Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Just One Year Ago...

Just one short year ago, I was not a scrapbooker. I thought October Afternoon was a lovely fall day, that My Mind's Eye was a catchy expression and that Two Peas in a Bucket meant that I had a lot more work to do in the garden.

But before I get into how exactly that all changed, let me back up a bit.

You see, even though I wasn't a "scrapbooker," I had made several scrapbooks. I viewed this much like I view cooking... I don't enjoy it, but we have to eat, right? I had fun pictures and memories I wanted to save and the logical thing was certainly to paste them into a book. I did not enjoy the process. In fact, it was a chore to say the least. But, having the final albums on the shelf was so nice and it also represented another thing checked off the list of things to do, right next to cooking dinner.

Albums like the planning of my wedding. This album is seriously huge. You could dislocate a shoulder trying to get it off the shelf. I don't think they even make this size any more, but I will tell you that most of the pages don't have protectors on them because they were so expensive to buy. HaHa!
Oh, yes - check out the oval cut photo and the decorative edge scissors at work! This was 2001 after all. 
How about the strap style album used for my honeymoon trip? 
If there were supplies beyond the stationary isle in Michael's, I didn't know about them. That is clearly evident here!
And here! Oh my, look at the sunshines!!! 
(Let me jump in here to add that there is nothing wrong with sunshines or themed scrapping. It's just not what speaks to me and it's not what jazzes me about playing with paper and glue! And, getting jazzed is what made this go from being a chore to being a seriously fun hobby for me :)
And then in 2003, we bought our house and I started a little post-bound album of the decorating we did to make it our own... Complete with old wall paper and paint swatches:
When we started our family, I began a little 6x6 post-bound birthday book for each new child. One page a year shows the fun time we had celebrating...complete with photos cut into outlines:
Apparently, at some point I did discover the scrapbook isle and bought some birthday themed paper:
So, how on earth did I get from this point to being a completely obsessed paper crafter? What made me go from dreading the glue stick and scissors to looking forward to nights spent with my stack of pretty paper? 

How did I go from scrapping the above, without enjoyment... to scrapping something like this with complete joy?
Join me through the month of July as I celebrate my 1 year Scrapiversary. 

We will take a trip down memory lane and explore things from what first peaked my interest in this hobby, to my first scrapbook shopping trip, to the completely awkward phase of trying to find "my style." 

And, of course, I will be sharing my usual start to finish posts throughout the month as well. I hope you will take this trip into the past year with me! See you again soon at the Mailbox!



29 comments:

  1. I have to say I have that same sunshine paper, but my daughter used it on one of her layouts ;)
    Love that you found a passion for paper crafting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, this sounds like a lot of fun...will be reading along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I would love to learn more about your journey into scrapbooking with enjoyment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also meant to add that your first scrapbooks look A LOT like mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun! Can't believe you've only been doing this a year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cannot wait to see these posts!
    What a transformation :)

    But I have to admit that your early scrapbooks are similar to mine.
    We were a product of the times (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you've only been at this for a year? So funny that you made the other scrapbooks and didn't enjoy it. I have scrapbooks that look remarkably like that and thought I was making a masterpiece the entire time! LOL. Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to hear your story x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Girl you took the words right out of my mouth! I feel the exact same way about scrapbooking. Although, I have never been able to put my feelings into words as well as you have :) My earlier scrapbooks look just like yours...I guess it's kind of a right of passage. You have to get the decorative scissors out of your system before you can move on to lovely layouts. I'm on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the "Next Chapter" in your story. Hoping to find a love as opposed to my usual loathing of scrapbooking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait and your pages look like mine did 13 years ago - you are brave - mine will never see the light of day. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. See you at the mailbox! Tis will be an interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to hearing about your process! How brave of you to share those older pages! I think we all have some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. no way~you went from that to this!!1 See what was lurking inside you!!!:):)thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  15. great job...love the photo...keep the inspiration coming...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I will definitely be checking that out! We all have scrapbooks like your originals...they just show us how we've grown...haven't we all come a long {long} way! I LOVE your last page - so darling!
    Great post!
    Jasmine
    alittledabofglue.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a big change you've made! And in so little time! Wow! One year ago I didn't knew anything about papercrafting either. What you can learn and achieve in one year is just amazing. Love to see more of your scrapping journey.

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have come so far Ashli! I truly think you have found your style and are so genuine to it each and every day. Love all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, we all have scrapbooks like that. I thought mine were great then ... yikes! Now they make me laugh (and cringe). Can't wit to see how you did all this in one year. It took me so much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy scrapiversary! I started the same way as you, back in 1999. Things have come a long way since then!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm uber excited for these posts!! I am currently in the process of figuring out my style. I'm having SO much fun and it is starting to take shape. I am getting a blog makeover and hopefully it will be complete by the beginning of next week and I will be up and running with a beautiful makeover and ready to post some fun things :)

    I really love your blog and your process!! Thank you so much for sharing!!! Have a Blessed fourth ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy scrappiversary!!!! This post is perfect! I almost laughed myself off my chair- my first "scrap" album is from 2001 too and looks exactly like this!!! Well not the decorative scissors- I didn't have does at the time- I use them now though! The sunny papers- I don't know I think you kinda rocked them. I've seen people do amazing things with the themed stuff in Michael's- just not me (ha!)- so I feel you on that too. The last page is AMAZING- it's like, WHOA!!! Thanks for this blog and your constant enthusiasm and open sharing- it's rare to find someone so willing to take her readers along in her process and I think you are inspiring a whole new generation of crafters to take their "hobby" seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy anniversary! I love this post - thanks for sharing your beginnings and evolution. It so exciting to see what you'll share next.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fun post. This really made me smile! Happy scrapiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love looking back at my old scrapbooks before I really scrapbooked...they mean so much...love this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I so enjoyed reading this- I have some of those scrapbooks, too, although I started a little later than you, so I missed the fancy scissors and oval shapes phase! What was tricky for me was scrapping photos of my "baby" when he was about 12, and just having to go with the poorly shot pictures that I had of his baby days. Luckily I did have a SLR at the time, so I have a few good shots. LOve your sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...