Friday, July 6, 2012

The Beginner's Shopping List

In the last post about My Creative Journey, we took a look at my three ring revelation and how I was starting to have a little bit of fun with all of this paper and glue.

So, what happened next? Well, I was having so much fun, I decided I might actually start calling myself a scrapbooker! I had been busy working my way through the hand-me down supplies from Joy and had about used them all up. And, since I had finally broken down and actually labeled myself a scrapbooker, I decided I best get some supplies.

I made a very detailed and themed list based upon what remained from my scrap boxes. The list included things like: monkey stickers, letter stamps, paper trimmer, glue, ink and pumpkin paper. List in hand, I headed off to scrappy wonderland. With Joy as my tour guide, we hit Michael's, Jo-Anne, Hobby Lobby, and Archivers. I learned about paper, trimmers, punches, stickers and more! Over lunch I picked her brain to no extent and asked question after question about all things scrappy. It was an unbelievable day! 

I came home with a complete arsenal fit for a beginning scrapbooker. Armed with my themed papers, stamps and card stock, I got down to business!

And scrapped this:
And this:
There was not much consideration to design, as you can see. However, I find it interesting to look back and see some shadows of things that I now consider "my style." Things like, small repeated patterns, linear elements and pops of black.


This next layout, although I didn't realize it at the time, was a bit of a milestone for me. I began to take some risks here. I stamped a pattern, punched random holes and used the arrows in some unexpected ways.
I considered this a two page layout, but had the second page on the backside. It didn't occur to me to put them side by side! Another one of my now favorite techniques shows up here too... fussy cutting. Oh, I was so proud of my handcut alphabet cards, hole punched with a hand drawn pen line. Look, even back then I was using pen lines :)
This page truly is where I went from having fun to being super excited and pumped up about all of the possibilities! 

Possibilities like mini books and different techniques using inks, die-cuts and embossing...

Stay tuned!



11 comments:

  1. It's so fun to see the evolution of your layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, what a fun write-up... I LOVE IT!!! It's great to read the stories because in one way or another we relate and we feel a kinship. Thanks for sharing about yourself. I really enjoyed your two posts...keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been enjoying all your posts about how you got your start in scrapbooking - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool to see how your scrapping style has evolved, Ashli! One day I'll post my first layout on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pages all look cool! And it's very interesting to see the changes of your creativity on these layouts..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing your creative evolution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great~look where they took you:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving seeing your process and how you got started! Looking forward to what is next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a GREAT series!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Love too that you are showing us the "then" layouts...before you became the SoapHOUSE mama we all know and love today! Can't wait for the next chapter :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...