Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Some Feathers Finish it Off...

If you read this recent post, you know that I have been working on an album for my Grandfather - my "Papaw." The album documents a recent trip we took to visit him for his 90th birthday. The trip was a whirlwind and full of fun! 

I chose an 8 1/2x11 post bound as to not overwhelm him with size, but still have it large enough for him to see and easily enjoy.

I am almost done...just one more double spread about his birthday celebration! I want this to be vibrant, full of fun, and perhaps a bit crazy...

Here we go!
I have a vision of feathers... But, they will need a pizazzy background. How about some watercolor action?
The colors of the rainbow are all blobbed out...
And now, I am ready to spread with an old health insurance card:
Ah yes, that is fun. It might be the most benefit that health insurance card has ever afforded me - HA! Now, let's mist to get some more "flow" going with all this color:
The blending begins with a little shake of the paper:
Some more paper movement....
A bit of white spatter:
Feather time!
YAY! It looks like it did in my head - that never happens!
OK, the fun photo is placed. I had it blown up....just love this shot!
A couple of other versions that I printed out smaller:
Now for some patterned paper!
A strip here...a strip there...
Washi? Yes, please...don't mind if I do!
Now, here is where I went a bit crazy - I just couldn't stop sticking washi all over the place! I will spare you all the nitty gritty of that...moving on....
Oooooh, an Amy Tan brad is just what this feather needed:
Title time! Hmmmm....the choices:
Ta Da!
Some hap-hazard twine seems to be in order:
I want the 90 to stand out a bit more. Signo pen to the rescue:
Happy Birthday!
We had a great trip!
Full of Fun!
And love!
And with that...
Papaw's album is complete and on it's way to him! 

I learned quite a bit putting this album together. For one, I am not much of a double pager, but it turns out that I quite like them in the 8 1/2 x 11 size. The other thing I am SO glad to have learned is the need to be more aware of the story. I didn't scrap these in order, but they are in order in the book. Just as I do with any other scrapbook. I really wanted Papaw, or anyone else for that matter, be able to enjoy the pictures AND the story while looking through this album. And for it to actually make some sense - LOL! While I always think about this on a single LO, I rarely think about the flow of the story throughout an entire album. I need to work on this! In fact, I hope to work on this during Shimelle's new Cover to Cover class! We are just beginning and I can't wait for all that's in store for us! I hope you will join me :)

Do you focus on the story throughout your albums, or just a page at a time?

29 comments:

  1. So cute! What a great present. The feathers are a unique touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It is so vibrant and fun, and I am sure your "papaw" will just love it. Telling the story...hmmm, something to keep working on here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great, who else would think of adding feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy wow! this is so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you accomplished your goal, this is a fun layout.
    Great idea about using the white pen to highlight the candles :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful page - love that photo and how you creatively brought the fun to life! I do a page at a time, but also think about how each page will fit into the album and tell the overall story. I just don't overthink it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so much fun! Love all the color...and the feathers...so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous as usual, and I loved the part about the "health insurance card, finally being of some use!" LOL Love Penny you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, I love the colors it looks great and I love the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you started the background. The colors are fab! I am taking Shimelle's class too - I have a good album system but have never thought of the flow of the album. Looking forward to seeing what I can do better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe how you went from the first photo to the last. Your work always inspires me so. The final page is FAB-U-LOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a LOT of fun creating this amazing layout! I love how you combined the colors and kept the rainbow going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I love the final outcome, FABULOUS page!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a wonderful, and touching gift, Ashli. He is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love love the watercolors with feathers!! Awesomness!! I generally work on single pages and then group them together in albums for each particular person. Or like my holiday pages may all differ and may not be in order, but they go into one album.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!! I love it! So creative and unique. Thanx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the background with the watercolors and the feathers is great!! and don't you just LOVE when something actually turns out like you envision it in your head?!? :) Your Pawpaw is going to love his book!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. GASP! That rainbow background is a GREAT idea!! Please don't hate me but I'm stealing it- you'll get full credit naturally! :) OI've missed quite a few posts here- better get caught up. Happy birthday to Papaw- he has some fantastic stories to tell I'm sure. I wish mine were still around- I really miss him and his tall tales. Thanks for being so open with the techniques- it's so freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, lots of great techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved seeing this all come together. AWESOME! I didn't know what to think once the feathers were added but you made it a beautiful piece of art. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool effect with the paint and glimmermist, your rainbow is gorgeous. I'm sure your Papaw is gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How in the world do you get all these ideas! You're a scrapbook Picasso!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my gosh woman you amaze me with your skill. The clean and simple gal in me is screaming but I still LOVE it. Would never be able to picture that in my head. Love, love LOVE this! And I don't scrap chronologically. It's whatever behooves me at the moment. My scrapbooks are not in order. Most of the pages are me, though. All events are mini-books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First - thanks for the comment on my layout. I wasn't expecting any, you made me happy.
    Second - Wow love the vibrant colours. You truly are amazing!
    Third - I've been thinking about this whole album thing and mine are just collections of layouts. I might see you in class ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the way this turned out. The feathers are awesome! I actually used feathers once on a layout but it didn't look nearly so nice. :) In fact, I think I vowed never again. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  26. fabulous job!!! would love where your inspiration comes from ~ love your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks connie! I don't know where it comes from - LOL! I think I got the idea for this one because I was thinking about banners, but wanted something more festive...so for some odd reason I thought of feathers - so random!

      Delete
  27. Eeek! Squeal! This is such a spectacular page!! The kindergarten teacher in me adores every rainbow feathered bit! I love the large photo!! Happy 90th to your grandpa.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...