Thursday, March 29, 2012

First Bite - Start to Finish

We just wrapped up resist week in The Curious Scrapper's Field Guide. So fun and so many possibilities! I have big plans in my little imagination for this layout! Stamping, Die Cutting, Misting, Taping.....hmmmmm, how will this all work out?


Let's find out, shall we?


First, I feel the need to stamp, with paint. That will be a cool resist, don't you think?
oooooh, pretty:
Let's make that resist more interesting! After die cutting some flowers, I prepare to spritz:
Oh, fun! A little grey here, A little green there...
Kinda cool, huh???
What if I use my finger to color in those flowers with some distress? Oh, not so much! I don't like that. Good thing I chose a flower that will get covered!
Since that didn't work, let's try some grey outlining. I think I like that:
Now time to play with the photos. These picts pose a bit of a challenge for me. That is my baby girl, taking her first bite of "food." However, she is wearing a blue bib and hubster is wearing a teal shirt. Not only do these colors clash a bit, but they are not the least bit girlie. We SO did not plan that well! We must choose papers that will work, but I want to keep it somewhat feminine. The flowers are a good start, I think :)
OK, here we have some Echo Park Boy's Life paper and white cardstock. I have seen so many videos where scrapper's build a little packet of layers separate from their background and it always looks like a great way to work....so, let's give that a go:
Our little packet needs some twine:
Hmmmm, still needs something.....
WASHI! So fun!
Time to commit and glue:
And, add in some tidbits:
OK now, here is the moment where I step back and HATE it! 
Oh, my. I was so hyper focused on each element: the resist, the pen work, the packet...that I forgot to look at the WHOLE thing. YUCK! 


Time to go to bed. And yes, I totally layed in bed and redid this LO about 15 different ways in my head. And yes, it was the fist thing I thought about when I woke up and all throughout the day until I could get back in the studio. Goodness me!!!
Finally back in the studio! Now we dismantle:
New background?
Better?
We'll go with that and resort to a simple stencil mist:
Simple, but still pretty:
Time to tear apart that packet. I do believe I have decided that I am not a packet scrapper! LOL!
And there are all the pieces:
Let's punch:
That's nice - and perhaps adds some femininity...
Before going further, I want to make some floral type shapes out of this stencil pattern:
Likey so....
Photos placed, border strips layered. So much better!
A bit of stitching for some texture:
Oh, and look - these foldies tie in the colors and they are girlie! A Dear Lizzy jar doesn't hurt either!
Some more pen work:
Title stitched and in place:
Journaling and pen lines added:
And, DONE!!!!


Oh my goodness! We made it! Talk about a complete do-over! What happened to the other background? It's on my craft table. Maybe I will cut it up and use parts of it on another layout. Maybe I will give it to my daughter to play with. Maybe I will throw it away. I'm not sure yet. What I am sure of is that this was a great learning process! I learned more about what I like and what I don't. Perhaps the most important lesson for me was to NOT HYPER FOCUS. I must remember to think about all the little details and techniques as they will relate to one another. 


Whoooh. Thanks for coming along on that ride with me! This is certainly not my most favorite layout. But, I am so glad to have made it to the finish line! I think it will do just fine! Another story told. Another layout for the album. That is a victory in an of itself. LOL!


Have you ever done a complete do-over, dismantling a layout and putting things back together? What are some of your crafty lessons learned? 



34 comments:

  1. I actually like both pages, especially the tying up patterned paper with string technique! But it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who is not happy with a finished page. Just so it doesn't happen all the time, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting. I do like the techiques on the first but the changes made a big difference. I've had a few questionable layouts lately but was too lazy to change them. I can relate to the scrapinsomnia

