Friday, January 31, 2014

Roundup and Recap - January 2014

Hello, hello! January is coming to an end... so, I believe it's time for a little R and R. And by that, I mean...




That's right! Welcome to the end-of-month newsletter style post, here at The Mailbox.

This is the time and place where I will share what has caught my eye around the web, things I am loving, what I hope to try soon, and more...

Let's jump right in, shall we?



I achieved a long-time goal and opened up a little Etsy Shop! The support has been wonderful and I can't thank you all enough! 


I also had the pleasure of sharing a video over at shimelle.com. If you missed it, be sure to check it out!




CHA. Need I say more? I have a Pinterest board where I pin my MUST haves and it has been filling up quickly lately. I know, you have all seen your fair share of the new goodies yet to come, but I thought I might highlight the things I am most intrigued and excited about. And perhaps some things I am not too sure about either :)


SO, first up....

Let's take a look at the collections I will buy. And when I say "will buy," I mean...buy ALL. OF. IT!

This is actually a rare thing for me. In years past, I have always cherry picked from a lot of different collections. And, I will still do that. But, I have learned that there are certain designers and companies that just work for me. I have also learned that even if I am unsure about a particular piece in their collection, I will still buy it as I trust their work and want to try things and step out of my comfort zone.

Case in point....

It is completely gorgeous! I am totally SOLD. Except... 

I am not one to gravitate toward the "cutesy" little girl images. But there is just something about this Dear Lizzy one that intrigues me. She is sweet. I think I like her. I am willing to give her a try:
One of the things I am most excited about with this collection? This die set...
I love all the pieces in it, but those hearts are sheer perfection! They have the most perfect hand-drawn appeal to them and can be nested. I love a good heart and my favorite kind... asymmetrical, can be hard to find. I will be scooping these up ASAP!

Another one that makes me swoon? 
Every single patterned paper in this collection makes me happy. I will buy them all!  I love the soft florals combined with vintage tones. And those prize banners? YES!

What element of this collection has me unsure?
The photo overlays. Crate releases this with most of their collections and I'll be honest... I just don't get it. If I am going to alter my photo, I am typically going to do it in-camera. However, it occurred to me recently that these are essentially small transparencies. I love a good transparency. So, I think I may give these a try.
Oh, and this die set with the little make-your-own ribbon action?
Completely FABULOUS! In fact, the other day I tried my hand at free-cutting a little bow. It worked. I had a bow. But, it was not the same. I NEED this die!

Alrighty... so what collection has me completely sold that I will buy every single piece, no questions asked?

Our Travels by Webster's Pages:

This collection has it all, in my humble opinion...
Soft tones, super fun photo realism, gorgeous and versatile embellishments. I could go on and on. And you know what, I rarely travel. But, I find the prints versatile enough to use in my everyday scrapping. And the globes? Too adorable NOT to get. I will find a use for them. Or, they might come in handy during Homeschool :)

Now, what will be cherry-picked? Let's have a look:
Studio Calico Essentials. The hearts. I NEED the hearts! (Except the brown. Brown and I don't usually mix well.)
These lovely soft floral Thickers from Pebbles. Photo courtesy of Scrappy Jedi. I like that the floral is neutral enough that these could work with many different schemes and prints.
These gorgeous rub-ons from the Studio Calico Lemon Lush Collection:
I like several of the papers in this collection as well and will most likely get a few, but these rub-ons are so very pretty, yes? They are a MUST.

Now, I really could go on and on with little bits that I will pick up here and there, but those are the "I gotta buy them as soon as I see them in the store, or I might implode" products :)

And, I have been doing so much stash-busting lately that I am ready to BUY!





Well, I do have baby on the brain a lot as I am officially at the 8 month mark with baby number 4. And, the side effect of that is lots of scrapping and napping as I anticipate a different sort of schedule coming my way very soon.

  • I have been shooting lots of video and am pondering a new series on trends.
  • I am still contemplating a series on personal style but really haven't had a clear vision of the direction or approach to take on that yet. Any ideas?
  • Oh yeah - and die cuts. Lots of fun new dies are going to be hitting my desk soon and I have lots of ideas that will keep the Sizzix busy for a while.




I have lots of fun new tutorials and videos as well as some new items soon to come in the Etsy Shop


Oh, and as soon as I get my hands on those lovely goodies mentioned above, I will be sharing how I put them to use!
See you soon!

4 comments:

  1. congrats - lots of scrapping and napping sounds good!

    my little guy isn't due until may, so I'm right at that point of not as tired as I was in my first trimester, but not feeling huge and uncomfortable yet like i'm sure I will in my third trimester... i know, when i put it that way, it sounds so exciting, doesn't it? lol...

    at any rate, can't wait to see what you're up to next month! happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Only a month to go! I like your picks for faves and can't wait to see what you do with them. I really like that die set from Dear Lizzy. I have been really into layering dies lately to make the dimensional and those would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your picks, especially the Maggie Holmes. It is so my style. I have loved all her collections, and that Dear Lizzy is gorgeous. I am also loving some of the new Amy Tan. Her style is different than mine but whenever I use her items I just end up loving them. Weird how that happens.

    OOOO I would LOVE to see a series on trend. GREAT topic!! And I LOVE the idea of doing a series on personal style.

    8 months pregnant, how exciting!! Glad you are resting and scrapping =)

    Blessings sweet girl ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great new product pics for the upcoming purchase bonanza! lol I think I am going to jump on the bandwagon for Maggie's new line....gorgeous!!!! Have you seen the new line by Melissa Frances that was based from Jenny and Aarons' art? It's a brand new line with cupcakes! All graphics were hand drawn...I think this is a trend we will see more of in the future! :) Amy Tan's new Plus One....I have had on my list from Day 1 :) I also am going to purchase the new Ranger Pen Spritzer...works with all pens...gotta love a new tool! Dies are a favorite...but Mr. Handsome/Santa bought me a Cameo to replace my 4 year old Silhouette.....he's in the loop of trends too! hahahaha!!! Personal style segments would be a favorite to see....I know your design work anywhere! We have 3 winter storms heading to Oklahoma starting Sunday...so the crafting room will be covered with lots of paper, glue, paint, glitter, and I might squeeze a shower in! lol :) Have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...