Friday, July 13, 2012

Going Public...

So, where were we? At this point in My Creative Journey, I have done some themed shopping, learned the basics of the inks and die cutting, and have found the wealth of videos on YouTube, specifically Shimelle's

I should also mention that we have welcomed our third child into our family at this point and this affords me a large amount of time at home, cuddling and feeding my sweet newborn. And what is better to do while sitting for countless hours than watch scrapbooking tutorials? Well, probably a few things...but I digress.

Now, I had watched many a Shimelle video, but for some reason the Scrapbook Sketch of the Week below is THE one that made me scour my hand-me-down supplies and scrap along with her. Perhaps it was timing. I had finally watched all of her videos and happened upon this one when it was actually posted. And, that meant I could play along and link-up! FUN!
That also meant I would have to "go public." Oh my. Was I ready for that? What would people say? Did I even know how to photograph my project? How on earth would I upload it? 

But, I was pumped! Shimelle's enthusiasm and love for scrapbooking is contagious. I couldn't resist. So, I dove right in. I found some papers that Joy had given me and went to town. I improvised as best I could, even using watered down house paint for the misting.

I somehow managed to photograph it, edit the image with a bit of iPhoto magic, upload it and link it too! Whoot!
And to top it off, someone at Two Peas even left me a nice comment! I was on top of the world! It's funny...for some reason it didn't even occur to me that I was actually supposed to use photos on this layout, although she makes it quite clear in the video - LOL! All I knew is that I had these cute post it notes that my daughter had written and they kind of matched the paper I had. I went with it! 

And, you know what? Something clicked. It actually dawned on me while doing this layout that all of those years in art school and all of the graphic training was actually related to this fun new hobby of mine. I know what you are thinking... really? That hadn't occurred to you before Ashli? No, indeed it did not! Crazy? YES! True? You betcha!

With this new realization, I watched even more videos. And it really started to come together. The rule of thirds, the visual triangle, pointing the eye to your feature element, trapped white space, the importance of typography. All of those things that I payed a whole lot of money to study, were things that I could use while recording my family's memories! YAY!!!! This was so thrilling to me! It was as if I had unlocked a part of myself that I had put away so many years ago. I know mom and dad, if you are reading this, you are thrilled that my fancy art school degree is coming in so handy on a scrapbook page. LOL!

So, I forged ahead with gusto! What happened next? I will share soon. But, before I do... I thought it would be fun to revisit that initial challenge that made me go "public." So just a few days ago, I grabbed a set of supplies, and even remembered some photos this time. I scrapped along with Shimelle and here is what I came up with:
It's so fun to compare the two. I find it interesting that there are some similarities to what I would still do and yet some big differences.
I think the most notable similarity is my love for tiny little bits and patterns. It really did take me back as I worked with this video and sketch again. It's fun to think about where we have been and where we are headed!

See you again soon with more of My Creative Journey.


22 comments:

  1. Hmmm...are those circles and buttons I see?? LOL! Fun idea to go back to your inspiration a year later, and see what you come up with

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of your LO's. Now to watch that video and get some more Shimelle inspiration..

    Have. blessed weekend friend ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lovin' reading about your creative process! And so glad that degree is paying off for you now!! :)I can't believe that you have only been scrapping for such a realatively short time, yet your style is so distinct. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really enjoying these posts - everyone's journey to a crafty life is so different but I love finding each story! Thanks for sharing - love your Lo's as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad it all clicked for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I have said it before, but you have such a fabulous, unique style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, funny how these things click. I love your new layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super fun to be peeking in to your scrappy journey!! I love that you re-did this challenge. The first page is oh so sweet with the post-its - little kid writing is the best and your DD telling her dad not to move the chair is too funny!! Sweet story to have documented. Love the retake and how you've incorporated bits-n-pieces to your style!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed when I read your post, first the video of Shimelle {I did that LO too} love Shimelle, she has taught me so much and you are a natural { just had to get it to come out!!!) Enjoy your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These post always make me laugh. I'm loving following along with your journey. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your journey. I remember what it was like to go public too. I love all the fun details on your layout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT layout! Reading your journey makes me so glad that you chose to go public!
    Thanks for the nice comments on my room...I had posted parts of it once before but am in the midst of an overhaul in there.
    Off to by label gun tape today...If I don't have everything labelled I forget I own it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had to laugh too when I think of your parents' thoughts about that "fancy art degree". Fun to read about your journey

    ReplyDelete
  14. now that note is just to cute.. thanks for sharing love all the layouts....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this layout and all the tiny bits!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVING the kraft punches with the white spot inside- such a simple but fabulous details. I'm also really digging how you included the corners of the SC paper on this page- so different from expected- that's what I love about your work- we are using many of the same items but your stuff always makes me sit up and go- COOOOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome layouts!!!! I just love Shimelle inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great layouts..I am really going to have to check out her videos.
    So happy you realized that scrapbooking doesn't have to be just about cutting and gluing.
    It is whatever you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm laughing about using the post its instead of pictures, but I totally love the post its! Great idea :) Your layout is just amazing. Those little bits and pieces seem so daunting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cool design! Awesome! So glad you get to play along with all of us crazy scrappers! It is the best addiction!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...