Monday, January 27, 2014

Cowboy Finest...

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog. This week, we are all about Cowboys. 

Will you use Tim Holtz western stamps? Do something cowboy inspired? Maybe do something with a setting sun, or about saying goodbye? Maybe you’ll be inspired by old western movies, the desert, cactus, or just colors that remind you of the wild west. Or, perhaps you will take inspiration from a favorite country song?

For this challenge, I headed straight for the old family albums as I knew there were a couple of black and white picts of my dad in cowboy apparel as a young boy. As luck would have it, I found this great picture of him and his brother. After asking Dad for more information and the background behind this fun photo, I just knew I had to scrap it...

Here you can see some Maggie Holmes goodness, along with said photo...
I know I want to do some mixed media in the background, but first... I am just playing with the composition of things here:
And here...
I like that title that I cut using my Tim Holtz Die, but can't seem to get satisfied with the page layout. There is something a bit too controlled and predictable about this:
Still futzing...
OK! I felt like all those bits were distracting me, so I set them all aside and just plunged into some mixed media fun with white paint, the title, and some stars.
Once that dried, I got back to the futzing...
...and it really came together quickly! Turns out I just needed a fresh perspective. One thing that really helped was eliminating several of those tags and cutting down the pieces of patterned paper into smaller strips. Sometimes less is more, ya know?

Here I have all my little bits where I want them and am just brushing around some gelatos for added texture and interest...
A few stars stamped around, some washi, and some wood veneers... And then, I simply added my journaling!
The words are quoted directly from the text message my father sent to me regarding this photo. It describes how he attended the local town fair with his family and that it was a huge treat for them to dress up in their "Cowboy Finest..."
There was a professional photographer there, but my Grandmother and Grandfather could not afford the price he charged. The man was quite nice and allowed my Grandmother to borrow his backdrop while she photographed my father and his brother using her dime store Brownie Camera. She thanked him later that week by baking him an apple pie.

Now if that isn't a scrap-worthy story, I don't know what is!

Alrighty! Now, its your turn... go get crafty and link-up with us!

Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.

How awesome is that?


Here is my supply list :)

21 comments:

  1. Great layout! I love he picture and the really cool story too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo and page. Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that photo and what great inspiration for your layout! The papers and layout are perfect! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a precious photo and a great story too! Your layout is fabulous as always, wonderful design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This layout is so beautiful, Ashli. I love the combination of the beautiful patterned paper. The photo is fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful layout and a great piece. So many interesting textures and layers and a wonderful story too... Really looking forward to working with you on the team!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun page!
    I always love seeing your process :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic story!!! This page is great Ashli. LOVE IT!!

    Blessings to you sweet one ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous layout, Ashli! Love the picture of your dad and his brother! So cute! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! What a fun family photo and totally perfect for this challenge! I love the layout too :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the story! Great page as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness - I'd have to think long and hard about this one. And that is coming from someone who lived in Nashville for 5 years! You'd think I'd have something......but...... ? Love that you had an older photo that fit. This vintage photo is awesome and I love how your layers came together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome page for your heritage photo, Ashli! Love the mix of Yellow and Teal!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great layout, Ashli! Beautifully done!
    That is one awesome photo too.
    I love reading about you your process. Do you know what inspired me about this one? The part where you removed and reworked. Everyone does it. It's an important part of the process, but not too many share that part. I loved that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So fun Ashli! Great photo! Love the tags and all the journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore this layout for so many reasons! First off, that picture of your dad is too precious for words! What a treasure that you were able to find it and highlight it for future generations! Next, as always, I am so inspired by and appreciative of how you show us your creative process. I loved all the "still futzing" notes! It just makes me happy to see that I'm not the only one who has to move things around and fiddley-dink around until I get a look I like. I just want to cheer for you when I see the amazing finished product! Lastly, I love how historical this is and how you talked to your dad to be able to journal his experience. At the end of the day, family is what matters most and I am elated when I see people using their talents to preserve the stories of those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! Love the idea to paint the title. I used to make so many cowboy pages after the rodeo every year, but I somehow skipped it last year even though we went a bunch of times...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ashli ​​your pictures are always beautiful and you know how to make them better! You make amazing layouts! This is gorgeous as always! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww I love that story and now it's documented. That's exactly why we do what we do. Love the page as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome story and page, Ashli! This photo couldn't be more perfect for the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...