Monday, October 14, 2013

Let's Get Nautical!

Hi there!

We have a new challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! Take a look:

If nautical nonsense be something you wish – well then you’ve come to the right place! This week we’re all about creativity on the high seas! From mermaids to sea critters, rich ocean blues to sandy glitters and embossing powders – let’s sea what you can come up with! Whether you are inspired by the glamour of the cruise liners of the olden days or are thinking about ye olde pirates, going to scrapbook that trip to the islands or want to break out that stamp with bubbles on it – join us aboard the ship known as the Monday Challenge Blog!

When I think of nautical... I think of the beach. And when I think of the beach... I think of my favorite place. I have many a layout documenting this place, but have yet to do a mini book about it....

So, it's time to make one, don't you think?

To get started, I simply backed my 4x4 and 6x6 photos along with some 6x6 papers and then stitched them along the edge. I then did a quick look-see in my stickers, die cuts, and stamps and pulled out some elements to use as I embellish.

Doing this prep is key in making this a simple and easy project that won't take up my whole afternoon...
First up, I get to work with those embellishments and start placing things. I am careful to look at how things will be viewed as the pages turn...
Once all the stickers and paper bits are adhered, I come back in with a little mixed media and stamping action...
With all of that dry and my title stamped on the cover, we need to make a template for the holes. With a piece of vellum and my handy Tim Holtz ruler, I make marks as to where I want my binding rings to be:
 Using my crop-a-dile, I line up my template along each page and punch out my holes:
 Ta Da!
Then, of course, you know the drill...
With the usual pen work and journaling....
I have pages full of mixed media fun:

Little doodles:
And cute little stamps:
Not to mention some really fun embellishments:
My favorite, indeed!
 I tried to keep the photos as my focus throughout the book...
 As that really showcases the beauty of this magical spot...
 Lots of smiles:
 And memories:
 Of my little ladies...
 In our favorite place:
 A sweet little mini photo book that now sits out for anyone's perusal! 



OK - now it's your turn... go get crafty and link-up with us!


Remember... Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com. How awesome is that?



Here is a complete supply list for my layout:



21 comments:

  1. I love this Ashli - a great little reminder of your holiday. I have been making mini books too recently with pictures of my new baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashli, love your pen work and journaling on this piece but I particularly love the added stitching too, it adds a wonderful detail. This is a lovely way to keep those precious photos and a wonderful way to look back on some wonderful memories. Love the colours and all the layers you added too. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun mini and all the great details you include!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashli...your little book is such a wonderful keepsake of a treasured holiday. Love your cover and how you've used the photo as part of the art magic you created. The interior pages, equally as beautifully done. I love all of the journaling and pen work you've done among the sweet pictures of your children. What a great little book! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. great techniques~love the out come. Looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful photos and album Ashli! I wish I could visit that place too. Love that you mixed two different sizes and all the embellishments are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetness and light! This is beautiful, bet your girls love to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous book! I recall seeing a few photos of this place on your instagram feed and thinking that it was such a lovely place. You turned those photos into a GORGEOUS album, Ashli! I like that you added the hand-drawn elements as well as the commercial stamps and such. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome album Ashli!! Love how you used some of the large photos for pages in the album!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a sweet mini album Ashli full of so many darling photos and creative detail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome, Ashli! Love how you incorporated larger photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashli what a fantastic memory filled piece of art! The photos are phenomenal and your highlight of the photos make them even more lovely. Beautiful mini book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really pretty little mini album, Ashli! Love your style of design! So fun and fresh! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. This mini is so incredible! FAntastic work!!! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fantastic book! Ashli. I love the beautiful papers you used all the cute photos. There are so many fabulous details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous book! I love the full page photos. This is an amazing album. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am giving this one a capital LOVE! You are always amazing in how much you are able to create...not only quantity, but serious quality here! I really am awed by all you manage to do on these projects! The detail is incredible and I am on inspiration overload when I look at all of your pages! I also really like how you used a "non-traditional" picture for the cover. Most people would've highlighted a picture of the waves or something, but you brought the spotlight to that stunning pile of driftwood and tree roots. You find beauty everywhere and that is an awesome character trait!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous mini! And, I love that you did it all in one afternoon. Sitting down and finishing something is probably the way to go. I am totally doing this for our next vacation (if we ever take one, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous assembly of pages! I just love the thought you put into each page!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...