Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Garden Grows - A Mini

In my last post, we played around with some canvas and paint to join in with the fun over at Paper Issues. I was so inspired and so enjoyed working with these materials that I didn't want to stop. I was also reminded how much I loved the Random collection by Crate with my gardening photos. So....let's make a mini! 

I should preface this by saying that I am not so much of a mini book kinda gal. I LOVE to look at them, but I am not so much into making them. It mainly seems due to the fact that I don't scrap chronologically. If I am making a mini about a trip or an event, I start to feel a little bogged down - as if it will never end and I will forever be stuck in those memories. LOL! I really am a 12x12 scrapper at heart, picking and choosing photos that bounce all over the timeline of my history.

I have found, however, that I do enjoy making mini books that are more topic based. I prefer to do them in one or two sittings, not over-think things, get it done, and call it a day. 

An example is the Valentine mini that I did, inspired by Amy Tan's Daybooks. I loved creating this and I still love looking at it. So, with all of that in mind....

Let's book it!

This little mini will be about my love of photographing my garden. So, first we must stamp some flowers with some white acrylic paint:
With the stamped resist in place, let's mist:
Some more misting, a little blending with a baby wipe...love how the stamped design pops!
The two sheets of 12x12 sticky back canvas are cut apart:
Then, adhered back to back to make a little 6x6 cover for my book. I love that the sticky back canvas makes this process super duper easy! I made two pages of the stamp design, so the extra portion is cut into little blocks to use inside the book.
And no mini book cover of mine is complete without some messy stitching!
Alrighty, this is all I have left of my Crate Random and Farmhouse collections and it will all get cut down into strips no larger than 6x12, but of varying sizes. Well, everything except the tiny attacher and alphas of course!
All cut, arranged and folded:
Some Washi wraps around the spine inside and out for reinforcement:
A simple zig zag stitch holds the cover and innards together:
With a variety of photographs at the ready, let's get started on decorating and embellishing this little guy.
And so begins the title work:
A scrap here, a scrap there, some twine, some alphas and perhaps a flower. But, I will wait until the very end to attach that flower so it doesn't get in the way while I am working on the inside.
Now for my favorite part! All the litte bits and pieces get added. I don't really over think this part. Just grab and stick, grab and stick.






Whew! A little break to tidy up my space:
And back to it! I just have a few photos left to insert and some final embellishments:
And now for that flower. It is glued on with glossy accents and that tiny attacher that was spared earlier is now holding the flower in place to dry. Time for a dinner break!
Ok, flower glued...let's make the twine ties. All I do for this is pull out 5 pieces of twine the same length, knot the ends and then cut in the middle. 
The unknotted ends get stapled to the edges of the cover:

All tied up:
And with that, it is finito! My Garden Grows...
Flowers....
and such....
We love it when birds visit the garden...
And find secret nesting spots...
I love to photograph the beauty...
The winter color...
The seed pods and buds...
At Spring time...
There is beautiful texture...
And color...
Flowers too...
I have been gardening here for 9 years....
@ soapHOUSE...
Twenty 12:
A garden and a mini full of goodness:
And details:
My Garden does indeed Grow....
with or without me - LOL!
The End:
Thanks for coming on this mini book journey with me! It was fun! 
Are you a mini book person? What was the last type of mini book you made?

See you next time at The Mailbox!

58 comments:

  1. You are a creative genius. This book is exquisite. And FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Syour mini is so much fun! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous - you make it look sooooo easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool mini book. I haven't come across the sticky back canvas here as yet, but it sounds the goods. I love mini books as it uses a heap of pics in one go, having said that I haven't made a mini book for ages but have been wanting to. So much to do so little time

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely brilliant! I love your work and your generosity. Thanks for sharing.

    Best regards from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, amazing- love your step-by-steps and all the details- WOW!! Visiting from the TwoPeas forum :D
    xErin
    http://erinblegen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Erin! I have been reading you and your sister's blog and I love your new blog too now!

      Delete
  7. Such an absolutely gorgeous mini!
    And I loved your Valentine one as well.

