Monday, May 14, 2012

A challenge, A kit and A Completed Album!


In a recent post, I shared a challenge I was working on based on this super inspiring NSD video by Shimelle for Two Peas In a Bucket. 

This challenge was issued by the awesome Jennifer, from Live Teach Create. It is completely worth a click over to her blog to see how others are doing with this challenge as well!

So, just to recap...here is where I started:
And here are the first three layouts I made:


___________________________________________________________
For more info on the layouts above, check out this recent post. Alrighty, let's move on to the new stuff, shall we? I had a super scrappy Mother's Day and was able to do lots of playing in the studio! So, here is the result and what I was able to do with the rest of my kit...

This layout is lifted from the fabulous Lynn Ghahary over at Two Peas
This next one needs a bit of an explanation...Now, when we set up our kits, Jennifer said that tools counted and in that category we could also include stamp ink. I might have stretched this concept a bit when I used my white Stayz-On Reinker to make the swirlies on this layout...but, I just couldn't resist! Cheating? I'm not sure....
And, with this next one, I really started to feel like I was "stretching it" a bit with the scraps I had scattered about. Here, I stretched it with some twine color blocks, a super fun technique I learned from Megan Hoeppner during Big Picture Classes NSD crop.
 And, I even managed to use up not 1, but 2 rolls of washi!
Scraps from cutting the banners above made their way onto the next layout with some triangle action:
Pickings are getting slim! For this one, I resorted to some fussy cutting with the patterned paper to add interest and dimension:
 Eeeeking out the last bit of the yellow paper here:
 The last one requires a hand written and cut title:
And, with that, all that remains are the tiniest of bits that when paired with a piece of scrap from my drawer, becomes a card. I am SO not a card maker! Can you tell? LOL! Remember this post? The one where we played with my new stamp? Well, the scrap that I built this card on is a left over from that! YAY!
Whew! That was fun! I managed to eek out 11 layouts and 1 card. Here is all that is left!
The best part about scrapping this way? It was FAST! I love how I was able to move through a stack of photos for mom and dad's reno album! In fact, this challenge got me to a point of near completion. All that was needed after the above layouts was to embellish a few photo pocket pages:


 Then, add some washi and titles to the select photos that I printed 12x12:
Also, choose which enlarged photos to leave as is and let them speak for themselves:
And, there we have it! An album FULL to the brim of pages. Pages full of washi, Thickers, twine, patterned paper, mist and journaling. But, most of all...an album that tells a story - a story that my parent's only ever dreamed of.
They have always wanted to build a studio on their property. After many years of collecting ideas and dreaming, they had it built, from the ground up, in place of an old patio. A dream come true! They call it "The Beehive" - a pun on my mom's nickname of "B." I am so honored that they let me scrap this dream and tell this story for them...
As soon as this last photo was taken, I ran out the door to deliver the completed album to mom and dad. What a joy! 

I love a good challenge! I love what I learn, I love the new techniques I try, I love the sense of completion. Thanks so much Shimelle and Jennifer! Are you playing along with the challenge too? I hope so! Don't forget to hop on over to Jennifer's blog and link up.

What get's you going? What pushes you on the final stretch of a scrappy project?



35 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! I bow to you! Everything is great, right down to the card and the album nameplate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job! What an awesome way to achieve cohesion in an album. How do you work so fast? Very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them all Ashli! I always appreciate how much energy your pages have and love how the pages all flow together. Great job with making and using your kit- I"m still in the making the kit stage- I hope to get a ton done as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing! I love each and every page - You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh! This is a post full of lovliness! You have put those supplies to really good use and with some amazing techniques - I love the cross hatched white pen on "dreamt" with the left over triangles. And the wrapped bakers twine is a great tape. I am awaiting my first delivery of tape so look forward to trying some of your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow - all your layouts are just awesome!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing that you got a complete album done with your kit! Your layouts and cards are gorgeous! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to capture your home project in all stages. Great work. Love your style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your pages! Great job using up your kit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ashli-

    I never in my wildest dreams would have imagined all that you could do with this challenge. I have to say I teared up reading about each layout and know that you poured so much of your time into this book and was excited right there with you for you to get it to your parents. You did an AMAZING job! Congrats on getting the challenge done and finishing a story that needed to be told!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK..I am now officially tired from viewing ALL those projects!!!! OMGosh! They're all so fabulous and with washi tape. Maybe I should get some? LOL!! Not a cardmaker, eh? Well, I like what you did - consider yourself one! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...that is an amazing set of projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i really really love the style of your pages. REALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you cranked out amazing pages, Ashli (as always). I can't believe you just have those bitty, bitty scraps left. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. again I'm speechless~ You should have your own TV show~amazing work and such a eye for detail!!! ***love*****

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have really done an amazing job stretching your kit girl! I love them all, but I especially love "Surprise Footings", and "Never would have dreamt"!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that is awesome! Great job!! Love all the paint/mist!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You inspire me! Way to go on completing an album and challenging yourself. Love all your little details that make your layouts YOU too. I could stare at them all day and still find new things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I will never, ever be able to do what you do! But you do inspire me to try different things. Amazing talent you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow your pages are way more innovative and visually complex than what I saw in Shimelle's video. The video was fantastic but you took it to the next level here. The "surprise footings" page is AMAZING! So much movement and power in that design! And I LOVE your card!!! FABULOUS post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how artistic all your layouts are, they're all so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are quite the artist...everypage is very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, it looks like we were doing something similar. Love how you rocked out your kit, amazing productivity and creativity, what a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice job. What amazing results!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also love that you used up two rolls of washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I must be a huge sap, because this post brought tears to my eyes. What a treasure that you have made for your parents! It's simply exquisite, every single bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG!!!!!!!!! Love, Love, Love!!! This is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well done!! Even just the teasers make me want to come and see The Beehive in person.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just amazing! Love all of the texture and so much work you put into each one!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an absolutely cool album!!!
    You have such a unique and distinctive style :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I adore everything you did and to watch the transformation of the yard and home was FANTASTIC! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow! your scrapbooking is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love love love it! Your parents must be so happy! I would've cried if I were your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, this is a work of LOVE.
    Gorgeous pages, I am sure your parents love it and will cherish this.
    I made my FIL and his new wife a book like this for when they built their new house.
    Not as elaborate as yours mind you :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW!! This is great-you did such an awesome job with your kit!! And I think you can throw away the rest of those scraps ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...