Monday, June 10, 2013

Cupcakes and Pictures...

It's Monday and that means there is a new challenge up at Simon Says Stamp and Show! We are all about buttons this week, but you will have to wait until Wednesday to see what I worked up for this week's challenge. However, in the mean time, please do check out the challenge specifics and all of the other DT's creations!

So, since I have a little something up my sleeve regarding buttons, what will we be looking at today?

How about the conundrum of multiple photos and the desire for lots of creative play?

I do love to play on my layouts, but I also want to tell the story and let's face it... some stories have more than 1 photo to go with them. Oh my! What's a crafty girl to do?

Here I have my background paper and my 4 photos from my little one's 1st Birthday. You know the ones... where they are trying cake for the first time. They are all kinda the same, but each one captures a different expression and I am not willing to edit that down.
They are also all 4x6. I could print them smaller, but I prefer a larger image. I could also crop them a bit, but they wouldn't all crop down to the same size and I really don't want a hodge podge of dimensions to work with. An interactive page element such as a photo stack would work, but I really want all of these on show. Hmmmmm....

With all four of the 4x6 photos at the bottom, I am left with a 4x12 area to play with. That's not a lot.
However, if I decide to work within a loose grid design, and I overlap some of the photos slightly, I might just have more room for creative play:
But, the room is still limited, so I am thinking some background work would be a good step in the right direction:
 A bit of stenciling and spritzing and I am excited as to how this is looking!
Another idea for maximizing my creative play space is to make my own embellishments. Or, in this case, spruce up this fabulous ScrapFX chippie set that Michelle was kind enough to send my way:
 My first step is to lighten them up with a simple coat of white paint:
 I love that tone on tone look, but they could be a little more exciting...
 Stickles?
 Glitter?
Ah yes! I think that will work out, but we must let them dry first.
Back to the page!
Working within that grid design, I would like to add some washi...
But what color? I like the pink, but I think I want the majority of the pink to stay in the photos, bringing more focus to my little cutie. I like the blue, but it's not quite the right shade to enhance the photos. Yellow it is!
That's placed down, along with the cupcake stand and title. Oh yeah...
and one of the Heidi Swapp handmade embellishments too.
And now those cupcakes are dry. Aren't they just the cutest! I stuck some on the chipboard stand and grouped some around the banner embellishment:
And there we have it!
The washi, title, and twine reinforces the grid design, while the paint and mist in the background maintains some playful whimsy.
 I'd say that worked out pretty well!
Thanks to a painterly background, loose grid design, and custom embellishments... I was able to use lots of photos AND enjoy lots of creative play...
Now that is my kinda scrappin'!

Don't forget to check back in on Wednesday for more info on those buttons :)

15 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS! I love how you did the background and frosted those cupcake chipboard pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bit of pink was exactly what those cupcakes needed, Ashli. Love this pretty page with the masked background and pretty cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so cute! Love the touch of glitter and that cupcake stand! Perfect for this page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using 4 or more photos on one page is always hard to come up with a design! I love what you did though. The background is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo what a sweet page (couldn't be helped). What a pretty page and love the 4 photos. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO fun to see the adventures of your adorable munchkins through scrapbook pages, Ashli! I love the glittered cupcake embellishments in this page!


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb my friend!!! Simply superb!! I LOVE the cupcake tree. So creative and fun. Suddenly I have a hankering for cupcakes =)

    Blessings ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your cupcake tree... fabulous layout!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another gorgeous layout! I love the cupcake tree embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the explanations about the process ! Very beautiful layouts, love all the photos AND the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to see the process involved in creating your layout. Love the stencilling and the cupcake tree is adorable . Looking forward to Wednesday . Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable Ashli, and I love the use of the doily shape in the background!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you decorated each individual cupcake!
    Adorable page :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this page is delightful!!! Love how you dolled up the ScrapFX cupcakes and stand! They look fantabulous with that bit of pink glitter and your background is rockin' too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pink sparkly cupcakes on the tree! Perfect for the photos and layout! Love the description of how you put together the layout.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...