    I get the same way with longer minis or albums.
    Feel a little stuck :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, wow! I love all of the little nuances you put in there like the secret nesting places for the birds/tag. I'm working with a bunch of photos from my garden too but I'm doing a LO, not a mini. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! I am speechless. Stunning! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always do the coolest projects!! LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing so many pics of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing mini album!!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not know how far apart we live, but I am pretty sure you and I are destined to meet each other some day! lol Your mini album is outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing! I haven't done one like this since last year...and I love the idea of using the twine stapled on the canvas cover...need to do that so that stay closed ;) Awesome as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! So many gorgeous details!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooo...what an amazing mini! I'm going back to peruse it again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have scrolled this post more than twice and come up with the same conclusion ~this girl is gonna be a star!!! AWESOME~

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous album! Love how you used up so many pieces of pretty paper all at once! I'm not a big mini album scrapper either but it did get easier when I gave myself permission to use photos randomly -- just like in my scrapbooks. If it's a mini about summer, I find a ton of summer photos and I don't care when they were taken, they all just go into the book. I love the result! I think I have a bunch of flower photos too so this is the perfect idea for that! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay you have totally impressed me here.
    I am a big mini book maker and am so in awe that you had made this in two sittings. It would have taken me weeks.
    That you don't over think it. I think I spend most of my time thinking and re-thinking on how I want to do each page.

    Great little book and I love that big pink flower :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't make many mini books, because I lose interest in the project if it takes too long! But I love your home grown mini, such wonderful product choices and great photos! Think I'll take a break and go snap a few photos of my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely mini book! And so many gorgeous and creative details :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a personal bestie of soapHOUSE mama the photos do this album no justice. This album is just so fun with all kinds of things in it. I love you made the album with the canvas and all the details you put to decorate it. Great project, a real keepsake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this and may make one of my own flower photos! What an inspirational book! I love the "Sloppy stitches" mine are like that, but not on purpose! LOL Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow this mini is truly amazing ! So many details!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute - I love the neutral color on the background of the cover, what a nice contrast to the bright color! The size is perfect for the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love, love it!!! You've inspired me to quite being lazy and start using my sewing machine :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is beyon amazing Ashli! I live how you created your own book of bits of scraps and made it look flawless. I live how you put in your style to this canvas mini. So breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome work! So many wonderful details and beautifully photographed. Thanks for sharing the process with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Man, I just love how you can use so many bits and pieces and make it all look amazing! Gorgeous mini!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ashli, this is gorgeous!! I think you have the "Midas" touch for scrapbooking. What a delightful little book. I do love to make minis, but mine all do seem to be theme based too. They lend themselves well to that. One question - where did you get the white plastic? piece with the holes in it? I had some from long ago, and it is gone, and I would love to find more. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maura!!! That plasticy stuff is called "punchinella" and I bought it from this awesome shop: http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/gauchealchemy

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ashli! I am looking it up, cause it's just so cool!

      Delete
  31. Oh my goodness...what a gorgeous book just bursting with beauty.

    I love to garden too and really enjoyed watching you build this book. Have been away from commenting lately but have peeked back at some of your posts....superb work as always!
    I'm back trying to carving out some time for posting and commenting...

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Soaphouse Mama version of the daybook is all kinds of awesome! So creative and it looks like it was really fun to do too. Beautiful project, Ashli.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks awsome i love that flower stamp where did you find that?and also the sticky back canvas?.You are very inspiring.Take care Kerry xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry! I know we have emailed, but I thought I would post here too :) The flower stamp was a find at Michael's and I order my Sticky Back online, usually from 2 peas. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  34. I saw this over at Two Peas, and I am so INSPIRED! Wow I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And, thanks for stopping by my blog :)

      Delete
  35. This is so fabulous!!! So much detail, just amazed by your work!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sooo wonderful!! The colours, the PP, the photos, the messy stitching... I love it!!

    Greetings from Germany

    Elvan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Absolutely beautiful.......just so gorgeous & scrummy & delicious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is amazing. Absolutely gorgeous!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such an awesome mini! How exciting to be featured on Shimelle's FB feed! =)
    I'm a fan of your artistry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving me the heads up! I don't do FB, so I didn't know - LOL! Also, thanks for stopping by and for your sweet words!

      Delete
  40. 100% inspirational!! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love it, love it, love it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  42. Gorgeous! I love mini-books, but don't manage to make them as often as I like. I love all the different things to look at on your album! x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your extreme level of talent amazes beyond explanation! I am over-the-moon in love with your mini book, it has to be an absolute favorite for me! The amount of detail, embellishments and design...you spare no expense. You are a true talent girl, true talent. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Thank you so much!!!!

      Delete
  44. OMG Ashli. This is PHENOMENAL!! Holy crap! I love every delicious detail you added. I want to make a mini like this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. amazing, love the not-over-thinking part, just expressing yourself and enjoying the creative process. gorgeous result, tfs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...