Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fitting It All In - Putting that Time to Good Use...

Hello there and happy Friday! Welcome back to the Fitting It All In series here at PurpleMailbox. If you missed the previous posts, you can check them out here:
So, I think that has you all wondering... how do we put all of this into practice and actually make something?

Now that we have identified where we might be able to carve out a few moments here and there throughout our busy days, how exactly do we turn those snippets of time into some real creating... with an actual finished product?

For this post to make the most sense, please be sure you have read the previous posts in this series (linked up above).

All caught up? Great! Let's take a look...

Here is how we will do this... see my phone below? I am going to set the stopwatch every time I hit the studio to work on my next page. I promise, I am not looking at the clock and I am certainly not trying to beat it. This is an actual, true life account, of how I often create...
Here we go!

STEP 1

3 pm, Monday, November 11
  • Children are having "quiet rest time." (what is that? it is a mandatory 1 1/2 hours that they are required to sit quietly in their room and look at books. This has never been negotiable in our house. Believe me... some days, I LIVE for this time :)

WHAT DID I GET DONE?

  • Chose my photos and possible papers. (I keep most of my photos printed and in a box so that I am not spending time printing a picture in order to scrap it.)
Speaking of photos... my dear bloggy friend, Nirupama, has some amazing ideas and examples on how exactly to capture all of those moments when life is speeding by... and.... she has graciously agreed to share them here, next week!

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

  • 4 minutes and 12 seconds
After this, I set about "scrapping in my head." This is how I get the majority of my layouts done. What exactly do I mean? Well, after choosing my photos and papers, I have several ideas whirling around in my head of possible compositions and techniques that might work with my elements and my story. I generally try to have these worked out in my head before I get back to my studio. That way, when I am back to tangible creative time, it is super productive. And, between each step, I continue on "scrapping in my head."

STEP 2

3:40 pm, Monday, November 11
  • Children are doing their afternoon tidy-up

WHAT DID I GET DONE?

  • Noodled around some possible designs with my patterned paper selections
  • Pulled embellishments

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

  • 4 minutes and 56 seconds


STEP 3

6:10 pm, Monday, November 11
  • Daddy giving kids a bath

WHAT DID I GET DONE?

  • Photos cut out
  • Frames cut from patterned paper
  • Basic composition laid out to ponder... other than the background paper, nothing is glued down yet

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

  • 16 minutes and 48 seconds

STEP 4

4:16 pm, Tuesday, November 12
  • Children playing in the backyard

WHAT DID I GET DONE?

  • Background paint stenciled on and left to dry

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

  • 2 minutes and 23 seconds
  
STEP 5

10:00 am, Wednesday, November 13
  • Children making beds and completing chores (my chores are done... perhaps one day the kids will realize that if they focus and get their job done quickly, then they will have time to play like mommy does :)

WHAT DID I GET DONE?

  • Background finished with mist and doodles
  • Layers added behind photos
  • Photos and twine glued down
  • Paint added to camera embellishment

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

  • 16 minutes and 12 seconds
  
STEP 6

3:00 pm, Wednesday, November 13
  • Children having "quiet rest time"

WHAT DID I GET DONE?

  • Twine stapled down
  • Journaling added
  • Mist drops applied
  • Brads added
  • Pop dots placed around under certain elements
  • Final page photographed

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

  • 18 minutes and 33 seconds
And there we have a layout completed in 6 separate increments of time. 
For a grand total of....

  • 63 minutes and 4 seconds

Now, how likely is it that I could have carved out just over an hour of time during those busy days? Not likely. Sure, there are other days where that is possible. But, not on these particular days. And what you saw above is exactly how I manage to fit scrapbooking in, even when my life is busy!
 How awesome is that?
You see, once I have identified those "free moments" and have a good understanding of my priorities, I am free to choose which priority gets attention during those snippets of time. On these days, I mostly chose scrapbooking... and a bit of gardening too :)
Now, go grab a few minutes of your "free time" and get creative!

Please join us next week as Nirupama shares some of her tips on fitting photography into your busy life, as we continue in this series.

And remember... feel free to leave your tips and/or questions as we go along. I would love to hear how you fit in your creative time and any specific conundrums you might have along the lines of this topic! At the end of this series I will compile a "reader tip list" along with a Q&A. So, don't hesitate to chip in!

See you soon!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, so cool to see the breakdown. That page is fabulous too!! So excited to be sharing on your blog next week :) Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its true as a momma you gotta use the pockets of time you have - no matter how small!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had children, you would be my role model! Non-negotiable "Quiet rest time" for reading - I love this! Must pass along to my stepdaughter. Anyway, great page and process. My challenge isn't time, it is using time wisely particularly with the time change so I'm working on doing more chores in the evening and getting to my studio earlier when the light is right for working and filming process videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I've been trying to use the most of my small increments of time, too, though sometimes I struggle with starting up where I left off. Sometimes when I can't think of that initial idea of how to start a page, I'll use a sketch if I don't have the time to play around. It helps to have a general idea of where to lay things out, and then I usually change it up once the foundations are laid out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe. I just don't work this way! I tend to pull my items and play with them to see what matches, then I might clean, watch tv, read, it's like my brain needs a running start! I often wonder if I have ADD because it feels like the brain is fuzzy till suddenly it isn't and the page is finished. I love this post- wo defi lly written and the timer photos are excellent. The finished piece is amazing,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how you break your page down, to scrap in your free moments, Ashli!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! great idea to track your actual time! and you do an amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post, it's exactly the same way I fit my scrapbooking in too! In fact it's vey rare for me to make a page in one sitting! Your layout is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in having to make a layout over few days!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...