I have been working away on this for about a month and I am so excited to share this with you! Actually, if you count the time since I bought this canvas and easel and then watched it collect dust...well, then I have been working on this for a year and a half!
Once upon a time, I used to do collage art. But, ages have passed since I had put a brush to a canvas. I didn't know where to start! What would be the subject? What colors would I use? What would be the focal point? I think I was intimidated!
I am happy to report that The Curious Scrapbooker's Field Guide and May Flaum came to this neglected canvas's rescue! During weeks 4-8 of class, May gave us all the challenge to work on a "big" project. Something like an art journal, organizing albums, or a canvas. May chose a canvas to work on and showed us amazing and inspiring videos of her process. So, I decided this was the perfect time to dress up my canvas in waiting!
I really enjoyed having this in the works. It was so fun to dab a little here and there as the mood would strike. No pressure, just play...in between layouts, while the laundry was drying...etc...
To get started, I gathered some neutral items from my stash and collaged them on with matte medium for the background. While it was still wet, a little mist was sprinkled around:
Once dry, I applied a very light gesso wash and then some more mist was spritzed around. I love the drips! At this point, I am not sure where I am going with this....
Hmmmm, after some pondering, I believe I have decided to focus on what I know, what my little daily life is all about right now: my family and our home. So, time for some VERY basic paper piecing with MME and Lilybee for a house. Some KI Memories border strips formed the "grass" and "trees." Then, using modeling paste and a stencil, some "clouds" were added:
I then wanted to add some verbiage. I hand wrote it on a piece of white tissue paper with a Pitt Pen, then adhered it with matte medium. I love how the paper becomes transparent and the texture this gives! (please forgive the reflection, it was still drying :)
After pondering this for a bit, I decided it might be fun to have some large people cutouts in the foreground, as well as some smaller people... a little family, if you will.
So, I found some Authentique paper with rows of people. After doing an image transfer technique (more on this in another post) and some stitching, I adhered strips to the canvas.
Then two larger people were cut from Lilybee paper. Feeling good about this, but wanting to add some "movement," I did some circle stamping with white acrylic paint and smooshied some Gelatos around....
OK, I at this point, I really like what I have going...but still know it is not finished. I ponder, and ponder and ponder some more.
I know! The bottom needs to be a bit more balanced with the top, so I grabbed my paintbrush and played with some red, green, and blue. These were actually some old house paints - and this may give you some idea of my "decor." LOL.
After playing around with the paint, it started to feel more finished... TITLE TIME!
I made my title using a technique I saw on Revving It Up. She is amazing and showed a wonderful title technique in one of her videos. My little title needed some contrast, so out came some tape. I really can't seem to do a project without it these days!
And, of course...some pen work around the stamping and such gives a final touch.
And there we have it! After futzing away for about a month, I shall call it done! It is a bit tricky to know when a project like this is actually "finished."
That once white and dusty canvas is now full of color and waiting for the perfect spot in my home. I had fun! I think I will have to do this again :)