Friday, May 4, 2012

It's Here, It's Here!

Happy NSD (National Scrapbooking Day)!

This time last year, I was not a scrapbooker. I didn't even know there was such a thing as "National Scrapbooking Day." In fact, I thought scrapbooking was nothing more that goofy stickers on bright paper. Ridiculous? YES! So glad I came to my senses! You can read more about this silliness and how I recovered here.

It truly is amazing what can happen in a year! Thanks to a close friend, I am now pretty much obsessed with all things pretty paper. At the beginning of this year, I started this blog to share the process photos that I love taking of my adventures in the studio. Through this blog and twitter, I have made some amazing scrappy crafty friends! One of these friends, Jennifer from Live.Teach.Create., recommended me as a contributor to Everyday Storyteller, an E-Book that is available NOW, just in time for NSD!

This was such a humbling opportunity for me....
I just have to pinch myself that someone took enough interest in my scrapping to put my little name forward in a book that has the likes of Amy Tan, Elle Price and Nancy Nally...just to name a few. My scrapping has become such a wonderful outlet for me, and it is such sweet icing on the cake that others are enjoying it as well! I am so thankful, I just had to whip up a little thank you tag to send with some scrappy happy mail for Jennifer. Let's have a look see at how it came together...

I like to layer up my tags, so first I cut this scrap of Kraft paper from MME into a tag shape:
Now, it's time to break in my brand new Studio Calico template...
...with some white acrylic paint! I love kraft, but I always feel like it needs to be "brightened up." Perhaps this will do the trick...
YES! Pretty!
Once dry, that paint will act as a resist for some misty fun:
Likey so....
Ahhhh - love that contrast!
And for the next layer...let's break in my other new Studio Calico mask:
A little green, A little blue...
Lovely. But, I wish the lines were a bit more defined...
Signo pen to the rescue!
A little scrap of Authentique:
And now some title work with a technique from the fab Revlie:
Lookin' good:
Washi time!
After the washi is layered on, some MME die cuts get stitched on:
Things are coming together:
Now, I need a place for the sentiment. A cut, a mist and a pen line later, we have a little banner tag:
Thank You!
Some Glossy Accents made it's way to those little letter stickers for some more ooomph! (thanks to May Flaum for teaching me that in her recent Field Guide class!)
I like what we have here, but want a bit more pop. So, I take that white acrylic paint and my finger and just edge the pieces a bit:
Yes, I like that!
Some fringe, twine, pen lines and bits of final touches...there we have it!
THANK YOU...
Friend...
I will forever be grateful!
I hope you liked your happy mail, Jennifer! And, if you all liked this post...click on over to grab your copy of Everyday Storyteller! In the book, I share 3 easy techniques for using wet mediums, along with 4 exclusive layouts that you won't be able to see anywhere else. I hope you enjoy it!

OH! One more thing...
If you purchase the book through my blog (using the links above or over on the right sidebar) and email me your receipt (soaphouse@purplemailbox.com), you will receive a FREE PDF showing more detail and step by step processes of the techniques in the book, as well as a complete start to finish of one of the layouts. I hope to hear from you and send you one of the exclusive PDF files!

Happy Crafting on this NSD! I plan to do lots of scrapping this weekend...what about you?

33 comments:

  1. WOW! This tag is unbelievable! So many techniques and details wrapped into this thank you tag. I love all the patterns, and the red tissue fringe. Love everything about it. Thanks for inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tag.
    Everyone is showing off their washi tape today.....maybe that is a hint I should get me some, teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tag Ashli! Love your tutorials! Always so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I was so surprised to read that this time last year you were not a scrapbooker! I thought you'd been at it for years and years. Amazing. Wonderful tag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love what you've done here and you've made it so easy to follow, thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you have only been doing this for a year! Your work is amazing. Congratulations on your e-book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you say "washi time" I think of the song by MC Hammer that says, "Hammer time". LOL! Your layering and choices for this tag are perfect and beautiful! Such a nice thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FABULOUS post today!!! Makes me want to play NOW! LOL!! Lucky Jennifer!!!!!!!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tag turned out super cool, great techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always amazing to see you try out new things! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats for being in the ebook! fun technique with the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, lots of layered goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! It's always so fun to see your steps along the way.
    Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy crap! Ashli, this is amazing! I love all of the layers and how everything just flows off of the original tag. All of the techniques and inky fun! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, being that I am Jennifer, I have comment in. I was absolutely FLOORED and overcome with emotion when I received this in the mail this week. Ashli, you did a FABULOUS job with this and I am stunned by how many techniques you worked in such a small amount of space. I love it and can't wait to hang it up for all to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy NSD and a beautiful gift I love all the detail and all the techniques you have used on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy NSD! Love the tag and how you take us through it step by step - just amazing layers of fun! only 1 year...really??? wow! phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy NSD my friend! awesome tag and love the process! Thank you for the sweet comment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey girl. Love the tag and love more that you have gotten into scrapbooking. YOU are an amazing scrapbooker, mother, wife, daughter and all in all FRIEND. Now you know why I pushed you so hard to get into it becasue I knew you had SO much to share. Your blog is fantastic and everyone loves all you do. I am proud all you have accompished in a short time and can't wait to see what else soaphouseMAMA has in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i can not believe that you just started scrapbooking a year ago! awesome tutorial! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic tag! Love all the layers in the tags and the layers in the mediums you used. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love ur blog! Popping by from Shimelle's class! Catch up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cool layered up tag! Congratulations on your inclusion in Every Storytellers--so AWESOME!! I love your explanatory posts; I feel like I'm going on a vicarious, experimental journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for visit and nice comments on my blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. AHHHHMAZING! And I love that your fingers have paint on them. Mine always look like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This turned out GORGEOUS!!!! Your work always amazes me! Great job! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loved the step by step thru the makings of this tag. it is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love those stencils, I need them! Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful tag! Lovely work.

    I did a lot of scrapping over the weekend and will be posting it a little at a time at my blog. I had a scrappy marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for the step by step. I LOVE to see other folks process. So cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...