Once upon a time, there was a crafty girl who inherited way too many buttons! Locked up in her crafty hideaway, she set about using the many beautiful buttons bestowed upon her. Layouts were created, tags were crafted and mailed. But alas, the crafty girl still had too many buttons....
What is this crafty girl to do? Glue them all to a piece of foam board and see what happens, of course! Especially since the current Second Floor Challenge is found objects, I have to give this a go. And well, let's face it, this is pretty much starting on the second floor for me with all these buttons!
Without a complete vision of what this is or should be, I default to my last initial. After a rough pencil line of that, I spread down some gloss medium and get to sticking:Quickly, I can see that this might take some time, so my little ones gladly lend a hand:
And we stick....And stick some more...
And some more...
Look, the stash is dwindling!"O" is complete, now we begin to fill in the surrounding area:
The stash is essentially gone!
Now what? Perhaps some of the buttons cards can get collaged around. Don't fret...I assure you that none of these are in pristine condition and I am not ruining a vintage item. Besides, my mother knows better than to give me antiques of any real value as they are likely to get covered in paint! LOL!
All collaged around...
OK, this "O" is just not doing it for me. It looks like a pumpkin or a weird gourd or something...
Modeling paste? Sure, let's try that!
That added a nice texture, but it's still just a bit off. Time to completely abandon the "O" and play with some paint:
More circles and paint:
Perhaps some collage papers?
Rubbing and smooshing in:
Oh, look what I found! Left over confetti and glitter! Let's throw some of that on there.
Here we have it:
This is starting to look like one big blob of paint and buttons. Contrast is needed! White to the rescue:
I have no idea what to do here.....
Other than call this a failure. But, that is not the crafty spirit, now is it? Let's forge ahead!
After a bit of pondering and a streak of wild abandon, I have painted some spotted flowery thingies:I am not convinced that this is going to work out, but let's just go with it. How about some Gelato action? Why not! Some blue, purple and green is smooshied all around.
Perhaps a title will provide a bit of direction. Hubbs thinks that since everything else is so "organic" that the title should be printed. OK! I can see that. Since this is starting to look a bit playful, I think a fairy tale title is in order:
While adding the text, some punchinella also makes it's way on there...as well as some doodling with my black sharpie. I sort of went to town with the sharpie, actually. Lots of lines and swirls. This is also the point where I start to like this again!
I like the fun colors and textures:
I like that I have used something that was otherwise sitting in a drawer.
And I like that I liked it, then hated it, and now love it!
A girl had too many buttons....And turned them into a painting for her kiddos to hang in their playroom.
And, now I have a whole drawer free in my craft room! Guess I need to go shopping :)