Thursday, May 10, 2012

Inspired....


This past weekend, in celebration of International Scrapbooking Day, Shimelle put together a super inspiring video for Two Peas In a Bucket. It is the "watch it over and over again" kind of inspiring... the "make you want to scrap your heart out" kind of inspiring... the "talk to your friends about it" kind of inspiring!

Yes, it is! In fact, my scrappy friend Jennifer and I were chatting and she brought up her idea to take the inspiration of scrapping from a kit and on a budget from this video and give it a try herself. She asked if I was up for the challenge. At first, I thought of all the reasons why I was actually NOT up for said challenge. Reasons like, I don't scrap that way, I won't be able to include everything in my kit that I want, what if the papers don't work for my photos, you get the idea. But, then I came to my senses and remembered how I love a good challenge and how they always pump up my scrappy mojo. So, before I knew it, I was pulling together a kit and diving right into this excitement!

For all the specifics on how Shimelle built her kit, check out her video or Jennifer's blog post

Here you can see a picture of mine. I can't even tell you how many times I would grab an item, only then to put it back as I grabbed another item. I wrestled with this quite a bit!

In the end, I ended up switching out some of the card stock for more patterned paper as I really am not much of a card stock kinda gal. Also, I hope to finish up most of my parent's reno book while working through this kit and since I have used MME for all of that book so far, I continued on with that. I also grabbed my bee stamp set from Maya Road, Pinstripe Mr. Huey, A MME diecut, 2 packs of thickers, 2 rolls of washi and some doodle twine. I am THRILLED beyond measure that tools, scraps and pens are "included." You all know I have to have my pens and doodles!
So, kit assembled, I set about to scrap. Then, something funny happened. I was so afraid to use "too much" of the supplies that I ended up making layouts that I wouldn't normally make! This could be a good thing, yes?

Like this:
Notice how chicken I was with the patterned paper? Only little strips and some fussy cutting made it on there:
 Or this? Instead of patterned paper, I have twine stars!
 And a handwritten title bit:
And, some randomly placed washi. OK, yeah - I do the washi thing all the time...perhaps that's not so new!
Then I realized what I was doing and got a little more brave on this next one. See that big giant piece of patterned paper? Funny thing though....it didn't get layered over another patterned paper, but instead I opted for the safety of kraft.
And since scraps and tools are OK...some confetti had to find it's way on there. After all, it's like using a pattern without using up a patterned paper!
This is the first time I have ever scrapped from a kit of any kind. I am usually not the hoarding type! I am very much a "use more than I buy" scrapper and never hesitate to cut down a pretty piece of paper. But, this was different! In some ways it felt a bit strange thinking this way as I scrapped. But, in other ways, I like that it made me do things I wouldn't normally do. Gotta love that! Oh, and the best part might be the lack of rifling through my letter basket to find just the thing for titling each layout! Freedom!

So, are you up for the challenge? There is some message board chatter about it over on Two Peas. And, all the specifics are on Jennifer's blog, including a link party. This is fun! I hope you will play along!

Are you a kit scrapper?

35 comments:

  1. i love your takes on this challenge! i scrap from bought kits and handmade ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great kit and I LOVE!! your layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Ashli! I love that you challenged yourself and your layouts turned out wonderfully! I hope to put together my own kit this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea Ashli! Love this technique...I might have to try next time I need some scrappy mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like working from a kit, not that I have done it to many times, but I think it gets me more creative, as to only work with what I have.
    I am a paper hoarder, so that feeling you had, I have every time I work on a project, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool layouts! I finished putting my kit together tonight and started on a couple of layouts. It is definitely out of my comfort zone, but I like how it is getting me to use papers from my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these layouts and I watched the video the other day and loved it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those pages look awesome! I never scrap with a kit but I might end up giving it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how very fun!! your pages look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! Great pages and I'll have to check out the video!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have totally floored me Ash! I also have been struggling with the not wanting to use a full sheet. Your stars rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! I really love that first layout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you created patterned paper to fit your own style, Ashli!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wowowow totally cool pages. love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pages even if they are a bit "airier" than usual! lol! I understand all about saving the pp. I never used kits OR cardstock until a current stint on a kit club DT had me doing both! I won't do a single kit page until I have FOUR planned out because I'm so afraid of using up all the precious pp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I work from a kit every month. Ha! But I also love the challenge of digging into my stash and creating my own kit. It is freeing and helps when putting everything together. Always love reading about your process!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just bought that black/grey chevron washi from Freckled fawn and I love it. Your layouts are so inspiring Ashli, love that you left all the hanging threads. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG! Everything is just so gorgeous! The washi tape background, the twine around the stars (i'm so copying that!)......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your whimsical style. I've never seen hanging thread from stitching before. Gorgeous layouts and what a fun way to scrap from your own kit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like these, especially the tape on the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YES, IT WAS A VERY GOOD THING. I loved Shimelle's idea of a budget kit--and to remind my self to use the scraps leftover and create page-after-page.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all three! I might have to lift that first one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to be a kit girl but I have them up- I like making my own decisions about what matches and I also buy early so I usually have what's being offered in most kits- I'm a HUGE hoarder- my goal right now it to make as many things to give away as possible so they are out of my house. I love the pages here- great details- I especially love the stars and the machine stitched strips. Going to watch Shimelle's video next- I may actually have time tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great pages. love your twine stars.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMGOSH! Look at you creating up a storm! LOVE THEM ALL btw! LOL!! Great texture with the stitching and the twine :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are great - love them all....even when you were scared of using too much paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all of those! You always come up with some new inspiring ways of using baker's twine :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing pages! So many wonderful ideas and details. Love the use of the twine to outline the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your pages! Especially love that the challenge is inspiring you to stretch and scrap a little differently. The results are still very much you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loving your pages! Great job with your kit so far!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your take on the challenge!

    I used to get a monthly kit and loved seeing how much I could get out of those supplies before finding something else to use!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...