Thursday, January 2, 2014

When the Ink Runs Out...

Hello, hello! Happy 2014! 

Before we get too far into the new year here at The Mailbox, let's tie up some loose ends from 2013, shall we?

In my last post, I mentioned that it might have been a good idea to have a spare printer cartridge lying in wait as I was completely reliant on home printing for my December Album. Ah yes... well... I ran out of ink, and it seems Amazon Prime is not at it's Prime during Christmas. So, I was left to wait. And wait....

But, I am not that easily stopped! While yes, I did actually need and want to print real picts for my album, I didn't see why I couldn't get a little creative with my resources while I anxiously awaited that mail delivery.

I knew I wanted to scrap a page that would serve as a "marker" in my 12x12 album regarding our Christmas and that more information could be found in the December 2013 album. But, the only picts of our tree were in the computer and not on paper. Having already established that my home printing was on hold, I was left with a bit of a quandary.

I should also mention that in the mean time, I had been cleaning in the studio... tossing and using up supplies in anticipation of new goodies soon to come.

Bottom line? I wanted to scrap and didn't have a whole lot on hand.

Well, I did manage to find some old card stock. You know the kind we all used to buy to make our resumes stand out? HA! Yep - still had some of that. So, off to Photoshop I went to play around with an extremely underexposed photo of our tree. 

Back in the day, in Graphic Design school, we had a rule... something to the effect of "just because you CAN do it in Photoshop, doesn't mean you SHOULD." Let's just say I broke that rule. A lot. 

Every filter and effect was applied until I had something that I thought might print out on my regular ink jet printer. And then I realized that I was short on alphas, due to all the stash busting and such. So, I wrote out and hand cut a title, grabbed some scraps that had been spared and was finally on my way to a page!
But, before I glue all that down, I want a little something special on the background. I love that this paper has stars already cut out of it, but I want to add more. Embossing it is!
With that done, I decided it might be fun to have a super subtle tone on tone dipped look on this cream title with some white embossing...
Well, that was indeed super subtle. Really, you can't tell at all. HA! But hey, always good to practice the embossing skills, right? Moving on...

Stars? Yes!
 Coming together...
I added lots of little embellishments and some lovely Flair from A Flair For Buttons...
And adhered the background page with some pop dots for dimension...
And there it is! Not too bad for limited resources...

Oh, but sure enough, Christmas came and went and Prime went back to actually being Prime and my ink arrived! YAY! So.... I finished my tags...

Days 16-20:
 These days were full of routine things...
 And extra special things...
 And the final days... 21-25:
 So many blessing...
And a wonderful Christmas was had, here at soapHOUSE!
 I truly enjoyed filling up this album of tags as the month went by:
 Lots of memories...
 And fun bits...
If you missed my previous posts about how this album came together, you can check them out here:
The Holiday Preparations Begin
File Folders, Pockets, Tags, and Journaling
Gifts, Flair, December Albums, and The Roundtable
 All filled up!
And that, my friends brings Christmas 2013 to a close! With a gorgeous piece of Flair, of course!
So, here's to making the most of what we have on hand, scrapping when we want to, and ringing in the new year with plans of creative play! 

Have a great weekend and see you soon!

9 comments:

  1. Your page and your album are both beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Love all the eclecticness and the tags are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This page has to be a fav. Love it! And the tags are alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely resourceful, Ashli. Lovely page. So soft and pretty and I love how your tags turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute Christmas album. The washed photo is awesome, and I love how it is something different and unique too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps. Love that photo of you! I like the longer/wavy hair a lot :)

      Delete
  6. Lots of great projects, Ashli!! I love the effects you added to your christmas tree photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That was very creative. Despite the limited resources, your works turned out very beautiful. Now I'm wishing you have finally bought a printer ink to show us what you can do with it. :)

    Fletcher Hevey @ ConcordSupplies.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Now I know why you flipped the right side of the file folder up....a closure!! Brillant!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...