Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Remixing the Grid....

I have long admired the beautiful aesthetic of a well-done Project Life spread. All the little pockets of goodness, the mini layouts, the grid design. It's just lovely. While doing a project that requires this level of commitment and chronology doesn't speak to me at this point, I just love the look!

I am particularly inspired by Julie's, Nirupama's, and Patricia's. I would welcome the opportunity to flip through any of theirs in person and soak up all the details!

In addition to being inspired by the above, I have also been inspired by the current class I am taking; Scrapbook Remix from Shimelle. The daily prompts and bi-weekly videos are full of design principles and ideas galore! One prompt that resonated with me the most was a all about grids and the strength of their designs. Shimelle offered up countless options that got me thinking. After all, one of my most favorite page designs is a sketch of hers that utilizes this concept. In addition to a strong page foundation, the other thing I do love about grids on layouts is the way they allow the patterned paper to really shine. And, you know I love my pretty paper!

With all of the aforementioned swimming in my head....

I was surfing blogs the other day and came upon this layout. LOVE! It combines everything I was just thinking about with a bit of mixed media action. YES!

So, with all that mixing and remixing in my brain.... I need to scrap it out!

Let's go!

Since grids allow for patterned paper to really shine, I have gathered some Studio Calico lovlies.

First up, a page very reminiscent of Project Life. Look, I even broke out my rarely used corner rounder!
I am certainly not the first person to try the Project Life look sans page protector. In fact, Julie had a post on this just yesterday. I had to laugh when she said this style took her a long time.... my thoughts exactly! This took forever! But, I think it was worth it :)

Next up, I am keeping with the Project Life look, but adding in a bit more layering... a la Shimelle....
This one was much faster due to more layering and less measuring. But, I was still able to stay with the a loose "grid" style and even play with some page protector remnants.

Now, let's put it all together and throw in my beloved mixed media:
As you can see, the corner rounder sat this one out and I was back to a more traditional grid while still including some layering. Oh yeah - and there was no measuring and all the cuts were done free hand with the scissors.

I had more fun trying all of these out! In fact, I think the first one is my favorite... the one that most closely resembles my original inspiration of Project Life. I'm not sure if it's because it took me so long to do that it feels extra special, or if it's that in addition to lots of photos, it also has lots of fun little bits. And that is what I love most about the Project Life aesthetic.

This was out of my comfort zone for sure and stretched me a bit. You know, all that measuring and lining up of things....

It's good to mix-it-up every now and then, don't you think?

29 comments:

  1. love them - love how you 'stepped outside' your comfort zone and still created something very you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo very cool. i love the project life asthetic too - but mine's way to boring to pull it off everyday but I really enjoy others. It surprises me that you have a "comfort zone" you get out of. You seem fearless to me. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your take on the classic grid!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun take on Project Life! Still looks very much like your style. I like how you took the idea and worked it several times in several different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In trying your hand at PL, your style still shines through in all of its beautiful renditions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the SC goodness, Ashli!! And the way you worked these grid designs is really awesome!! I love them all, but that first one is especially super fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such awesome ideas! I wish I had a 1/4 of your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am loving the idea of a PL layout without the divided protectors - must try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Super fun pages. I think the first one might be my fave, too. But the third one is a close, close second. I love that you got so many yummy details on both pages but the photos aren't lost.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool idea! Love how you worked the PL grids into your Scrapbooking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are really great! I am inspired to jump out of my comfort zone with how well you did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the grid design, they are harder for me for some reason. Great layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you did the PL look on your pages, fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! You just rock! Gorgeous layouts and so many details - it's almost overwhelming to study your layouts! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the first page best (and I can see why it was time-consuming), but the pictures on the second one are absolutely *adorable*!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the different grid looks here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous pages - they are all gorgeous. For me thought, I love the last one. Such a fab photo and the cluster of embellies at the top is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this technique!! This is something I've been thinking about trying as well.

    Beautiful pages!

    Have a Blessed and Beautiful day ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, you are so sweet to mention me.

    Awesome! Love that you tried the look and feel but your way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am such a sucker for grid designs!
    I just had to pin your first layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dangit. Every time I stop by your blog I find something new that I MUST try. It's a good thing I like new things. I adore your PL inspired pages, especially the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, the lovely grid!!! These pages are awesome! It's refreshing to work on a smaller scale sometimes - even if it does take awhile to master! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That peek a boo layout is beyond adorable! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very interesting take on Project Life. You always look at things in a new way, it amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Totally love the look of this. I am not a project lifer but I this is a great way to do an occasional PL page. I do have some of the protectors but I like your method where you are not limited by the protector's design. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...