Thursday, May 31, 2012

Some Little Buttons for a Little Bunny

Look at this button drawer! Oh my! I was so lucky when I asked my mom for a few buttons a while back and she gave me this haul - many that were my grandmother's or even great grandmother's. Such treasures! But, if you read this past post, you know that I have tons of trouble getting a button onto a layout. I am not completely sure why. I love them on other people's work. Maybe it is the circle element. I always feel like they are just floating in space. If you have been a reader here for a bit, you might have noticed that circles are not my thing... I do like my lines :)

But, nothing gets to me more than a huge pile of something that is not being used. So, here we are...on a mission to use up some of these buttons!
Oh look, here I go putting all those circles in a line! LOL!
More lines....
Now they are cut into strips:
Let's revisit the past and do some more embossing:
Perhaps some yellow?
A bit of white...
Some silver could be fun:
And MELT!
Ok, now that just looks like someone squirted mustard all over. Oh goodness...
Maybe more yellow?
And some more white...I think I can work with this.
But first, let's get those other strips fancied up a bit too:
Ooooooh, rainbow!
Pretty! Those get set aside for a future project. (more on that soon!)
Now for that strip of yellow. A perfect background is found in this awesome Dear Lizzy Ruffle Paper. I know, I know... I am going to use the whole sheet. Would it make you feel better if I told you I had a coupon when I bought it? No? Good, because I totally paid full price - HAHA!
Moving On...
The brown background to that strip just isn't working for me. After a failed attempt at a bit of fussy cutting, white paint comes to the rescue:
Now, that gets a bit of drying time. While I wait, I do a bit of blog hoppin' and surfin.' One of my favorite stops in cyber land, Julie Fei Fan Balzer of Balzer Designs, is featuring circles for her and Nathalie's  Second Floor Challenge. This gets the wheels-a-turning! I am already attempting some circle action with the buttons. Why don't I take it to the Second Floor and really do some circles?
I'm going for it! Hambly pulled:
Scraps chosen:
Circles ready to cut! Yep, I totally know those Spellbinder circles are upside down. LOL! I always do that. For some reason I can not get it in my head until the second pass through the Sizzix as to which side actually cuts. 
Second attempt completed and I have Hambly circles!
Now, for some more circles...
Oooooh, I likey that!
Some mist:
A bit more paint:
These ruffles are begging for some fringe:
Love that texture!
Time to layer:
Such a great way to use up scraps! 
A bit more layering:
Hambly time!
I may just start liking circles after all!
Remember the buttons? Let's get them in there. That is where all this started, after all!
Oh look, the line of buttons is cut into more lines. I do love my lines.
Those get placed around the photo:
Now for some Hambly accents:
All tucked around:
Title time! Little bunny on her first Easter.
Well, all this circle play left me a bit dizzy and I forgot to leave room for journaling. Hmmmm, time to dive into the stash. Ormolu card?
Or perhaps one of these cut into yet another circle?
There we have it!
While diving into the stash, I found a little disco heart party! Not a circle, but I can't resist. 
But first, washi!
Ah yes...Disco baby!
Ta Da! I am so glad I pushed it and took this to the Second Floor! Perhaps the circle and I will indeed be friends.
Buttons? I think our love/hate relationship may continue on...
But, I do like what they have done here and the texture they have added! As for the ginormous stash...it is still ginormous. I will have to see what I can do about that. I see more buttons in my future! With rainbows :)
And the ruffle paper? Now I totally wish it came in every color! I would pay full price...again!

Are you friends with buttons? Do you love a good circle? What pushes you to the Second Floor in your scrapbooking? I would love to hear from you!

32 comments:

  1. I LOVE circles, but I really love what you did with the buttons! I might have to use that idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok it's official....I totally think your some kind of creative genius. At first I was like what is she doing, but then you pulled it off beautifully and it all made sense. Really, it turned out beautiful!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love what you did with the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda know what you mean. I do use circles a lot, so maybe not that, and I want to use up my huuuuuge stash so I force myself to use buttons but I do feel weird about it. I mean, it's a button...what does it have to do with scrapbooking? I think if they made more just flat circles with no button holes that would make more sense to me. Anyway, I digress. Really cute layout! I probably would have stopped somewhere half way along, but you totally took it to the second floor!! Can't wait to see those rainbow buttons in action :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love buttons and circles. :) I'm thinking you definitely became friends with both on this fantastic page, Ashli! Can't wait to see what you create with the rainbow buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my golly- this is just awesome- how do you think of all the techniques going on!! great job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely amazing love all the different textures and techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you came up with! Great layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was reading this on the way to work this morning and FELL IN LOVE! You continue to amaze me every day Ash!I love how you made the monochromatic feel of this rock! Your daughter is too precious in this photo and it makes for such a cheery and happy layout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I signed up for the Flickr group for second floor and haven't been able to play. That needs to change. I LOVE buttons and circles!!! So cool how you did this. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun fun layout- I love it! Thanks for playing along with me and Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what I like best, seeing that someone else doesn't always like what they do at first or seeing how beautifully it turns out in the end! Great job! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. Love the toilet paper roll stamp. Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this layout is awesome. Love all the different techniques you have used. Thanks for sharing.
    S

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your process on this one Ashli! Love this layout!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Amazing layers, detail and work that went into this page!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is incredible! I love that you share your step by step with us. When I'min the zone, I don't even think about taking pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are always blowing my mind with your layouts, and you can add this one to the list.
    Stunning.
    I would not have thought to do that with buttons. The only time I seem to use buttons is on a card or such for a baby.
    LOL, full price...are you crazy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just wanted to say "Thank you" so much for your lovely comments on my blog! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a stunning page - and thanks so much for the step by step by step. I find that very inspiring. And I'm off to check out Second Floor. By the way, I have a bunch of my Mom's old buttons (not nearly so many as you), and I like to use them just a few at a time on layouts of vintage photos. So I'm making my way through the stash at a steady pace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always love your layouts and watching your process! You are rawwwkking the circles and buttons here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow - this is awesome and I have a ton of buttons that I just love to stare at....and then somehow they never make it on to my pages. I can't wait to try this~!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous, gorgeous page!!!
    And I cannot wait to see what you do with your "rainbow" buttons :)
    I do like to use buttons at times as an extra touch.

    I think for me, being on design teams have really pushed me to create more and get out of my comfort zone! I find that in the past year, I have tried more techniques than ever before :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do love your lines, and now I love your circles! I try to use buttons but they always seem forced. That photo is precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vintage buttons like that...what a great gift! I love how you dive in and alter them

    ReplyDelete
  26. Once again - such a lovely layout! And I love those rainbow buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Funny about your love affair with lines. I love watching your pages progress. Sometimes I wonder where you're going, and am usually surprised at what comes next, but your pages always end up a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's funny, but I have exactly the opposite problem. I'm primarily a card maker and I almost always use a button or two - or three or four. I recently had to make some cards that (for reasons to long to relate here) could not have any dimension on them. I REALLY wanted to put buttons on those cards. Hardest cards I ever did. Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are a genius! Love how you had repurposed the buttons!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...