Thursday, March 21, 2013

From Book to Page...

We love our books around here! Especially gorgeously illustrated children's books. And, you know how they come with lovely "jackets" that never seem to stay on? Well, at least in my house they don't. So, after the umpteenth time of putting this book jacket back on, I decided it might need to serve a different purpose...
In my studio! 
How about we cut out all of those lovely butterflies and try to make some fun embellishments?
To give them a sturdy base and to give me a good canvas to work with, I just decoupage them onto a sheet of watercolor paper:
And then smooshie on some gesso:
Time to play with some misting!
And dabbing:
And scraping:
And stenciling:
Once I had them where I wanted them, I just fussy cut them all out again:
Now, time to scrap! I have some Dear Lizzy, Amy Tan, and American Crafts Soho Garden papers all set as I am still working from my recently put together "kits." And, some fun photos from a recent trip to the botanical gardens should be right at home with my butterflies:
Layering up said butterflies with the floral accents:
And, you know what? Those butterflies make such a statement, I really don't need to add much more than a few mist splatters....
Some doodling and journaling...
And there we have it! From book jacket to scrapbook page:
That was fun!
Now, I wonder what else I have hiding in my library...

12 comments:

  1. How fun!! My fav children's book is "A Bad Case of the Stripes". I need to see about some fussy cutting of my own. I love how you are always thinking outside the box. It makes for some gorgeous LO's.

    Blessings ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful way to repurpose a book jacket, Ashli!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun. What a great idea. Mine sadly are not that fun or colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those covers drive me nuts too. Great use of this one!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to incorporate those gorgeous illustrations into a piece of family art and history!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous technique Ashli!! And the butterflies are so pretty with the flowers you added to your page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of book jackets and beautiful layout. Have a wonderful weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Makes me dream of spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I collect books, and dust jackets are a valuable part of that, so when you said you were going to cut one up, I cringed...until I saw the page you created with it--STUNNING!!! Maybe I need to check out my library...??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg this is gorgeous! totally stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great repurposing, you really made them your own!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...