Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Summer Girl - Start to Finish

I have been having a great time incorporating SMASH pages onto my layouts! The other day I was admiring Amy Tan's Daybooks at my local Archiver's, coupon in hand, when it occurred to me that I could do the same with one of those. So, into my basket it went! I took the binding apart as soon as I got home and decided to get to work on a layout.

Here we go!

First, I grab this gorgeous navy paper from Tersa Collins and a couple of pages from the daybook:
After cutting some fabulous yellow flowers from another TC paper, I start futzing with placement:
After a bit of tinkering....I am liking this...
Some of Amy Tan's Daybook tabs find their way onto the page. Seriously, how cute are these?
Before moving further, let's get some splatters on there:
Splatters, butterflies and washi tape tucked here and there:
Now for some doodle twine. But, you know what? It's on a card type package. Those leave creases in the twine. That drives me CRAZY! Let's spritz with some glimmer to get those creases out. Plus, a little sparkle never hurts :)
All spritzed up:
While that dries, I will try a fun little embossing techniques from my class with May Flaum...
Embossing powder is sprinkled around loosely on the page, with nothing adhering it:
And, the heat gun gets applied...from UNDER the page!!! How fun, and rather obvious is that? I have always wanted to sprinkle embossing powder around, like a mist of sorts, and have never known how to stop it from blowing all over with the heat gun. Another, "Why didn't I ever think of that???" moments. HAH!
Note to self: Perhaps this is a bit easier when there are not 4 or more layers of paper for the heat to go through!!!!
After getting the powder hot enough to adhere to the page, I hit the areas from the top to finish the heat embossing. Why did I add bits to the bottom of the photo? Well, that's where my heat gun melted the picture! Oh my. Learning some lessons here...
It's all good...I like what we have going so far....
Title time:
I like that!
Journaling and pen lines....
Perhaps a nice final touch will be to color in some of those great shapes in the background with white...
YES! It is finito!


This was my first time working with Teresa Collins papers. I really enjoyed it! They have a beatiful texture and feel. I also really had fun with that heat embossing. A bit of a learning curve was involved...but, I think I will try that again! 

I must say, I am also having fun using pre-made books in different ways. I will most certainly be using the Daybook pages again - they are great for layering! Have you ever tried this? Share a link to your project in the comments below :) 

Thanks so much for visiting the mailbox today! See you again soon :)

28 comments:

  1. Ummm so I've tried that random embossing powder thing and it was AWFUL!!! How is it you got it to look smashing??? SO JEALOUS! I must admit that mine was an experiment with color and the combo was terrible to start so it doesn't count- I will now try it again! I LOVE what you did here! I was already in love with the Teresa Collins paper but you basically just sold the collection tome- Teresa you Miss Scrap Momma here a commission. Beautiful design- beautifully executed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also forgot to mention that the twine thing is genius- that is all. Oh and thank you- I just try to ignore my creased twine till I finally wig out and chuck it- I hate the creasing too. Now THAT is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the random embossing technique! I actually heat from below even when it is stuck down just to secure it before touching it up on the top! I posted a card yesterday using that technique, actually! :-) Your layout is super fun and I love the layers and layers of goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic layout. I love how you used the Amy Tan -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute and I love how you walk us through the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That layout is Fantastic! Love all of the layers and the embossing, seriously, awesome technique! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing all of the different techniques you use and the tips you give! This is a gorgeous page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally loving the layers and mixture of techniques! Don't you just love your white Signo pen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the different layer and techniques... thanks for passing on the info... Love the layout and the way your creativity works... hehe Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another beautiful layout & like the way you walk us through your process too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many cool ideas here where do I start? Taking apart the day book - heat embossing loose powder and coloring in those shapes with the white pen - love it all! I am in love with navy paper these days - need to break out that white pen asap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I just love*love*love this! Great layering, techniques, the sweet photo...just all around perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your layers make my heart happy. Some new techniques for me to try - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just when I think your page looks awesome, you go and one up yourself :) Great layout.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative and oOh,oh, I have one of those daybooks. I had thought about incorporating a few wee bits and pieces into my layouts, but never thought of using the whole daybook as you did. Great effect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. now... that is one AWESOME page with heaps and heaps layers... I am loving it and al the bits ad pieces you popped in there.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog too :)
    Weekend is nearly here.. enjoy :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice layout! I love the way you use the embossing powder and baker's twine. So original.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea on using the smash pages on your layout. I like the embossing powder, great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMGosh, Ashli! So clever in incorporating the SMASH/Daybook pages into the layout. I like your idea of the embossing powder...can't remember if you tried to heat the back to the page first to heat and melt the powder without blowing it away first...just a thought. I am a FAN of Teresa Collins and that particular collection is first on my list :) THanks for sharing your process! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea to use those smash book pages on YOUR page!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome idea! I love taking the book apart to use on a page. And love the idea of using the embossing powder sprinkled like that...hey, that's how we learn even if it didn't heat all the way through...I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I have barely begun to add mist to my pages and here you are misting the twine! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loving your style. Super inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how i love this page and your style, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...