Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Can I Get a Bookmark?

Welcome back! Thank you for joining me as we continue with My Creative Journey. Last time, we took a look at a very awkward phase as I tried to find "my style." 

I played around with lots of different approaches, techniques, and ideas... trying to find a pair of comfortable scrappy shoes. 

All the while, I was uploading these awkward attempts to the the gallery over at Two Peas In a Bucket. What a glorious place for inspiration! But, I must confess, I became a bit too interested in how many times my layouts were "liked" or bookmarked. Inspiration abounds, but so do feelings of inferiority, if you let them. I was letting it.

I noticed that some of my awkward layouts were bookmarked more than others and well... I liked getting bookmarked. See, I had let go of the idea that my art had to be sellable. However, I still really wanted people to like it!

So, I started paying attention to the high heels of the gallery. The fancy layouts that everyone liked and was bookmarking. And, I imitated things I saw.

I scrapped things like this:
And this:
And even this:
I really like all of the above layouts and they still make me smile. I reigned the techniques in a bit but, they are lacking "me." So, I took off the high heel shoes and decided to try on some sandals. A bit more breathing room. 


And I scrapped the layout below. This layout is still one of my favorites today. I took major inspiration from Jen G.'s layout here as well as Piradee's layout here. I had so much fun making it my own and playing with lots of different bits and pieces!
And then I scrapped this. I got a bit more free with things like messy stitching, random bits and pieces, and a cockeyed photo, but those sandals still felt too tight. 
And then this layout came along. I loosened the straps on the sandals and mixed some collections here, getting a bit more comfortable...
And, I got lots of bookmarks. I felt really good. I felt like people liked what I was doing and while that shouldn't matter, it gave me a huge sense of confidence. A confidence to take off those shoes and go completely barefoot!


We'll see what that looks like next as we are almost at the end of this chapter in My Creative Journey...

27 comments:

  1. I really love all of your layouts shown here :)
    Thank you for the Birthday Wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your journey and you have a way with words, also love your honesty. I totally relate to liking getting likes and comments on my work, I think it is a big confidence thing, not feeling good enough ect, ect. But I have to say I liked it when you took your high heels off and put your sandals on and then barefeet. You go girl !
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your style and have picked it up. I love that you use EVERYTHING. Stuff I had sitting around for ages collecting dust is now being used. I was so regimented. I'm working on the me part of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all of your pages, soap! i'm with you on do what feels right for you and TRY not to focus on the adulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashli, don't worry over the bookmarks, you do beautiful work and inspire me daily! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being barefoot is the best. :) I haven't checked my "stats" on 2Peas in years and years. In the early days of scrapping I sure did and I can relate to how deflating it can be when you don't get any or much love. Now I don't care. I scrap for me and my family and that's all that really matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all great!!!! love your work~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those stats are a downfall...great,mexciting, savor it...but takes too much focus off of just creating! Good for you in setting free! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In any pair of shoes, your layouts are amazing! "Well Hi There" has to be one of my favorites of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny, as I was reading this, i could feel myself stretching my toes! Hahaha! Your layouts are gorgeous :) I love the " messy" look but can't figure out how to interpret that into my own work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a great post. because we all relate to what you say. thanx for the honesty...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This creative journey is great. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am quite enjoying your creative evolution! Your shoe metaphor is darling and spot on! Thank you for sharing this journey with us, and leaving links as guideposts for us to discover our own scrappy styles! (I'm in the orthopedic shoes with leg braces stage...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the layouts and your mix of papers etc. Your journey is amazing so far and I can't wait to see the raw barefooted uniqueness that is your style... Thanks for sharing. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your old and new layouts lol. But I can see your more artsy daring and creative side in your newer layouts

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now, here's the ticket...I love all of these layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I see you coming into focus now. Not that there is anything the least little bit wrong with any of these layouts, mind you! Love the shoe metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That last layout is terrific and seems to flow so well! No wonder it was bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I struggle with this quite often. I love all the transformation that you have had.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful layouts!
    For me, I just post my layouts and don't look back these days.
    I used to find myself checking the gallery several times a day, but not anymore :)
    Maybe just once :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am loving it~to follow your creative journey through your eyes and how you see it. Thanks for sharing this with us, helps to open our eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your work is amazing and I've enjoyed reading about your creative journey. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...