Thursday, July 5, 2012

The 3-Ring Revelation...

In the first post about My Creative Journey, we took a look back in time... A time when I viewed memory keeping as a chore. A time of glue sticks, post bound albums and themed papers. What changed all of this?

In 2005, I met my dear friend Joy. One of the first things out of her mouth was, "I'll have to invite you to a crop!" I must have looked at her like she had 500 heads. I had no idea what that meant!

Bless her heart, from 2005 to 2011, I was invited to countless crops. I even attended some and would give everyone a good giggle at whatever silly little thing I brought to work on. From time to time, Joy would chat with me a bit about her hobby. She insisted that I really would love it, especially given my art background.

Art background? Yep. I have always been artsy craftsy and with the support of my amazing parents, I attended Art College many years ago. Although I was a mixed media collage artist at heart, I chose a more sensible major of Digital Multi Media and Photography. That sounds fancy, but actually means nothing now as that was so long ago and technology has changed so much! I graduated before there was even such a thing as digital photography! Oh my. I did manage to work in the industry on and off for a bit, hating every minute of it. As you can imagine, the clean-lined and graphic style necessary for commercial art was a bit of a personality clash for me. Perhaps it was like trying to shove a square peg in a round hole...or something like that! So, yes - my name is Ashli and I am a recovering Graphic Designer.

In 2011, while pregnant with my third child, I sent Joy a completely innocent email asking her how to apply text to some baby announcements that I wanted to make. Oh, boy! I did not expect the detailed response that was to come! With all the options presented to me, I knew I would need to inlist the personal shopping services of Joy!

Off to Hobby Lobby we went. She was gentle with me. She kept me close as to guard me from slipping into a coma induced state of shock and overwhelm! 

After grabbing the 2 sheets of vellum I would need for my baby announcements, we strolled down the isle of albums.

What I saw next would totally change my world. 

Three-Ring scrapbook albums!!!! I had no idea! Oh my goodness! You mean I don't have to find a screw driver or thread a strap to add a page in an album? Could the ease of this possibly release me from the idea of memory keeping in chronological order? You mean I don't have to "keep up?" 

And then, Joy pointed out that I didn't even have to do a page. I could hole punch one of my kid's drawings and just stick it right in! HOLY COW!!!!
Having experienced that major revelation, I went back home to let all that sink in.

As I mentioned, I was pregnant with my third child. Well, as many of you know a good bit of "nesting" tends to occur in the third trimester. And, since it was the middle of summer and crazy HOT, my nesting took the form of office and paper organization. I filed. I shredded. I labeled. And then, I came upon my scrap boxes. Yep, you heard that right, scrap boxes. You see, I had gotten two big white tubs from Ikea, one for each child. The idea was that I just tossed the drawings, notes and memorabilia into the tubs and each kid would have their special things saved. Well, as I stood there and looked at those boxes on the shelf and thought to myself how I really needed another one for baby #3, I realized how much space that would take up! Especially since we knew we wanted to have more than 3 kids eventually. 

We wouldn't have enough space for all the memories! OH no! My mind immediately went back to the 3-ring album. Off I went to Hobby Lobby to grab a couple of those bad boys!

So, armed with some hand-me-down paper from Joy, I dove into those scrap boxes with the goal of turning them into scrap books!

I made pages like this:
And this:
As you can see, it didn't really occur to me yet that there could be more to this than circle photos and pastel matts. At this point, I was just thrilled to be consolidating the big pile of papers from those boxes! I was nesting...successfully! And, believe it or not, I was having fun! 

Where would this take me? Stay tuned...

19 comments:

  1. Awesome story!!! That Joy is so great. Thanks goodness she was persistent with you because you are AMAZING!!! I am looking forward to the next part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, thank goodness for Joy ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story! Lovely to see the starting off point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashli,
    I am absolutely LOVING this series!! Can't wait to hear more!!!

    Have a Blessed evening ~~ dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoying the series...keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was so excited when the 3 ring binders came out- sooo much easier for someone who does not scrap chronologically.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Three ring binders are a blessing! I don't know what I did without them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to post some of my early stuff!!! Love all your stufff girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO fun to see your first scrapbook pages...and the story is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun, Ashli! I think 3 ring albums are one of the best things to happen to Scrapbooking! Along with Thickers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story..I just switched to three ring binders too...so freeing. I don't even care if I put anything in any kind of order. Each page is a surprise...no assumig what comes next. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your trip down memory lane. I see you have so far resisted the urge to cut your pictures into cute little shapes. I also avoided that trend. For me, the early days were all about Mrs. Grossman stickers!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love reading about your creative journey and seeing some of your early pages :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh for the love of 3 ring albums. I honestly don't know where I would be without them. Best. Thing. Ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this story-my life totally changed when 3 ring binders appeared on the scene! No more guilt about staying caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I KNEW IT!!!! I knew it! I knew it! I knew you had an art background! AND that you had been at this longer than a year! The pages posted here are so advanced- so many amazing techniques- it took about a year for me to get out of the literal themed pages- not that it's a bad thing but I just really needed to have matching colors and stickers- then I realized wow it's expensive to try to shop for each individual page and I started to get a little more random. This is a fantastic post! I feel like I know you so well now. I love these early pages- the hands and feet one is fantastic! I may have to try that because I love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have to keep those old pages to go back and look at where you started :). I know I have some like that too. It's funny, because my journey into scrap booking sounds a lot like yours. The circles, shapes, mats...I really didn't like it, so I just kept stamping...I did not want to scrapbook! Like your friend, Joy, my sister Sheila, kept bringing me back around to it and finally pulled me in. Now I can't stop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to see how everyone started in this craft.
    But I have to admit..I still love the post bound albums ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...