Tuesday, January 8, 2013

An Embossing Adventure Begins...

The new year has me thinking of organizational things. Don't get too excited. My brain is translating this more as, "what do I have that is taking up space and not getting used?"

My embossing folders!
I don't have that many. Really only about 10 or so. But, I am not so much a card maker and I just never think about using these in my scrapping.

Time to change that!
First, I grabbed some scraps from the bin and just played around, trying embossing over different patterns. Deciding what I liked and what I didn't...
Trying different papers:
 And inks:
And.... I really like that vellum and ink thing, so let's do some scrapping!
After smooshing various pinks and reds onto my embossing folder and running it through my Sizzix, I have this:
 Perhaps a little mosaic grid of sorts would be nice?
After cutting up all three colors into little squares, I just start placing them to the side of my photo. 
(Tip: I cut through each layer at the same time and kept the image in it's proper order. This made it easy to piece back together on my layout. Plus, I have never really been one for puzzles)
Oooooh - that is fun! And, yes - there is that We R Memories paper in the background. I told ya - it's my new neutral!
 Now for some of that vellum action. I put a coat of glossy accents on this before embossing:
 Layering up more hearts:
A bit of washi, some stickers, twine, and pen work and...
TA DA!
I am quite thrilled with myself for actually using this embossing folder (that I had only ever used 1 time before)! 
So here I go, off on an adventure to make use of this forgotten supply in my scrap room. The tree folder is a keeper, for sure. I wonder if the rest of those folders will make the cut?

Stay tuned...

31 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! Totally love it!!
    FAB layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Love the look at it on this page...the added hearts make it look custom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! My mom gave me a couple of those and I threw them in a drawer. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also meant to say I love your new photo. (hit return too soon)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always forget to pull out my embossing folder. Good inspiration and love how you cut them up and created little inchies. Beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool idea! I just got my machine and folders. Love it! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea Ashli! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are so clever!! Love it! PS...also love that new profile pic....love seeing your whole face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea of the embossing the image seveal times and cutting it up. So cool :-) Another fantastic layout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking you should definitely do it more often!! What an awesome technique cutting the embossed image into squares, and putting it back together on the page!! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so cool, Ashli! I'm thinking you should put the others to use soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really creative - I often have an 'oh dear' moment in the middle of your step-by-step and then I get to the end and I'm like 'oh it worked' love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My computer is acting so wonky today.
    So if I end up having a double comment, that is why.

    What I said was that I thought your layout was so sweet!
    And that I really didn't know what embossing folders are.
    I have heard of them but really had no clue.
    And now I think I want some :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is rockin!!! Love, love, love your idea, and I can see one of my crafty resolutions needs to be to use my folders too (I admit, I do not)
    Hey, nice new photo of you on the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your endless inventiveness is just so inspirational... another big WOW for the ideas, and a big OMG for the beautiful end product!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! You are a creative genius.

    ReplyDelete
  18. would have never thought of that~so YOU and so amazing!!!! gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so awesome! Never would have thought to do that but it looks so dang cool. We have been thinking alike as I got my embossing folders out last week and have been playing with them again. New year, new ideas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it I recently dug out one of my favourite embossing folders and some vellum for an extra layer....then thought why don't I use this more often. I love the grid - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I tend to forget about my embossing folders and don't use them often enough. Love what you did with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your mosaic idea, so creative but come on I expect nothing less from you ;D I serious don't know how you come up with all these fabulous ideas (big fan here). Beautiful layout as always. I really like the little hearts on the tree too. Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Augh... now I want all my embossing folders and machine back. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know this is a silly question but what is the Vellum & Ink thing?
    How did you do that? I love this and want to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephanie! Not a silly question at all! The vellum is just a regular sheet of vellum run through my embossing folder in my sizzix. And, the ink thing... I just smooshied my ink pad all over my embossing folder before putting the paper in and running through my machine. There are LOTS of great you tube tutorials about that if you just do a search. Jennifer McQuire http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/ also does a lot of great tutorials. Hope this helps :)

      Delete
  25. Love the way this looks! Almost makes me wish I had some of these....Maybe in faux dubouis?

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, thats stunning, I love what you did with the embossed tree.
    thanks for your kind comment on my blog, whats an sss board? mark x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for your nice comment too! I have a board on Pinterest called "Simon Says Stamp and Show Awesomeness." It's here I pin all of the awesome entries from the challenge blog :) And - yours was awesome! So, I just had to pin it :)

      Delete
    2. ohh wow, thank you, Im honoured. I dont have pintrest but will go and have a look.

      Delete
  27. Oh, my Gosh, Ashli!!! LOVE THIS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...