Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Preparing to Journal...

A few months ago, I was blessed to receive boxes and boxes FULL of old family photo albums. As I poured through these memories, it brought to mind how many things stay the same, or are simply modernized versions of what they once were. In many ways, my family is so very similar to the families that came before. And at the same time, there are some big differences. So fascinating, don't you agree?

It's no secret that I am huge fan of Shimelle's scrapbooking approach. This time last year, I was just discovering her online classes and scrappy goodness. So, as usual I was a bit late to that party and didn't arrive in time for Journal Your Christmas.

Well, I am not going to miss it this year!

You see, I know there are lots of great stories to tell, but I must admit thinking of how to get it all out of my brain is a little overwhelming. And really, there are so many stories that can be told from one old photo. So, I figure if I combine her fabulous journaling prompts with my memories of Christmas past, I will have a bit of direction and can complete an album of Our Christmas Heritage - an album for my family all about why we do what we do at this special time of year.

Now, seeing as I have never taken this class and only have access to past year's materials... I am hoping this will work out!

At any rate, I figure I have the most chance of succeeding if I am well prepared.

So...
I have fussy cut papers, punched shapes, and gathered embellishments:
 Pulled die cuts and journaling cards from my stash:
 I even had a little fun with some napkins from Target:
Wondering about alphas? I didn't have it in me to try and find all the letters I would need out of coordinating Thickers or sticker sheets. And purchasing enough of the same stickers to do titles on every page was not in the holiday budget planning. I might handwrite the titles, I might just pull stickers here and there from my stash. We'll see :)

OK, moving on!

I have made tissue paper rosettes...
And wax paper Christmas trees, thanks to this fabulous idea from Julie:
 I punched Vellum snowflakes...
And made confetti:
I have gathered washi, glitter tape, flowers, and thread. Have you noticed my color pallet yet? Aqua, Red, Black, White, Grey. With a bit of green, yellow, and pink thrown in too. Yeah, I know... that is most every color. I just can't help myself!
I have pulled stamps from my stash:
 And some Chic Tags awesomeness:
And I organized my pattern papers by color. Most of these were from my stash and aren't specifically Christmas themed. I did order a handful of Basic Grey, Studio Calico, and Crate Paper from their Christmas lines to complete this collection:
I then inserted my heritage photos into their page protectors...
 They are loosely arranged by previous year's prompts from Shimelle's class...
My plan is to combine modern day photos with those of Christmas past to tell the complete story of Our Christmas Heritage.

All in this gorgeous album:

See, it doesn't even have one of those annoying windows cut into the front! It's like they knew I would be embarking on this adventure. Thank you Crate Paper!

I know what you are thinking... a full 12x12 album, Ashli?!? In one month? During the busiest time of the year????

YEPPERS!

Don't worry, I do have a few reasons for the insanity:

- I am not thinking of this so much as a daily. This is to scrap the story of Our Christmas Heritage.
- This will be a one time adventure. Next year, I will likely do the more common mini book style of a daily.
- I am not doing this date-wise. There will not be page numbers. I am approaching this in a more topic driven way. This is all to say that I will not necessarily be scrapping a page a day.
- This will be the bulk of my crafty focus for the month of December. My desk does look so lovely with all of those little bits all over it :)
- I wanted the full real estate of a 12x12 page to be able to showcase the heritage photo along with the current photo, with plenty of room left for creative play - AND writing. Lots of writing to tell all those stories!
- And, well.... I just love scrapping 12x12.

Speaking of my love for 12x12 scrapping, I also love the feel of a mini. The random bits, tags, and twine peeking out from the side, the textures of the pages not behind a sheet of plastic. I want the best of both! So, I will be approaching this as such. 

My plan is to incorporate the page protectors into the design as much as possible. This means I will think of the pages living permanently in their spot. In other words, they will not be able to be removed from the page protectors because I plan to do fun things like, stitch, staple and cut the protectors right along with the pages inside them. A bit of an experiment, but it should be fun! Don't worry, I have a digital backup of the heritage photos :)

So, I will see you next time to show that album cover all decorated up, my title page, and the way I have chosen to do "foundation pages," a.k.a. how am I going to divvy up all that patterned paper? 

I will be working on this all December and I hope you will join me as I attempt to scrap Our Christmas Heritage.

See you soon!

33 comments:

  1. oh man, you've made me so excited now!! see you in class friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...you are so brave to do a 12x12! And I LOVE the idea of doing a Christmas past journal instead of a daily one. That photo of the confetti is so yum...i wanna sprinkle it all over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love those vellum punched snowflakes! All of your bits and pieces look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't wait to see this come together!! you rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are definitely ambitious! lol... but always have awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be awesome! Can't wait to see all that goodness in action this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WooHoo! Isn't Christmas Fun! Looking forward to seeing your art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your planning with us, can't wait to see how it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks wonderful! Great plan! And I have to get that gorgeous album!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at all of these yummy goodies to work with! I can't wait to see how this comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a fabulous project! Can't wait to see how you go about it. I love the trees! Thanks for pointing to Julie's post. I hadn't see it and can totally see myself making these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cant wait to see how this comes out, you have a lovely and very organized start. It can't be anything other than beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow~very cool idea and I'm sure this will turn out awesome!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That album is gorgeous! (The windows annoy me, too.) Can't wait to see your pages come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow you are so prepared! i love everything you've lined up - this is gonna be an amazing album!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine will be 12x12 too. I am considering using PL365 pocket pages. We shall see. I need to come up with a plan so that I can successfully do this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, cannot wait to see it, good luck and have fun creating!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those embellishments look so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the vellum snowflakes and wax paper trees, can't wait to see how you use all those goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your colors. My favorite color for Christmas is the teal. Any line with teal in it gets my vote!

    Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much anticipation! I can't wait to see what you do with all of those wonderful things, and I'm duly impressed by the forethought and organization!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! First of all - a big props for taking this on. Second - I just love all your supplies - and love the little things you've made in anticipation! This is going to be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This project sounds awesome! I can't wait to see what you do each day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow you are super organised, I must now go and do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so looking forward to your progress. I'll be in JYC also.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm loving the color scheme and all the elements you have ready to roll. Can't wait to see what you put together cuz I know its gonna be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am doing JYC for the first time too. I haven't organized yet but now i know i'll be punching some vellum snowflakes. Thanks for that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love you are doing a 12x12. If you feel comfortable doing it then go for it. The album is awesome so pretty. I love all the goodie you have out for it. The snowflakes and trees are awesome. I can't wait to see it when it is all done.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very excited to see your album completed!
    I know by seeing all of the product that it will be amazing :)

    Starting to think that JYC may be more my style than December Daily.
    Something to keep in mind next year!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Crikey, you are well organised and I admire your attempt and I believe you will get it done, Good Luck and see you in class.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...