature that fun film strip die!

Here I have lots of bits and pieces gathered, along with my photos. As you can see, I am going for a yellow, black and white color scheme. Why? Well, mostly because I just love the way that goes with black and white photos. But also because I want to play with some mixed media and what a nice white canvas to work on...
Here I am just starting to play around with my layout. I really like the idea of nestling the smaller images amongst the film strip...
But, I was having trouble with that large Heidi Swapp piece, so I ended up playing around with some other layers and came up with this. 

Wondering what that larger, dimensional piece is with the painted alphas? Well, it is just that! I had some random letter stickers and simply put them on a scrap of cardstock and added paint. Easy! In fact, I worked that up a while back. It's a great way to stash bust and get rid of some extra things lying around. Once it was dry, I simply filed it away with my box of layering pieces and it patiently waited for the right project. 

Don't have random letters? No worries, I do believe a piece of embossed chipboard or grunge board all painted up would certainly add the same amount of lovely texture.
I quite like that, but want to do a bit of work to the background before I commit completely. First, some pencil lines to mark out where my cluster will be:
Then some wonky pencil lines:
Layered up washi tape and white paint:
With my layered elements back in place, I finish things off with a bit of watercolor...
And a hand cut title...
And there we have it!
This film strip was the perfect starting point for this layout...
All about my daughter's first hair cut!

Alrighty! Now it's your turn. I can't wait to see how you interpret this unique challenge. Go get crafty and link-up with us! 

Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.

How awesome is that?

Here is my supply list :)



22 comments:

  1. this project may be one of my favorite processes (though I ALWAYS love seeing your process) and finished pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Ashli - the black, white and yellow really works well together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout, Ashli! Love all the layers! Really pretty. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely layout Ashli, I love the yellow and white colour palette. The film strip us a lovely touch. Very pretty. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! Love the colors and the layers and the design! Oh yeah, I love everything in this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just have the cutest "muse's", Ashli! :) I love this layout and the pop of yellow is a great contrast to the b+w photos.

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous layout Ashli!! Love the colours and all the wonderful layers. Those pencil lines in the background are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful layout. I love the sunny colors. Sometimes the process takes us by surprise and our creative processes flourish. This is a perfect example. A layout to be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hullo Ashli,

    Incredible, all your layers and how you put them together to become something so beautiful. I think your leaving plenty of white space too, draws the eye to your beautiful subject, your daughter. So much to love about your layout!

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how this one turned out (but then again, I love how all of your projects turn out, so that's not a shocker)! The color palette was unique and I really liked all of the cool angles and layers you created. I also really enjoyed your interpretation of this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous Ashli!! Love the film strip in your design and the pretty mix of White and Yellow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty layout. I love that filmstrip. Perfect accent. I like seeing your process and love your attention to detail. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous, gorgeous layout Ashli and the attention to detail is second to none. There is just so much to look at in this page and it's just so very pretty. I absolutely adore it... :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so brilliant - I love the steps from the lines on the page to seeing those lines all filled in with papers and tape - fabulous composition!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome layout! So cool to see all your steps and how all the layers come together. Very fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love hearing your thought process which led up to the completion of your layout!
    Just lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're the queen of the layers! I love the color palette you choose, fresh and spring and your photos are always beautiful! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply Stunning. I love the layering of the yellows and the focal point of your adorable daughter. This is just beautiful all around. Love how you arrived on your project too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... this layout is awesome! I love the beautiful layers and sweet color scheme on your layout, Ashli. Your step by step is fantastic! Thank you for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very pretty Ashli! Love all the layers and pretty color palette! Such sweet photos! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a pretty way to remember her first hair cut Ashli...I love the colors...

    Hugs
    Nancy T.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...