Monday, January 20, 2014

A Page Out of My Book...

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge for you up on the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge blog.This week, we are all about the letter "A." Will you use product from American Crafts? Create a whole album? An Assemblage? Use Adhesives in a special way? Whatever your take – this week we are all about the letter A!

When I think of the letter A, I think "A is for apple." And that, of course, has me thinking of teachers. 

So....

Since we homeschool, I took this opportunity to create a little spread in my Art Journal Calendar that I can use to record our mid-year review...

First up, a stencil and some scraps:
 After spritzing on some Color Shine, let's put this stencil to use by way of blending tool...
 Pretty!
 Now for some frames that have been cut from Dear Lizzy patterned paper...
There! Those have been applied with Matte Medium and here you can see some little interactive flaps. They are hinged simply with washi that has been coated in more Matte Medium for extra strength.
 I went ahead and did the same on the inside. But, I am impatient and the outside hadn't dried yet... so, a simple little prop-up with some Distress Pads will let both sides of these flaps dry nicely. Ahhhh - the many uses of Distress...
Viola! With that all dry, I went ahead and traced around each flap and painted the inside white. This will provide a nice clean surface in which to place my notes. You know, the practical element of this project :)
 A little watercolor play...
And title time! The flap on the left is for us to jot down what we liked and didn't like about how our school year has gone so far. Hence... "reflect." And the right side is for jotting down what we will change going forward... "renew!"

As you can see, the letters are getting a nice thick coat of Matte Medium as well. We can't have any letters coming loose, now can we?
 Collaging on some stickers...
 Stamping and thread...

 Some mist and doodles...
 And there we have it!
Now, if I could just get motivated to write in it... HA!

Alrighty! Now, its your turn... go get crafty and link-up with us!

Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com.



How awesome is that?

Here is my supply list :)


16 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always!
    You were an inspiration for my project this week so I included a direct link in my post. Hope that's okay.
    Have a great week.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous art journal pages! Love the fold outs and the words of reflect and renew perfect for the new year! Homeschool.. sounds like you are very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style, Ashli! This is so pretty. :)

    My Mom homeschooled my Sister and I, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the REFLECT and RENEW wording, perfect for your pages. Wow you homeschool, you must be one busy lady. I love all the fold our pieces and all the layers. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. Ashli, these pages are awesome! I love all the beautiful layering and textures. The color scheme you created is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous art journaling, Ashli! I love the step by step! Such pretty pastels!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome journal pages, Ashli!! And great way to use the "A" inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! I loved seeing it come together. I usually see this style of page and have no clue how to create a similar project. Now...I do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic... I love the interactivity of the pages, as well as your usual spontaneous, fresh, beautiful colours and textures.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. There won't be many other teachers out there with calendars as gorgeous as this! Love the way you just let the design flow Ashli. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous art journal pages Ashli! Love the beautiful color palette and artistic flair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashli ​​I love the way you use the colors! You have the capability to blend colors together and make them transparent but bright! beautiful work as always! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really cool art pages! Love the soft color pallette and the interactiveness. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is gorgeous Ashli! It has such a fun and playful feeling to it and great textures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. Love the colors, the layers and all the pretty things you added. This style is not in my comfort zone, but I love and admire it and am soaking up each and every step of your process. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cow! You are such a genius with layering! I'm not kidding when I say that I always walk away from your blog completely inspired! This piece is nothing short of gorgeous and I really liked how you incorporated the patterned paper frames. Brilliant, brilliant, as usual!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...