Thursday, December 13, 2012

It All Started With the Straws...

Recently, I was snooping around on Etsy for some washi. I quickly found what I wanted, but then I decided I should take advantage of shipping and get the most for that fee...

Well, you know how that goes.

And then, I got these straws...
And found this cute little tin at the dollar store...
Surely with some UTEE, I can come up with something here?
 I don't have one of those fancy melting pots, so I am just going to hope for the best here:
I will say that a large portion of this UTEE was blown out as soon as this heat tool came on. I know, I really should have seen that coming, especially now that it seems totally obvious.
But, I persevered! Heat, melt, add more, repeat.

Maybe some alcohol ink will dress this up a bit?
Well, that's a little darker than I expected. 
Oh well, that's what creative play is all about!
Let's forge ahead...
 Alrighty! With that all melted and hot, I just stick the straws right in...
That was easy. But, it is still a bit dark. Perhaps some glitter will counteract that darkness?
 Oh, I kinda like that!
 A little more glitter, and some pen work and I decide to call it done!
Well, that was an adventure that produced a super shiny, fun, and rather funky holiday ornament hanging thing-a-ma-bob...
Note to self: Get a melting pot.

I hope you are finding some time for random Christmas crafty play time!

19 comments:

  1. You always see such great potential in everything, Ashli, and I always love the end result. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, you overwhelm me with what you think of! Just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no time to play. My studio calico kit is barely unpacked. This looked fun though laurab. Www.whosthischick.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Cool straws.
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cool!!! I saw some red and green straws like that at Michaels last week. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! So sparkly and fun! Terrifically beautiful ornament! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Love love love this!!! Awesome work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. really? {fabulous}~wish I could hang out with your brain:):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it, the straw tree is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! So fun! And the end result looks gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous idea. I have just been thinking about getting one of the melting pots but why waste all my money on one when I can probably cobble one together with your inspiration. Spend the money on UTE powder instead. Thanks.

    Hugs Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesomely funky!! I have some straws too. Have to get creative.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...