Monday, November 4, 2013

A Patchwork of Dreams

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge up over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog. This week we challenge you to somehow be inspired by some patchwork. Where to start? You could patch together a project with scraps, create a quilt-block type project, work with squares of the new Tim Holtz fabric, perhaps be inspired to get into some mosaic work too!

Isn't this a fun challenge? I love the look of quilts, but seamstress I am indeed not! Now, hand me lots of paper and some scissors... that IS something I can work with!

To get started, I have an oversized photo... 9x12 to be exact, along with lots of 6x6 paper goodness:
I started by flipping through all of those lovely papers and pulling out the sheets that most compliment my photo...
 And then I just free-hand cut them into lots of odd shaped squares and rectangles:
 Then, I set about layering them up around my photo...
 And more layering....
 Now, time to embellish! I have pulled lots of little bits from my stash that I think might work...
 And just play with placing them all around...
Once I had all of that set, I felt like some more emphasis was needed on the subject in my photo. My white Signo Pen was just the thing for the job! A few doodles and a heart later...
Ta Da! Love how that worked out. I must admit, it was a tad bit risky, drawing on my photo and all, after the whole thing was pretty much done... but, hey... I live on the edge like that :)
 And there we have it!
 A layout full of patchwork goodness...
And stamping fun! 

Reminding my oldest daughter to always follow her heart...
And now it's your turn! Go get crafty and link-up with us!
Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com. How awesome is that?
Here is a complete supply list for my layout:

22 comments:

  1. Love how that all came together. Especially love the title with the hearts and little flowers in the middle, tying the layout together
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty with all of the blocks of paper, Ashli! You work with large photos so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashli...I really like this layout that you've done with the 9x12 photograph. Nice "patchwork" of papers on the right side of your layout. That asymmetrical look is very cool. I really love the added touch of the sketched white heart you've added right on the photograph. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how that came together and I love the size of that photo and all the sweet things layered on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a fun layout! Fab patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. as always, love seeing your process Ashli! On this page I most especially love the scratchy heart. That is just the perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the papers you used on this layout, Ashli. The layout is so sweet and beautiful with these embellishments. Your creation is always so lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your patchwork design! :)
    Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love to see where your process ends up:):) Love the LO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ashli, lovely layout, I particularly love the heart around the image and the small arrows pointing to the heart . Love,the patchwork of papers. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty layout, Ashli! Love the heart in the middle! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun layout, Ashli! I've been lovin what you've been doing with the oversized photos. So cool! And always so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome take on the patchwork challenge, Ashli! And I love that you used the large photo on your layout!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I love those papers and think the hand drawn heart worked out really well too. You do so many cool things with big photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great layout and patchwork! That doodled heart is the perfect accent to bring it all together, love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! Would be a great way to use up some scraps but also great for the 6x6 too. I really like that oversize photo and how this layout came together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun layout!!! Love this! you're always very original! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  18. The photo you used is absolutely gorgeous Ashli and all those squares look so great. Love the heart on the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous layout, Ashli! I love your stash of papers and how you made a heart to frame the picture of your daughter :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so good at mixing in the patchwork effect in your beautiful layouts! Love the heart drawn around the image! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you live on the edge Ashli :) We are so glad you took that risk. That heart creates such a perfect focal point. A wonderful LO!! The patchwork papers on the edge really add such a special touch. I love how you used them to inspire all the great embellishments on the page. Thanks for the inspiration. -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a little delayed in my comments, but I had to say AMAZING when I saw this! You are truly the Queen of layouts and I love how you made the traditional concept of quilts so...hip and now! (I never really say "hip and now" in real life, but hopefully you know what I mean)! It is a stunning piece and you always inspire with the way you combine different elements so creatively.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...