Monday, October 21, 2013

Chalking It Up to the First Trimester

Happy Monday! We have a new challenge up over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog. This week, we are all about the "spooky season." However, instead of stitching up a monstrous creation or making a sweet little trick or treat sign, I decided to find my inspiration in the form of a dark new trend...

Chalkboard!

That's right! I have purchased my fair share of this new trendy item. But, I must confess that I am having trouble using it. Perhaps it's the heavy weight of the dark color? I'm not sure exactly. So... this week it is time to face my fears and embrace all that chalky goodness in my stash...

To get started, I have a fun little sonogram that I posted on Instagram, along with some yellow and blue scraps and plenty of chalkboard stickers... 
 First, my photo needs a good landing spot, so I just layer up all those lovely scraps...
 Once I have that the way I like it, it's time to just go for it with all of those chalky stickers...
 There they are! All lined up...
 I journaled plenty of notes from my first trimester using my white Signo...
Added lots of brads and twine bits...
And there we have it!
 Notes from the first trimester...
 I sure am glad I faced my fear of this darker supply and I am really glad to have all of these notes jotted down!

So - how will you be inspired by this week's challenge?

Go get crafty and link-up with us!


Remember... Every week a random winner is chosen to win a $50 spending spree from SimonSaysStamp.com. How awesome is that?



Here is a complete supply list for my layout:





21 comments:

  1. So loving this and happy to hear that things are going well with baby, even if you did get extra tests. I still have so much I want to document about my baby and I am six months already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful layout! Love the chalk! Congrats with the pregnancy! Hope that everything is going well :). Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful page, Ashli! The chalkboard goes so well with the beautiful blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo love the pop of the blue and gold - congrats on your pg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats:):) happy for you (PG) didn't know, Love the LO~it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's good news Ashli! Congrats on your pregnancy! Love the layout, with all the journaling and I think you did a great job with the chalkboard pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you can say you successfully conquered your fears! This page is gorgeous and full of so much fun! Love it!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Ashli! I love looking at my chalkboard paper, but haven't dug in yet either. This is such a great way to do it, just pile them on. Love the journaling in the white pen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome use of the chalkboard trend, Ashli! These stickers look great with the ultra sound photo and are perfect for your journaling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Ashli! What a fantastic layout! I admire all the layers and your attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... congratulations on your pregnancy, Ashli. So happy for you! I always love your layouts because they always are full of happiness. The chalkboard papers are fantastic on this page. Great design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your use of chalkboard items Ashli , must feel great now you conquered using these products . Great design and I love all the layers and journalling . Huge congratulations too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ashli... you can layer it up like no other! :) These little chalkboard die cuts that you've used on this piece look amazing! What a wonderful way to journal and incorporate into such an "artful" way into your layout. HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your new little one on the way! How exciting for you and your family. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your take on this challenge. I also love how you've embraced the chalkboard craze and made it your own. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats Ashli!!!!! Your Lo is beautiful and your tutorial wonderful! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a difficult time with the chalkboard trend. I love what you've done here. That white signo really pops. Great layout, Ashli!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ashli! Can I just say THANK YOU for admitting to having a bit of chalkboard phobia?? I thought I was the only one! I'm glad that even creative geniuses like yourself struggle with some of the trends. And seeing how fabulous your project turned out makes me think there might still be hope for non-chalkboard-embracers like myself. I love all the layers on this and I think it was brilliant to not glue everything down too tight. It looks really textural and amazing--as if you've been a chalkboard pro for years!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Love how you used the chalkboard and pairing it with the sonogram was such a fantastic idea! Gorgeous layout. (I too struggle a little with the chalkboard mania!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well Ashli, looks to me like you've nailed the chalkboard look with this fabulous layout.. Congratulations on your pregnancy, x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...