Hi there! When we last left off, I was Preparing to Journal Our Christmas Heritage.
With my supplies all gathered, and my plan in place...
Let's decorate the cover of the album!I want my decorations and embellishments to be sturdy and strong. I also want to do some stitching. And since that would be a bit tricky through the cover itself, I am going to build all of my decorations onto a sheet of kraft card stock:
Layering up the tape:
Figuring out some embellishment placement:
Now we stitch!
Building it up:
Some red stitching for contrast:
Now, I need a bit more of that kraft to build onto:
Flowers are stapled in place:
Sticking it all down... Glossy Accents played a major role in this... this stuff isn't going anywhere!
Writing out the title:
Working out the placement:
And there we go! Once everything was glued down, I just fussy cut around the entire cluster.
Some brad action:
All in place! I used a very healthy amount of Glossy Accents to get this all adhered. It is STUCK there! And then I dabbed on a bit of Picket Fence Distress Stain in opposite corners to complete the look:
All ready to be journaled:
Remember this? All that gorgeous paper! Well, I figured it would be a bit time consuming to go through this stack with each page I scrapped...
So, I went through the album and pulled out each heritage photo that I had already placed in the page protectors. Then, I asked myself if I thought the photo would look better on a blue, red, green, or neutral background. I then pulled paper as a background for each page protector and corresponding photo. If a complimentary paper grabbed my eye, that went in there too...
This leaves me with a VERY basic foundation and starting point for each page.
After completing that exercise, I really only have about 15 or 20 sheets left from the above mentioned "kit." That is what I will pull from as I scrap each page and add more complimentary patterns.
With that all set, I was too excited to hold off, so I went ahead and started playing with a title page. I couldn't resist taking a blank page protector, stitching a giant Christmas Tree shape, and then filling it with confetti! YAY! Fun!
A little cluster of goodies completes the look. Behind this first page, is a lovely and OLD Hambly transparency with a giant wood snowflake attached. I chopped the edge off of the page protector and just stitched that to the transparency... basically giving it a way to go in the album, but still having the texture of the wood snowflake totally exposed. Below this sheet is the lovely gold dot vellum from Dear Lizzy Fifth and Frolic peeking through:
And, now it sits and waits
patiently for December 1, when the first Journal Your Christmas prompt will arrive from Shimelle in my inbox and provide some much needed direction for this project.
I am so looking forward to reflecting...
On all the traditions... past and present.