Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Files of Memories

What do you do when you have a TON of papers or ephemera and you really don't want to throw any of it away, but you also don't want to make dozens of layouts to house it?

Use a memory file, of course! I LOVE memory files. I have never actually used them as stand alone projects... although that might change soon (hint, hint).

But typically, I use them to house lots of papers or special journaling on a layout...

A favorite method is to save my kiddo's drawings until I have a decent sized stack of my favorites, stitch them all into a file, and make a layout. In fact, the other day... I did just that! But, let's not get ahead of ourselves...

How about a look back into the archives at some previous layouts I scrapped using these fabulous files?

First up, I did an album all about my parent's home renovation and used a memory file to house all of my mother's inspiration clippings and notes as she prepared for the project (more info here)...

Next up, a partial piece of a file became the perfect place to house some lengthy and personal journaling (more info here)...
And here we have the first time I did a layout containing a file full of my oldest daughter's drawings (more info here)...
And, of course, a memory file is perfect for holding an overload of photos... as in... lunch with the princess photos (more info here)...
See? So much fun and SO MANY possibilities!

Alrighty! So, let's take a look at how one easily one of these layouts comes together...

To get started, I have gathered my stack of drawings, a picture of the adorable little artist, and my memory file that I have misted to compliment my photo and background paper...
 Here you can see the stack of fabulous drawings by my 5 year old:
But before we work with that stack of papers, it's time to layer up the front. I am trying to keep in mind that the file itself already adds a certain amount of bulk to the layout, so I won't be adding big rosettes or flair badges to the front of the folder itself...
 Alright! With the front all layered up...
It's time to head inside! I usually run the top of the file and papers through the sewing machine to secure everything. However, my needle is broken on my machine and I am too lazy to change it and rethread... so - it's staples this time! My tiny attacher went through the packet without any trouble. Now, I am just going to layer up some paper strips:
 Likey so!
 A little embellishment cluster on the other side... I am saving most of that space for my journaling:
 A bit of punching and brad action:
 And it's title time!
And with the usual finishing touches...

There you have it!
 A file full of journaling and gorgeous drawings...
 Fun to flip through...
 And remember...
 Always...
 I just love it!
I love how easy these beautiful files make it to scrap up a pile of papers!

Wondering how this functions within a page protector? I just cut out a big rectangle around the file and the whole thing is exposed. I suppose if you are more fastidious that I, you could cut a slit and more carefully expose your items. But, as I mentioned above, I can be lazy about such details, so a giant rectangle-sized hole it is for me!

:)

Thanks for joining me today.

See you soon!

6 comments:

  1. These layouts are fantastic! Such an awesome idea to hold extra ephemera and photos! I've never used a memory file, but you have me wishing for some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cool idea! I should do that with some of Evan's drawings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea, Ashli!! Love how you used the Memory File!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, this is really an awesome idea! I have to try it,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Love the memory file!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...