Thursday, June 21, 2012

Once Upon a Time...

Once upon a time, there was a crafty girl who inherited way too many buttons! Locked up in her crafty hideaway, she set about using the many beautiful buttons bestowed upon her. Layouts were created, tags were crafted and mailed. But alas, the crafty girl still had too many buttons....
What is this crafty girl to do? Glue them all to a piece of foam board and see what happens, of course! Especially since the current Second Floor Challenge is found objects, I have to give this a go. And well, let's face it, this is pretty much starting on the second floor for me with all these buttons!

Without a complete vision of what this is or should be, I default to my last initial. After a rough pencil line of that, I spread down some gloss medium and get to sticking:
Quickly, I can see that this might take some time, so my little ones gladly lend a hand:
And we stick....
And stick some more...
And some more...
Look, the stash is dwindling!
"O" is complete, now we begin to fill in the surrounding area:
Ta Da!
The stash is essentially gone!
Now what? Perhaps some of the buttons cards can get collaged around. Don't fret...I assure you that none of these are in pristine condition and I am not ruining a vintage item. Besides, my mother knows better than to give me antiques of any real value as they are likely to get covered in paint! LOL!
All collaged around...
Gesso time!
OK, this "O" is just not doing it for me. It looks like a pumpkin or a weird gourd or something...
Modeling paste? Sure, let's try that!
Smooshy, smooshy:
That added a nice texture, but it's still just a bit off. Time to completely abandon the "O" and play with some paint:
More circles and paint:
Perhaps some collage papers?
Rubbing and smooshing in:
Oh, look what I found! Left over confetti and glitter! Let's throw some of that on there.
Here we have it:
This is starting to look like one big blob of paint and buttons. Contrast is needed! White to the rescue:
Hmmmmm......
I have no idea what to do here.....
Other than call this a failure. But, that is not the crafty spirit, now is it? Let's forge ahead!
After a bit of pondering and a streak of wild abandon, I have painted some spotted flowery thingies:
I am not convinced that this is going to work out, but let's just go with it. How about some Gelato action? Why not! Some blue, purple and green is smooshied all around. 
Perhaps a title will provide a bit of direction. Hubbs thinks that since everything else is so "organic" that the title should be printed. OK! I can see that. Since this is starting to look a bit playful, I think a fairy tale title is in order:
While adding the text, some punchinella also makes it's way on there...as well as some doodling with my black sharpie. I sort of went to town with the sharpie, actually. Lots of lines and swirls. This is also the point where I start to like this again!
I like the fun colors and textures:
I like that I have used something that was otherwise sitting in a drawer.
And I like that I liked it, then hated it, and now love it!
Once upon....
A time....
A girl had too many buttons....
And turned them into a painting for her kiddos to hang in their playroom.
And, now I have a whole drawer free in my craft room! Guess I need to go shopping :)

37 comments:

  1. So fun! Love how you and your children created a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know what I am going to see when I visit you, I love that.
    You are so freeing with your art, for that I admire you.
    So special that your girls helped create this with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Your kind words mean a lot!

      Delete
  3. Such a fantastic project and a way to get rid of the button stash! Love this idea! and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that! who would have thought that when you started it would turn out like this ! Awesome

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Love that you used up the supplies you weren't so happy about. And yes, now you have that drawer free! Can't wait to hear what you get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for sticking with this, Ashli, until you ended up with something you love. :) I loved seeing how this evolved from start to finish. The transformation is amazing and beautiful. :) Oh, when you mentioned gelato, I thought you were putting some yummy Italian gelato on there. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's funny! Now I want ice cream.... LOL!

      Delete
  7. Another fabulous creation! I love that you finally got to a place you were happy with. If I "hated" any part of it while I was doing it, I might have scrapped the whole thing. But now the buttons are used, you have a fabulous art piece and an empty drawer. Accomplishments on all fronts! :) Yes, shopping is in order.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is awesome but I would have a hard time painting over the buttons and cards:):) Gorgeous piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you were on my mind as I made this - LOL!

      Delete
  9. This is awesome!! Love what you've done- and that something you weren't sure about turned into something you loved!! So fun- and great way to use up some stash!!
    Visiting via the Two Peas forums,
    xErin
    http://erinblegen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You never cease to amaze me. This is breath taking and so abstract! You are such an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa! What a journey to an amazing destination! I. am. stunned! I think you should fill your empty drawer with more buttons! Would love to see what else you come up with in this cool new genre of yummy textural art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I am not too sure that I see more buttons in my future - haha!

      Delete
  12. AMAZING!! Your tutorials are so good. Again, thanks for sharing your process. You really do inspire people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an amazing work of art!!!
    I had no idea your buttons were going to turn into something like that :)
    And I love that your little ones helped!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was on the edge of my seat! It turned out amazing and I love that your girls helped.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can never tell where you are going with a project and was worried when you covered everything in paint ("oh no, poor buttons!"), and I'm still not sure why you started with an "O" but this turned out to be a FABULOUS work of art! You always amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

    This is a fantastic example of allowing the art to create itself and evolve into something you like!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous! It adds such great texture...you are definitely thinking beyond the button!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is GREAT!!! I would have given up when I hated the "O"! I love it when you totally go a different direction and it still ends up beautiful! Mine always end up in the trash! LOL Love Penny P.S> One day I'll show you a photo of my button collection, it could keep you busy for MONTHS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you just push through you'll end up with something great! This is an awesome lesson in not giving up and letting the creativity flow until you are really finished and have something great. :) I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Moly! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Second time lucky with my comment lol! This is gorgeous! And gorgeous isn't even enough to describe it!!! I love that you soldiered on with your project and I agree sometimes it is the best way to obtain something that you really love! Although I only discovered your blog a few days ago I love love love it and all your creations! I think you are one of the most amazing artist I have seen in the last year or so! And I am ever so honoured that you are following my blog too! Thank you so much! See you soon around the blog world! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading my blog!!!! Glad to have you here :)

      Delete
  22. Hi Dear! Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog today, they mean a lot to me! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous creation! Love that it looks nothing like how it started out :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I really, really love how you used up your stash of buttons in such a beautiful way! You are a wonderfully inspiring artist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woow- awesome- I really love how you pushed yourself going further and how this turned out into such a cool textured design! AMAZING! Thank you for playing along with Julie and me :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...