Sunday, April 8, 2012

There Has Always Been a Studio - Start to Finish

For fabric and trim week in The Curious Scrapbooker's Field Guide, I decided to play around with some sticky back canvas. I bought my first pack just for this class and I figure it's about time I use it! This stuff has so many possibilities! Love that!

I have a vision of dimensional chevrons here. Not sure where or why I thought this up...perhaps one night while half asleep? So, with some washi tape and modeling paste at my ready, it's time to jump right on in!
No measuring, no cutting...just peel, tear, and place:
There we have it!
Let's get messy....
After smooshing and smearing, the taped area is covered with paste. Now for the hardest part...waiting for it to dry overnight!
OK, all dry and back to it! Let's see what we have here:
ooooooh, I like it!
I wasn't sure at first if I would trim this down, but I actually think I will just build the layout right on the entire piece of canvas. I realize this completely negates the whole "sticky back" concept. But, I am sure that will prove useful on a different project! I have these 2 photos from the 70's-80's to work with. Isn't that fun? I think this tealish paper compliments them nicely - and the cute little Amy Tan envelope doesn't hurt either!
I have my photos placed, journaling pocket adhered, and patterned paper stitched down:
I like it! Now for some balance on the top...
I want to bring in some red to play off the blue, so out comes a strip of My Mind's Eye and the cover from an Amy Tan Daybook. Hooray! They have red and blue. Perfection!
Oh yes...it's workin' for me. I like how the kraft ties in the wood beams in the photos. It's like I planned it or something...HA!
Since it seems to work so well, let's add a bit more of that kraft and stitch it on:
OK, should I dress up the chevrons or leave them be? I am not sure. Time to play around with some things on a scrap of canvas. I have various pens, some mist, and some stain to experiment with:
Alrighty... From left to right, we have: the broad tip of my platinum Zig Pen, the fine tip of the same Zig Pen, a brown Le Pen, a painted line of Mister Huey Clay, some Antique Linen Distress Stain, and a bit of Gold Distress Stickles. 


Hmmmmmm.... They are all a bit harsh, but I really want to do just a little something....perhaps the fine line of Zig will do the trick?
Yes, indeedy! I like it!
Oh, now - look what just came in the mail :) Maybe a touch of Ormolu would be nice?
Now that's fun! I have never used flair before....
The journaling is added to the tag in the pocket. I am working on an album for my parents about a studio they recently built in their backyard. This is a note written by my dad explaining why he wanted to do this for my mom. It's very sweet :)
And now, for a title:
There Has Always Been A STUDIO....
All stitched on:
Remember the gold stickles? I think they need to get on here somewhere! Right next to a bit of twine:
And here we have it! As you can see, the flair ended up getting replaced with some fun wood accents. I felt like it distracted from the title. So, I still have yet to use flair! Maybe next time :)
Love the dimension of the chevrons!
Are you wondering how that pocket is practical in the album? I just cut a little slit in the page protector so the tag can easily be pulled out:
There it is, in it's rightful home!
I do love the chevron trend and this was a super fun way to play with it! I even had a little surprise the evening I was waiting for the modeling paste to dry... turns out Paper Issues is doing chevrons now too! I was thrilled to see that this worked out and I could play along with their link-up. Do you have a layout with chevrons? Hop on over to Paper Issues and link up with me too!

Thanks for stopping by! See you next time :)


53 comments:

  1. Modeling paste is great isn't it!? Another beautiful project :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome - I love how you used the modeling past and did that title at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - I love your chevron technique!!
    And such a great design.
    Love the tiny title intro at the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out great! I like the twine you added and the idea of cutting a slit in the page protector.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out brilliantly! I love it!
    All of the texture is great and you're such a genius at layering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! The chevrons came out so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out great! I love how you let the zig zags really show in the finished page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your process is always fun to see. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So this turned out better than the original pictures I saw on 2peas! I love it! I need to get some of that fun paste and get to playing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! All of it! I love every single detail! I am so happy to have found your blog through Michele Hernandez, and really enjoy your start-to-finish posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your chevron designs, just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the dimension of the chevron design! Cool technique and awesome end result!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you created the background on this layout and your steps and comments along the way! Stunning layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is cool! Thanks for sharing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome layout! Love the modeling paste chevron and that you shared your creative process through photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...the little line of black beneath those chevrons really makes them stand out! Wonderful page!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are absolutely amazing! This is gorgeous! Thank you so much for linking it up at Paper Issues! We featured you today: http://paperissues.blogspot.com/2012/04/there-has-always-been-studio-canvas.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great layout! Love the DIY chevrons.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a spectacular LO! Love how you share your process and the raised chevrons??!! Love! Super terrific idea - so is the slit in the page protector!! brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes I have to agree- the combination of advanced mixed media techniques with traditional page protected scrapbooking is gonna make you a STAR- not that you already aren't- everyone else just needs to realize it. Love the chevron molding paste idea- I suspected it would look this fabulous but I didn't want to waste any of my "precious" tape to try it out- the final piece is SO TOTALLY worth it! Beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! So fun to get messy! I love every last detail! Welcome to the Paper Issues team, Ashli! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! So excited to be part of the team!!!

      Delete
  22. Wheeeee I am SO stinking excited to have you on the paper issues team!! Love that dimensional chevron.. I am so doing that sometime soon. Gorgeous work my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Ashli! Welcome to the Paper Issues team!! Love your work, can't wait to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh!!! Your work is amazing! I can not wait to see what you do for the paper issues team!!! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So excited to be part of the team!

      Delete
  25. I've been following your blog and admiring your work for so long. Was thrilled to see you join PI. Welcome! Off to find your twitter and follow you there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That 3 D chevron sure looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome to Paper Issues! Your work is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Paper Issues Team!!! I am just so stinkin' excited to see you joining us! Your work is just amazing and your step to steps are some of my favorites out there! So excited to see more of your work with Paper Issues!!!
    Hugs,
    Missy Gener

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cannot say enough how thrilled I am to have you join in over at Paper Issues!!! So WELL deserved! Your work and your comments always make my day! Welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay! Welcome to Paper Issues!! It's great to have you join us! Your work is fab!! Love the tut on the chevron, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fab page. Love how you created the background. Also love the different alpha. Way to use them all up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Welcome to the Paper Issues team! Your work is amazing and I know I will learn a lot from you! Can't wait to see more!
    Corri

    ReplyDelete
  33. Welcome to Paper Issues!!! :) I love what you made and that chevron is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  34. 50 comments~are you kidding me:):) AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the detail shots that show the dimension of your chevron technique! Also love that you are scrapping those older photos!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Another awesome layout.
    I hate to wait for things to dry ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...