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I totally love the background of the first before the washi... I think it took away from it. I live the new layout and the flow to it. The punched strips flipping up adds some femininity to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes... I've done lots that have been ripped apart and done over. The biggest lesson learned was that it was okay! It means that I experimented and learned more about techniques, what go together, what I like and don't like. I hope you don't toss that first background. It looks so fun! Loved those doodled flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I really liked that stamp you were using but I think you made the right choice with the second layout, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. Love how you shared your process. The outcome looks really awesome. And I really like the first background you did too. Save it for another layout! Personally, I try not to overthink by gluing down my pieces early. When I have less pieces to move around, I feel less conflicted...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed that you practically do a layout a day, wow. I only have done one layout this year :-O
    I would never re do a layout. As you can see I would never get anything done if I did that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job! i am impressed that you redid the layout. I NEVER redo layouts even if i don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yes I do - do overs quite a bit. love how you revamped it. totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well...I liked both layouts. :P Though I must admit that the second one is my absolute favorite of your layouts. I'm in love with those clusters of flowers around the jar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMGosh...go back to photo #5...soooo pretty! You are going to have to do that again and make it work. lol!
    I DO love the redo though. And isn't that Dear Lizzy jar perfect?! Love how you did your title. Great page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work~I love both of them!!!! The jar is fabulous how you used it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how it turned out. I have done the same thing - just about finished a layout, slept on it, re-did it in my head 10 times and the next day tore it apart. Most of all, we need to be happy with it ourselves! But I do love that original background. Hopefully you will find the right project for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got an error on my first and second attempts at leaving a comment. :( Yes, I've redone a few LOs over the years. I have to be happy with it. In fact, I have a page sitting here that I'm hemming and hawing about redoing or throwing away. Anyway, your end result is beautiful and I'm glad you're happy with it! The overlapped punched papers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh you make me laugh! I think I've said that before though :) Your commentary is like we're right there in your head! I do live the packet, butagree that the scallops are more feminine. I've gone back and re-done layouts before. Sometimes stuff just bugs me, what can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  16. this may not be your favorite layout but I love it! And I loveeeeeeeeeeeee your shareof the process..it's always amazing to see this :-))))))
    Syvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love the borders, the jar, and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A packet? How fun. And yes, I redo. Sometimes I redo my redos. LOL

    I do not hate your first attempt, I like it very much. But I like attempt #2 better. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks heaps for sharing the process with such huge detailed photos. It makes us lesser mortals feel 'normal' when things just don't work out. I haven't done any re-dos yet as I just get so frustrated with myself that I throw it out. I know that's bad for me too as it makes me hesitant to do anymore quickly as I'm scared of 'failure'. Me getting over that step is a work in progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was that a Tim Holtz flower die on the first LO? I am looking for a good flower die for my Big Shot. I can't decide but I love the one you used. Your redo turned out pso pretty?

    Have a Blessed weekend,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! that was tim's tattered floral Bigz die. It's a great one!

      Delete
  21. Love the final outcome, but I love the background you created for the first one, too. I MUST FIND THAT STAMP!!! And I really like what you did with the stencil, tracing out and fragmenting out the design with the white pen. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! That stamp was released with the Basic Grey Oxford collection, in partnership with Hero Arts :)

      Delete
    2. Found it at Scrapbook.com on clearance! It is on it's way to my hot little hands! Thanks you!!

      Delete
  22. What a completely different layout from the first one!
    So fun to see the process though :)
    And yes, you are not alone. I have definitely completely taken a layout apart and started over from scratch before!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh how could this not be one of your most fave layouts???? I *love* it!!! All the wonderful layering, the stitching, the pen work....amazing layout once again my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm guilty! I've redone layouts before. A bad layout is like a bad investment - get out as early as you can to minimize the loss! I don't redo much lately as I know better what works for me, and I usually scrap in my head for days before I even pull my supplies out. Scrapping in sleep helps too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh love the stamp top! Have to get it too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for your comment! :)

    I really like the final result, though the first version was very nice too. I usually never redo pages, but maybe next time when I'm not satisfied to my page, I will.. (keeping your layout's before and after photos in mind :---)).

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really liked both layouts! You do great work, even when you think it's bad! I do love how you used the flower dies to make your first resist. Love Penny

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love a happy ending - it turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, die cutting the papers and changing the color palette made such a huge difference! Interesting to see your progress, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I really hope you didn't throw that first background away!! It was super interesting with the math and the black lines emphasizing the flowers- I like the second page a whole lot- especially all the layering you did I think you can still "rescue" that first page. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...