Friday, July 27, 2012

The Big Picture...

Here we are, at the end of this chapter in My Creative Journey. Thank you for joining me this month as we took a look back at my first year as a scrapbooker. I have so enjoyed sharing this story and I thank you for reading! If you have missed any installments, I have created a button on the right side bar that you can click to read the story in it's entirety. 

In my last post, we took a look at My Turning Point and when it all really clicked for me. So what did I do with that revelation? Well, once again, I took a class! This time it was The Curious Scrapbooker's Field Guide with the fabulous May Flaum over at Big Picture Classes. I had originally found Big Picture through Stacy Julian's videos on My Craft Channel and had subsequently signed up for their emails. 

One day, an email came through about a new class with May Flaum. I had never heard of her. But, there was a video to watch about it and we all know that I am sucker for videos, so I hit play as fast as I could. WHOAH! This May lady seemed super cool and all of the mixed media fun she had planned for this class seemed right up my happy scrappy alley. 

So, with a bit of hinting, hubster bought the class for me for Valentine's Day. Ok, well... I bought it and told him that it was my present. Whatever works, right?!?

And boy, this class did NOT disappoint! In fact it exceeded all expectation. Not only was I enjoying the extensive prompt and video instruction, but the community on Big Picture was beyond amazing. I happily scrapped and chatted, getting to know crafters around the world. Fun times!

Here are some of my favorites from class...

I began with my first layout that included tags:
Trying out stamping in the background:
Stamping and Confetti fun:
Creating a resist with paint applied using cardboard:
Layers and stamping galore:
Playing with heat embossing:
Stamping and banner bits:
Molding paste meets butterflies:
Oh, and I even did my first mixed media painting since college. YAY! 
This class truly propelled me to the next level. It kept me inspired, motivated, and busy! I "met" people I still keep in touch with. Oh yeah, I hear through the grapevine that this class will return in 2013, so be on the lookout for that. I can't recommend it enough!

So what came next?... Well, that class was just a few months back, and since you are a fan of the mailbox, you already know! ... LOL.

This past year has been an exciting and wild ride full of pretty paper! I am not looking back. Thank you for being part of Purple Mailbox. Can't wait to see what the next year brings!

See you soon as we bring July to a close with a new Layout Love Linky. I will also announce the winner of Shimelle's class and showcase last month's entries. Can't wait!!!

18 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about your creative journey. I really love your artist style and I'm so happy I found your blog. Thank you for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed your journey from start to finish...only it isn't a finish is it...you may be writing another chapter in 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reminded of a poem while reading this post. Thought I would share

    The Road goes ever on and on
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can,
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say. ~ J.R.R. Tolkien The Fellowship of the Ring

    Enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so enjoyable to read through your journey! And you are motivating me to try taking a class as I never did before! You are so inspiring! And oh my you just got into scrapbooking and hit the fastforward button!!! It took me 5 years to reach a point where I can start to see my style! lol! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your creative journey and watching your style evolve

    Cheers
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading through your creative journey this past month. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I can't wait to contine to be inspired through your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your first year with us... so inspiring to hear all about it, and now to be part of the continuing journey. Amazing layouts out of that class - wow!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always look at your work real slow~I want to take it all in :):):) amazing, again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like the class would be awesome and your layouts are amazing and totally "you"! Thankyou for sharing your your journey with us... It was great taking the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have really enjoyed following the posts on your journey...what a unique style you have..it draws me in! Between following May and finding you a few months ago...cannot thank you enough for all you do and inspiring this Okie girl....thank you Ashli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, Dara! And, for your very sweet words!

      Delete
  11. These defo look more like your normal style! You were a cute blonde little girl! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved your creative journey! looked forward to these posts. thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And what a wild ride it's been,,,Curious Scrapbooker was such an awesome and inspiring class. I can't tell how I kept debating whether or not to take it, thinking the price was too high. Silly me, it is the best money I have spent! My crafty eyes were opened wide at all we could do!! And one of the very best things was meeting you in class. You truly do inspire me. To do more, go further, try new things. Thanks for sharing your journey this July, it has been so fun to follow along. I feel like the Purplemailbox is sitting right out on the road in front of my house alongside my mailbox. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been so fun to read this chapter, can't wait to see what's next! I love your style, and mostly the way you show you process, mainly because I'm such a visual learner. Thanks for sharing yourself with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your layouts are AMAZING!Wow, the time they must have took. Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing your creative journey with us! A journey that I have enjoyed a lot and received so much inspiration that I'm almost living all day and all night in my crafting room! Lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...