Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Bit of Deconstructing...

After a bit of pondering, some blog post reading, message board chatting, and some serious convos with the hubbs, I took the plunge and signed up for another Shimelle class. Oh, wait! Who am I kidding?!?!?! I had enrolled in Learn Something New Everyday faster than you can type "Shimelle." I mean really - it costs $15, it includes lifetime membership, 30 prompts, a forum full of crafty peeps... what is not to like? HELLO! 

Now, if you are wondering why you haven't signed up for this yet, it's not too late :) I would love to see you in class. 

One of the best parts is seeing the various takes on this month-long project. There are scrappers who are incorporating the daily prompts into their Project Life, people doing regular 12x12, lots of mini-book action and even some art journals. So inspiring. 

Me? I decided to use a SMASH Book. Sort of. I am thinking I could have a little more fun with this if I deconstructed it. After all, sometimes the best way to learn something new is to take something apart. So, let's go for it!
 Nothing a pair of scissors can't handle...
 Time for the real fun to begin! Gesso, anyone?
 Smooshy Smooshy:
 Ahhh - the dreaded drying time...
OK, now that it is (mostly) dry, perhaps some white acrylic paint and this fun little stencil will be neat:
 And in fact it is! Hooray!
More drying time. Oh bother. While I impatiently wait on that, I peruse my stash for lots of gorgeousness to work from to make my mini over the course of September. I have decided on a red, aqua, and lime green palette consisting of some SMASH pages and Echo Park with a bit of Crate and Lily Bee thrown in the mix:
 All dry. Now we mist and dab, mist and dab....
 Lookin' good!
Time for some patterned paper fun. I LOVE this sheet from Crate and I am rationalizing my use of map paper on this by thinking that learning something new everyday will be a journey. Get it? Map? Journey.... Works for me!
Oh, yeah - and some gorgeous flowers don't hurt either (I might have hit the floor when I saw these in Michael's last week. And I may or may not have bought 3 packs):
 Some washi, twine and a title....
 Now I am all set to Learn:
 And make a pretty mini:
 Filled with fun:
I already have days 1-5 in this bad boy!
I will be back later in the month to show you more!

Now, pardom me while I go learn something...



31 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. You do love messes (said with much love, lol). So far so good in this class. Can't wait to see more postings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW!! What a great idea. This is fabulous. Can't wait for the rest.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOO I love it!!! I am using an 8x8 that I had on hand. I am a little behind, but hopefully I can get caught up and back in the crafty groove of things =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad you showed this, I was going to ask you about deconstructing the SMASH book. I have one, but feel a little limited by it...now I may just have to do a little deconstructing myself. WOO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You went for the blue!! Good choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought that SAME album at the beginning of the summer with the intention of using is as a summer mini...it is still in the package.

    You do such amazing stuff...everytime I come HERE I learn something new! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh!!!! Gorgeous! I have never tryed one of her classes but you really tempt me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to class!!! Glad your joining us...I LOVE this project/class! Can't wait to see your pages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Such a clever, creative girl (with magic hands..hehe) LOVE this!!!! TFS!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! I love how you just tear things apart (OK, deconstruct, LOL) and put them back together to fit your needs and style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! And those flowers are so pretty. I can't wait to see your inner pages!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty!
    I wish I was better at deconstructing things, but it usually ends up looking like a hot mess (lol)

    I hope you will be able to share some of what is inside as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the best looking Smash book I have ever seen! And that ribbon...oh I know where you got that ;) Hee hee! This is awesome. So much easier to open and close like this too. Will have to check out that class. I have never taken one of hers! Have a great weekend! Thank you for the sweet comment and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! <3 Just gasping with awe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love this!! I've got numerous SMASH books here unused for the same reason you took a bit to get started - just didn't feel like I had a grasp on what I wanted to do with mine - now I've got better plans and inspiration!!! I've got to hit up the forum for this class as I've been following along again this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just terrific! Another stunning and inspirational piece - love all the process photos, and the finished covers are a wonder!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in class too! I love your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to say I gasped out loud when I saw you cut that cover! But was grinning from ear to ear by the end of your post! Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way you took this apart and created something uniquely yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that is gorgeous! Love it. The map paper and flowers are lovely. I may have to check out Michaels as well to get some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. Just wow! I only recently found your blog, but I've been going through your older posts and have added you to my reader. I can't believe the art your can create and I am in love with this project! I just bought a plain 'ole notebook yesterday to start an idea book for some renovations in my basement. Now, I NEED to make one like this instead! It's fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...