Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Let The Challenges Begin!

In the last post about My Creative Journey, I shared the first time I went public as a scrapper. Oh, I was so nervous, but it went surprisingly well! In addition to figuring out how to upload and link-up, I even received a comment. I was pumped! And, on top of that, I had my aha moment of how this new hobby of mine could bring back the artist in me!

So, I hit the class section of Two Peas with a gazelle-like gusto! It was the fall of last year and I couldn't get enough of this new found passion of mine! 

I had great fun revisiting that sketch in my last post... let's do that again!

First up we have the October edition of Stretch Your Sketch with Jen Gallacher. I'm not sure I really understood what it meant to work from a sketch as this is very different from what she showed in the video - LOL! 
As you can see above, I was still working my way through many hand-me-down supplies. This layout also proved to be a bit of a milestone as it was the first layout I ever sewed on... now one of my favorite techniques!

And, here is my version of the same challenge that I completed just a few days ago:
It's so fun to look at the first LO and see bits of "my style" developing. Once again, we see tiny patterns and horizontal lines. In the more current layout, I incorporated more of the original sketch from the class video and traded out the brown, muted colors for brighter and softer shades.

I also took a huge step during the fall of 2011... I placed my very own order of scrapbooking supplies! I hadn't really figured out my likes and dislikes yet and ordered quite the hodgepodge of items, most of which were from the sale section. It is quite humorous to me to look back on this:
All of these things really were chosen at random and some of them are still in my stash or have been passed down to my daughters! 

Next up was Products You Love Every Which Way with Shannon Tidwell. The month's focus was chipboard. I hadn't ordered any of that yet, so I dug into the supplies from my friend Joy and found some chipboard shapes. I was so proud of myself for painting them to use on this layout!
I had received some washi tape and alpha stickers in my box of goodies and quickly put them to use on this layout too! It's funny, at the time it didn't even occur to me that I didn't have any patterned paper or journaling on here. 

Something extra exciting happened with this challenge, I won! Now, I should note that winners were completely random and the only requirement was participation. But, it still made me feel SO good! The prize was a $10 gift card for Two Peas and rest assured I spent that almost faster than it was awarded to me!

Just a few days ago, I re-watched that video and then made this:
Raw chipboard and stitching, YUM! It's so fun to look back and compare the two!

And of course, who could spend a month in classes at Two Peas without watching one of Shimelle's videos? Perhaps you remember the awesomeness that was the 4x6 Photo Love class? It is AMAZING! The ideas she presented in this class truly encouraged me to think outside of the box with my pages! Here is my first attempt at her October class:
It's interesting, this is a lot darker and a bit more "clunky" than what I now prefer. All part of finding my way...
And, here is my version completed just recently:
Oh, lookey there! A lot of the same colors were used, only kraft was replaced with white and smaller embellishment clusters were used.
I had so much fun revisiting these challenges! As I re-watched these videos and scrapped away, I couldn't help but think how amazing it is that all of these FREE resources exist online! The generosity of the paper crafting and scrapbooking industry is astounding! I have fallen in love with that. What is not to love about a community that is so free with the amount of education and inspiration that is shared? 

Having studied and worked in the commercial arts, I find it beyond refreshing that ideas are so freely exchanged, and even lifted, in this hobby! There are many areas of the arts where imitation is certainly not considered flattery. Paper crafting and Scrapbooking is wonderfully inclusive! It doesn't matter who you are, where you came from, or where you are going, anyone can grab some pretty papers and a photo and go to town. And you know what? Art should be accessible. Art should be fun. Art should make you smile.... and....

I am smiling :)

OK, now that I have gotten all philosophical.... are you wondering how I moved forward from all the challenges? Did I take a class? When did "my style" click? Was it smooth sailing into scrappy happy wonderland? Or, was there a bit of an awkward phase? Stay tuned....












20 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love how you went back and pulled some of your older layouts and recreated based on the challenges/classes. Can't wait for the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm starting to see when it clicked. I think Shimelle's class has something to do with it. I was in that class too ~loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love seeing the old with the new! great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much fun going through your creative journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you revisited your old layouts, not to redo them (as some scrappers do), but to see where you are in your journey now as compared to then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun look back and a great comparison too. I have to agree: raw chip and sewing is yummy indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun trip down your layouts Memory Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your layouts are awesome.
    I still don't know my style. I don't think I have a specific style actually, and I'm okay with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a pretty eclectic order! Did the Doodlebug Lilac grid end up on a layout with Graphic 45 Steampunk paper???? LOL. Yes, we scrapbookers have a pretty fun community, don't we? Two Peas really is an amazing place to share and learn. Love that you went back and did these challenges again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its fun seeing where you were and now where you're at. I like looking back at mine. Those were some scary times. LOL!! I learned from dvr'g Sandy Genovese on DYI...and any others I could find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm thinking there was no awkward phase. You seemed to fall into your groove pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you have revisited these challenges a year later with your more *mature* style :) So fun to see this process and hear your take on it! Love seeing the order you placed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the comparisons between your older and more recent layouts.
    But all of your layouts have such great style.
    And I have to agree that 2p's is such an amazing resource.
    I love the free classes and videos!

    I also have to say for me, getting that first box from two peas was such a rush. And it was only the first of many after that (lol). I love that you have a screen shot of your first purchase there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is like this novels that are released a few chapters at a time and leaves the reader ACHING for the next installment! This is such a great series, and I am amazed at how quickly your style evolved and took hold! Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodnes... you have been really busy! And I sooooo adore your work!!! I love each and every piece, but the last one is my absolute fav! *lol*
    Thanks for sharing.. I totally LOVE your style and your work! You are amazing! :)
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such wonderful projects and many hours of love and work that went into them, beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing! It's fun to see how things evolved!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been doing an occasional redo too. I am just starting to take classes now and only just gone public with a blog. Not sure where it will take me yet. Love your layous. Always so much Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that I've started blogging, I'm digging through and sharing layouts from when I first started and I'm so tempted to redo them but then I think, nah....it's really fun to see how my style has changed. I'm really enjoying seeing your layouts evolve too, tfs :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. This serious is awesome! My first two peas purchase was similar. All from the sale section. It took me a good while to start purchasing the new releases.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...