Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Family - MIxed Media Canvas

I have been working away on this for about a month and I am so excited to share this with you! Actually, if you count the time since I bought this canvas and easel and then watched it collect dust...well, then I have been working on this for a year and a half!

Once upon a time, I used to do collage art. But, ages have passed since I had put a brush to a canvas. I didn't know where to start! What would be the subject? What colors would I use? What would be the focal point? I think I was intimidated! 

I am happy to report that The Curious Scrapbooker's Field Guide and May Flaum came to this neglected canvas's rescue! During weeks 4-8 of class, May gave us all the challenge to work on a "big" project. Something like an art journal, organizing albums, or a canvas. May chose a canvas to work on and showed us amazing and inspiring videos of her process. So, I decided this was the perfect time to dress up my canvas in waiting!

I really enjoyed having this in the works. It was so fun to dab a little here and there as the mood would strike. No pressure, just play...in between layouts, while the laundry was drying...etc...

To get started, I gathered some neutral items from my stash and collaged them on with matte medium for the background. While it was still wet, a little mist was sprinkled around:
Once dry, I applied a very light gesso wash and then some more mist was spritzed around. I love the drips! At this point, I am not sure where I am going with this....
Hmmmm, after some pondering, I believe I have decided to focus on what I know, what my little daily life is all about right now: my family and our home. So, time for some VERY basic paper piecing with MME and Lilybee for a house. Some KI Memories border strips formed the "grass" and "trees." Then, using modeling paste and a stencil, some "clouds" were added:
I then wanted to add some verbiage. I hand wrote it on a piece of white tissue paper with a Pitt Pen, then adhered it with matte medium. I love how the paper becomes transparent and the texture this gives! (please forgive the reflection, it was still drying :)
After pondering this for a bit, I decided it might be fun to have some large people cutouts in the foreground, as well as some smaller people... a little family, if you will.

So, I found some Authentique paper with rows of people. After doing an image transfer technique (more on this in another post) and some stitching, I adhered strips to the canvas. 

Then two larger people were cut from Lilybee paper. Feeling good about this, but wanting to add some "movement," I did some circle stamping with white acrylic paint and smooshied some Gelatos around....
OK, I at this point, I really like what I have going...but still know it is not finished. I ponder, and ponder and ponder some more.

I know! The bottom needs to be a bit more balanced with the top, so I grabbed my paintbrush and played with some red, green, and blue. These were actually some old house paints - and this may give you some idea of my "decor." LOL.

After playing around with the paint, it started to feel more finished... TITLE TIME!
I made my title using a technique I saw on Revving It Up. She is amazing and showed a wonderful title technique in one of her videos. My little title needed some contrast, so out came some tape. I really can't seem to do a project without it these days!
And, of course...some pen work around the stamping and such gives a final touch.
And there we have it! After futzing away for about a month, I shall call it done! It is a bit tricky to know when a project like this is actually "finished." 

That once white and dusty canvas is now full of color and waiting for the perfect spot in my home. I had fun! I think I will have to do this again :)




35 comments:

  1. I love this! Beautiful colors! I adore the way you created the clouds with the paste and the boy/girl figures are darling! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way it turned out. You have an amazing artist eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! You need to do more mixed media! You totally rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing what you create! This is so nice! Love the happy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! I LOVE this :) Love the drippage and all the layers you have added. The paper piecing is fabulous. A total wonderful canvas, you must be very proud.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kidding me? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just love when you tackle a project that's been sitting a while? This is really amazing and I like how you did bits, then pondered, did a bit more and voila! A fantastic finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GORGEOUS! Sounds like this class has been perfect for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your canvas is awesome and I loved seeing the progression!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't canvas so fun?!! I love them and you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just watching the step outs was so much fun! LOL!! What a great project :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome.
    I have never done a canvas before, looks so freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my heck this is gorgeous! Love me some mixed media and now I want to bust out my canvas. I'm sure this will be beautiful decor in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous canvas and layouts you have here! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This turned out totally amazing! You rocked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful page! You are a master making of cool backgrounds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow it's really neat to see the progression of this project! It turned out great. Love the potty people on it and all the color! (BTW, we NEVER count the time that our stuff collects dust hehe) Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog today! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am have been wanting to do a canvas again, and keep putting it off...I think this gets me moving in the direction to just start playing. LOVE how it all came together...gorgeous...I know you have this hanging up somewhere to just sit back and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool is this going to look in your house??? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how this ended up looking! Great job girlfriend! Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is wonderful! I have a couple of canvases--maybe I will give one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What amazing colours! I have never done canvas work, but this makes be truly inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so much fun to play, love your creation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ohhh myyyy worddd... this is incredibly amazing! fanatastic work! totally LOOOOOOOVE the result and -as always- thanks so much for sharing your steps!
    Happy Easter :-)
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. just stopped in to say have a wonderful easter or holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWW, thanks Connie! Happy Easter to you too!!!!

      Delete
  27. this is soooo beautiful <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I saw the word "family" appear it was like WHOA!- you were 100% right! I LOVE the punk rock look of the paint drips and collage background- I think I would have stopped there and my piece would have failed- I LOVE the mix of bright and dark colors here!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMGoodness! Your work is just amazing! Your use of mixed media with scrapbooking supplies is fantastic! I love all your tutorial photos, too! I heard the news - welcome and hope to get to know you! Fellow Paper Issues member - Thienly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...